It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have You Heard of This Thing Called "The Superbowl"?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Yeah, their usually the long-haired or pretty boy Mediterranean types...

They get plenty of stick from the crowd if they do that. Thankfully, you don't see much of it in the lower leagues

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Man City fan?

You guys seem to have a minimum of 4 per game don't you?

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

stumason

Sremmos80
You can still easily tell how long is left in the game.

Just to clarify, in case you think otherwise, I can use a clock

It's the stop/start nature of it - it seems to be more "stop" than "start"...

And to make a point, in the time it has taken for our little exchange here, only 5 minutes has passed on the game clock, but almost 15 minutes in real time...

Just to make a further point, we still have 7 minutes left of the 4th quarter.... It started over half an hour ago....

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Yup...Very Odd being a city fan atm, still remember playing Macclesfield at their place.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Well, I'm not watching the Super Bowl (2 words). I don't care about either team and I'm not that desperate for football to need to watch two teams I don't really care all that much for.

I didn't care at all for football for a long time. I had to play intramural flag football in college and get the PlayStation game and start seeing how different offensive and defensive sets worked against each other to really start get a true appreciation for the game. All things considered, it's a little like a chess game when you take it to the level of coaching and offense/defense and game management. Certainly it is more like a strategy game than basketball or soccer.

As to the 12th man, well it's the crowd. Because there are so many potential offensive plays and each play can be altered at the line of scrimmage, the QB barks out signals in a cadence. It's very important that the players can hear that cadence and the signal because the QB can read the set of the defense and decide to change the play at the line. Since they only have so many seconds to decide to do this and get the play off ... well, a crowd that is obnoxiously loud can have a detrimental impact in terms of either forcing delay of game penalties, false start penalties, or time outs. And yes, that does happen, I've seen it many times at games.

And what they get paid is immaterial. Do they deserve to make what they make? Well, I know they deserve to make enough to pay for their health for the rest of their lives. Football is very, very hard on you physically. I only ran track and field up through college, and I'm feeling it physically. Track and field is nowhere near as hard on you. And so long as people enjoy watching them play and pay to watch, and they can make a full-time job of it, they deserve to be paid for it. Btw, this holds true for even the musicians you talk down as nothing.

Free market says that if someone will pay for it, it's worth the money.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

I was watching rugby on espn the other day and thought it looked fun, but I had no clue what the hell was going on.
And excuse my lack of info on soccer, about the only time we see it here in the states is when they show a riot.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

stumason

Yeah, their usually the long-haired or pretty boy Mediterranean types...

They get plenty of stick from the crowd if they do that. Thankfully, you don't see much of it in the lower leagues

I hear you

To each, his or her own. Folks like al sorts of things. I like sports, play sports, enjoy watching sports. The most intersting thing is the whole " looking down upon" those who like sports or enjoy watching football/this superbowl. I dont care about what others like enough to bitch and moan about it... makes me wonder why this is such a high priority on some folks' list to make a big deal about it. Weird to me, anyway. I dont care if you like watching Idol or soap operas or animal pron.. Im sure as hell not enough into pointing fingers at others to say anything and Im not shallow enough to actually judge someone concerning it. I really dont give a good damn what others do to be honest.

Carry on.. pat yourselves on the back concerning how elevated above it some of you are...

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Sremmos80

I get information that will later help me carry out a conversation with an individual that is like minded and enjoys then same things I do, you know, a friend. I am sure you have some and share passions and interest with them.

ohhhh yeah, and I actually left this part out because I honestly didn't want to "hit too close to home for people" but you brought up this aspect..

WHY in the name of all that is wholly, do you need "help" to carry on a conversation.. let alone with a "like-minded individual" or.. a friend?

how does that make sense?

what actual information is exchanged in these conversations???

here's the difference in when my friends and i "shoot the sh*t", between what i overhear at the pubs (when entire CROWDS of "friends" are "exchanging information":

-WE usually talk about musicians and music that the others hadn't heard about yet. There's a give-and-take where we can all be exposed to something NEW that we can enjoy

-THEY tend to discuss the SAME teams as they usually do, discuss players, discuss past games, and then usually spend a majority of the time discussing the personal lives of the players, "exchanging information" like which player have attractive wives, etc..

-WE also talk about films, art, archeology, physics, philosophy, and yanno.. things you generally find in books... not to say that this "make us smarter" at all, but there is a diversity of interests amongst my friends and i, and never is a conversation lacking in a "common interest"

-THEY tend to talk about sports, the weather... uhh... oh and "how's the wife 'n' kids?"

starting to see where i have trouble relating to what you're talkin about?

Are you this critical of soccer (futball) fans as well?

oh i can extend these criticisms to include just about every team sport haha. perhaps you could offer reasons why I SHOULDN'T be so critical?

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I guess we will see in the next few years.
Seeing as how the NFL has plans to continue this money less venture
And having a american based pro team over there is the equivalent to a semi pro team over here that yes you are correct no one cares about here either.
NFL is same thing as the EPL in the UK
Just different fans,that enjoy different sports

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

I'd just like to point out here that I don't "look down" on anyone and, at least from my perspective, it is simply banter - just the same how you guys give us stick for "soccer"...

No offence meant, just having fun!

It is boring though

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

stumason

I'd just like to point out here that I don't "look down" on anyone and, at least from my perspective, it is simply banter - just the same how you guys give us stick for "soccer"...

It is boring though

Nah, I wasnt talking about you

Besides... I am not a real NFL football fan myself! I prefer college ball.. although my alma mater ( Ole Miss) has the worst team in history! LOL! The husband if from Nebraska... so at least we have the Huskers.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Hoosierdaddy71

I was watching rugby on espn the other day and thought it looked fun, but I had no clue what the hell was going on.
And excuse my lack of info on soccer, about the only time we see it here in the states is when they show a riot.

One of my favourite Friends episodes is where Ross plays Rugby with some English blokes who are friends with his GF...

Let's just say he wasn't quite expecting it!

I used to play a lot as a youngster, I prefer it to Football (Soccer) personally, but it can be tricky to follow if you don't know the rules but it isn't too dissimilar to NFL. Rugby League is probably closer to NFL - they even have padding, bless 'em... Rugby League is more popular in the North of England and, as far as I can tell, has many similarities so you might find that easier to understand.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by HyphenSt1

You know what you remind me of?

One year, my husband and I were at GenCon, which is one of the largest gaming conventions in the US, in Indianapolis. They happen to hold it in their convention center which is their indoor football arena, too. So, on Saturday is the traditional costume contest and everyone at the Con is dressed up in full costume, and we are all doing our geeking out thing. And, of course, most gamer geeks consider themselves superior to mere football fans (smarter you know
).

Well, the Colts were having a pre-season game in Indy on the same day.

Priceless is watching a couple of fully geeked out, costumed gamer geeks walk by a set of Indy football fans who are likely fully fanned out and painted up and seeing the Indy fan glance at them and then call them freaks to his buddy. Only to pull up behind the geeks and here them talking about the stupid football idiots.

Irony is so rich sometimes.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I love how people like to act like a person CAN EITHER pay attention to sports OR pay attention to "important" things.

A lot of us enjoy sports because we grew up playing them.
Athletes make millions because the PEOPLE say they're worth it. They say that through ticket sales and memorabilia purchases.

Read threads like this each year around this time. They come across as pretentious yet envious at the same time. With a smattering of judgmental posts to boot.

Don't like sports? Good for you. Some of us do.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Advantage

stumason

It is boring though

Nah, I wasnt talking about you

Besides... I am not a real NFL football fan myself! I prefer college ball.. although my alma mater ( Ole Miss) has the worst team in history! LOL! The husband if from Nebraska... so at least we have the Huskers.

Here, here!

I'm a college fan, too. KSU Wildcat. I've been a fan through some of the worst years in college football although I was too young to really feel that pain. My parents ... they are a different story and earn the title of real fan for what they endured.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by HyphenSt1

Until you stand next to me or carry on a conversation with me about football you have no idea what I would talk about.
Don't lump me in with the select few people you have been around.
You basically just said that people that talk about football can only carry on 2 types of conversations, football and small talk...
Generalization much?

I imagine if you can't stand to be around football fans then you wouldn't go to a pub full of them so how do you know what the majority of them are talking about?

Football has a history that can be talked about just like music does, rising and falling starts and rising and falling strategies.
Like when Miami ran the wildcat offense for an entire game and became one of the only teams to hold the ball the majority of the time and still lose the game. You know something new that happens and offers a give and take for people to talk about.
Or the introduction of the no huddle offense that led to the Denver broncos breaking almost all offensive records.
That is why you watch the game every week, to see the new things that happened so you can bring that information to shoot the sh*t with my friends

Music industry is just as bad as the NFL and die hard fans and crazy passionate people.
Concerts are the same thing as organized sports event

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
So who won and what was the score.

I don't like US football much. I can't see why the sissies need all that armor. In Aussie Rules we don't use armor, it slows the game down. Why do they only play for an hour? Is that all they got?

It is almost like the players have no brains. You have to have a defense team and an offense team and you switch them over because what, they can't learn the other skill set.

If you want action, real fast paced action, take a look at Aussie Rules Football and see how real men play with balls.

P

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I did not read a single previous post, I simply looked at the title and thought to chip in the following.

I HAVE WON! Every year it is all about getting through Super Bowl without ever knowing both of the teams playing. Again this year I have won. I still do not know who is playing!

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   

pheonix358

Seattle, I think....43-8

pheonix358
I don't like US football much. I can't see why the sissies need all that armor. In Aussie Rules we don't use armor, it slows the game down.

Now that is a crazy game! An oval pitch, with a whole load of goal posts and really, really short shorts....And do you kick the ball, or punch it, or bounce it? What is going on?

pheonix358
Why do they only play for an hour? Is that all they got?

They dragged that hour out into 3 1/2!!

pheonix358
It is almost like the players have no brains. You have to have a defense team and an offense team and you switch them over because what, they can't learn the other skill set.

HAHA - that gets me too!

pheonix358
If you want action, real fast paced action, take a look at Aussie Rules Football and see how real men play with balls.

P

Oooooh, matron...

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

pheonix358

I don't like US football much. I can't see why the sissies need all that armor. In Aussie Rules we don't use armor, it slows the game down. Why do they only play for an hour? Is that all they got?

P

Heck yeah!!! Now THATS an awesome sport!!

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join