It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have You Heard of This Thing Called "The Superbowl"?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Sremmos80

If it is so simple why can't you figure out how much time is left when there is 4 quarters of 15 min and a clock showing what quarter it is in and the remaining time left...
Pretty simple stuff there.

it IS simple isn't it..??

so you have quarters, time-outs, jersey-numbers, player statistics, and the score.. wow it seems like you'd have to be a GENIUS to keep track of it all.. but in the end they're all a bunch of a numbers, and when the game is over THEY ALL GO BACK TO ZERO..

so what are the LASTING effects and enjoyments that come with being a "fan"? or is that enjoyment fairly fleeting, and maybe that's why so many "fans" act ridiculously aggressive after the game is over..?

again, what do you get out of it..??

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

LOL the nfl is already talking about hosting the super bowl out there, years and years away still but they are already talking about the idea of it.... It is taking off just fine there

link   
reply to post by HyphenSt1

I haven't been able to find ONE thread (though it is tough to sort through the searches results on Samaru) which is critical of the Superbowl, and i find this a bit disturbing.

Hmmm.

Well, it isn't exactly "about" the Superbowl, but, check out searchlightsinc's thread
Americanization of the Sheep British.
to get a feel for how folks feel about it.

Plenty critical.

link   

Sremmos80
You can still easily tell how long is left in the game.

Just to clarify, in case you think otherwise, I can use a clock

It's the stop/start nature of it - it seems to be more "stop" than "start"...

And to make a point, in the time it has taken for our little exchange here, only 5 minutes has passed on the game clock, but almost 15 minutes in real time...

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Watching The Superbowl whilst sober has certainly given me a different perspective on the game.

I've watched previous Superbowls and thought they were ok - but in them instances I'd just returned home from a day in the pub. No pub today and its been a particularly tedious exercise, not sure if its the one-sided nature of this game in particular or simply that its a crap sport to watch on TV without anything to alleviate the pain.

Someone called it 'The Superbowel' in another thread, I think that's more appropriate today.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I like football, so I watch it.
Please don't take the actions of a few idiots as the typical fan.
Now soccer is another story, pick up the stupid ball and run! It's ninety minutes of fast paced action and a score of 3-1 is a blowout. They really need to score more goals for as fast as they play. Those fans get into some nasty riots.
I do understand what your saying though, I have never understood the attraction to American idle and all those other reality shows. Whats the attraction? I guess thats how you feel about football.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

true.. but as you said.. that game was played by the MAYANS! quite some time has passed, and I just would like to think that humanity could be judged by grown-up, logical standards, instead of a sorta special-Olympics criteria of "well.. at least we don't decapitate the losers" or appealing to tradition..

TRADITION does NOT mean something is GOOD and unless it has very consistent effects, I honestly think one could make the case that some of the worst/most ridiculously illogical aspects of humanity right now, is due to tradition.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ItCameFromOuterSpace

comparing football to chess is like comparing checkers to chess, all are games but the levels of strategy needed to play them vary. (i personally think football ranks below checkers"

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

edit on 2-2-2014 by 3u40r15m because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Someone called it 'The Superbowel' in another thread, I think that's more appropriate today.

Yeah!!! Exactly.

I've endured the first half, including the ad(vert)s, while husband shushed and scowled at me for trying to speak.
boo.

But, here where I live it's on Fox. Ick. I've noticed all SORTS of "provocative" camera shots and color-shifts that lead me to believe the whole damned thing is actually rehearsed and choreographed - like they just give the guys a 'script' for "what plays to try" and then improvise with another "multiple choice" response when different outcomes occur.

Anyway - yeah - several hours of propaganda, polish, fakery, and 'show'. Ugh.

I can barely stand it. Hubby went down to the bedsit to watch the second half - so now it's at least muted from my position. Today I needed to go to the grocery - our cupboards were BARE, and since yesterday was payday, I got to replenish. It was as busy as I've EVER seen it. Even on eves of known-to-be-coming blizzards/ice storms, etc....it doesn't get busier than it was today.

What a scam.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Sremmos80
LOL the nfl is already talking about hosting the super bowl out there, years and years away still but they are already talking about the idea of it.... It is taking off just fine there

Just because they are hosting games, doesn't a fan base make. Filling Wembley a couple of times a year isn't much of a feat. 3rd Division Soccer teams can do that.... Once you can get 300,000 people out every week to see a live game (as the EPL does), then it would have "taken off".

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by HyphenSt1

Joy, that is what i get out of it. Pretty simple actually. I get information that will later help me carry out a conversation with an individual that is like minded and enjoys then same things I do, you know, a friend. I am sure you have some and share passions and interest with them.
I bet every once in a while you all get together and either conduct an activity that you all enjoy or watch others do something that you all enjoy. It is a very common practice that people have been doing for years.
Football is just one of those things that is on a very large scale, and not even the biggest scale like you stated before.
Are you this critical of soccer (futball) fans as well?

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

ItCameFromOuterSpace
reply to post by unb3k44n7

If you actually took the time to fully understand the game and its nuances, you'd realize that football has more in common with the game of chess. It's actually very complex.

Um...I've been a football fan (Packers) since the day I was hurled out of my mother's womb. Lol.

My post was about understanding and delving into the OPs perspective. I can understand and review other perspectives without being biased of the social norm or personal preferences. I am a person who will think alternatively and skeptically about just about every subject at any given time despite my background or personal history or those of others.

I'm a country girl from a small town and am passionate about the sport and always have been (esp. my state's team)

Chess is cool too.

edit on 2/2/2014 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ItCameFromOuterSpace

Thing is if they are signed and you are not, they aren't peers. May as well just be a fan

I guess I'm just not so easily impressed by someone acquiring a contract..

I just started my own record label, I've "signed" myself and others... now do i get to "look-down" upon musicians who are signed, because now I'M in charge of who gets signed? no. I'm not interested in even thinking that way, and if you do insist on thinking that way, i hope you enjoy your time as a life-long "fan"

I'm just not satisfied with that.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Hoosierdaddy71
Now soccer is another story, pick up the stupid ball and run!

That's how Rugby was invented. It's like American Handball, but for real men who can take a hit without padding and not stop playing to sort out their jockstrap and have a break....

Hoosierdaddy71
It's ninety minutes of fast paced action and a score of 3-1 is a blowout. They really need to score more goals for as fast as they play.

My team, Reading FC has scored 13 goals in the past two home games and 16 in the past 4 games overall.

Hoosierdaddy71
Those fans get into some nasty riots.

No, they don't. At least not in the UK any more. I take my kids a long, including my 3 year old and they have a whale of a time.

edit on 2/2/14 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I'm sorry you almost got hit by a Seahawks fan. I'm watching it and I think its because I just do it every year - it is like a national holiday - brings us all together (doing the same thing). I don't get so nuts about it that I get stupid though. Just a tradition.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Sremmos80

LOL the nfl is already talking about hosting the super bowl out there, years and years away still but they are already talking about the idea of it....

Heaven forbid.

2 games a season wouldn't warrant a London franchise in the NFL - I know I'd hate to think I'd invested any money in such a venture.

.... It is taking off just fine there

There's an American Football team based near where I live, I don't know anyone who goes to watch it.

I do know one person who plays it, I used to work doors with him - he's absolutely enormous, struggles to string sentences together and can not pronounce words of more than two syllables.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I prefer soccer/football. I LOOOVE it when the drama queens lay on the ground and fake cry and roll around.. like REAL men.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

My Team has scored 115 goals this season

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join