It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How is your winter shaping up? Do you see climate change in your area?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I live in the Buffalo New York area and yesterday I went to the Buffalo Bills game, usually this late in November we are walking through several inches of snow and battling frigid temps. It was warm enough yesterday to wear a light jacket. It got me thinking about weather changes so I looked up the data for November so far.

www.erh.noaa.gov...

For the month of November we have had only a trace .02 inches of snow as opposed to an average of 19 inches, also we have had 14 days with above average temps. I thought it might be interesting to follow the rest of the winter and see what the weather brings. It might also be interesting to compare different parts of the country, and world, kind of like an unscientific survey. What is happening in your part of the world?

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Well here in Chicago I think fall is comming now. Almost at the end of November, odd....

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   
In Ky, our winter has been gradually shifting to the spring position. Whe I was a boy, I can rember it snpwiong at the end of almost every November. 25 years later, we are lucky (or unlucky
) to get snow that sticks untill January.

This year, we have had one of the wettest years in our history. The odd thing was, we went for months without rain
I spring, we had maybe two weeks of dry weather. Now that its fall, the same thing is happenning. If our weather stays this wet, we will have a record breaking snowfall this winter.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:42 AM
link   
In Toronto its been an unuassually cold a wet summer followed by an unusually warm fall and well its not as wet as usuall either. The weather has been screwy all year.

[edit on 22-11-2004 by sardion2000]

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
As sardion said, the summer was cooler than normal (though I didn't see it as wetter than usual). The fall has been very much like fall... it's lasted longer than it normally does though there hasn't been as much rain as we've gotten in years past, and up to now, we've gotten no snow, which is unusual. By this time, we've normal had at least a little. It's also still warm enough to just wear a sweater out, when the normal temperature would normally be much lower.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
NW Ohio here...

so far this fall / winter has been very mild....

Highs were in the 50's all last week and supposed to be there again this week....

Lows in the middle 30's to lower 40's... little rain and no snow yet...

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The most accurate weather predictions are here at this link for the US, year after year this is usually close.

Oh, at least until the next Nuclear War that is.

www.almanac.com...

[edit on 22-11-2004 by DrHoracid]

E_T

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Here in eastern Finland last week has been much colder than normal weather but it looks like there isn't much snow coming. (cold air just can't hold much humidity)
There should have been snowfall couple days ago with warmer temperature (only couple degrees instead of -15 C)
Now they are predicting next one for Thursday but it might be as well that this cold polar air blocks that air from coming to here.

PS. sardion... was there summer? I didn't notice that... or maybe first week of May was that.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by E_T
PS. sardion... was there summer? I didn't notice that... or maybe first week of May was that.

It sure didn't feel like summer it just felt like spring and fall merged and created a wild beast

parrhesia, it was way wetter than normal. All you need to do is look at the leaves for Black spots(which is mold from too much rain and moisture in the air)

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Seeing as I can't stand the heat, we had a lovely summer.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

parrhesia, itwas way wetter than normal. All you need to do is look at the leaves for Black spots(which is mold from too much rain and moisture in the air)

eh? no, it's not mold... it's a disease.... And serious fungal infection of trees is not indicative of a wet summer, but of a wet spring, which we had this year.
It's called Maple tar Spot....

Here, check this...

Maple Tar Spot

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
ah thats what that is. But I also seem to remember we really had a wet july and then august cleared up a bit but it was still cool. June i remember as being wet as well cause my parents commented about how little they have had to water the garden this summer. Thx for the link btw.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Well, seeing as Toronto is a large place, maybe we experienced different weather phenomena

From what I remember, June was nice and warm, with little rain, as with July and August. I was disappointed, as we only got one really good storm. I remember not having to water the plants as much, though, because it wasn't terribly hot out and they weren't getting scorched, which can lessen their need for water.

Oh well, at least we can agree that it's above average temperature now.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
We have had a terrible summer and the winter seems to have leap frogged autumn.

At the moment we have a real cold spell which is strange for this time of year.
We dont normally get frost untill late november.

looks like all you in the US are getting it mild compared to us in freezing England.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I tell you what I have bushes in the house that only bloom in spring and they have done that for 7 years since I has been in my home, they bloom during April and May, yesterday as I was looking outside in the back yard I notice something white on one of the bushes I walked to it and to my surprised the bush is blooming and is only November.

Yes definitely something not right.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
In London last Friday the temperature dropped quite a bit from around 12c on Wednesday to about 7c felt more like 5c on Friday, well Friday seemed to start out warm then by the afternoon you could see your breath. It caught me out, i caught a cold "sniffle". It was cold over the weekend then today it was 14c. To me it just seems the weather cant make its mind up. What�s it to be cold or mild.

Snow here in London is pretty much non-existent these days. We get it, but it will last a couple of days and then disappear. Winters have been mild here for the about the last 6 years. Temperature fluctuations have become quite common. Its annoying because you dress up warm as it was cold the day before then get outside to find out its turned warm again.

E_T

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
From what I remember, June was nice and warm, with little rain, as with July and August. I remember not having to water the plants as much, though, because it wasn't terribly hot out and they weren't getting scorched, which can lessen their need for water.
LOL
Here willows (which normally grow in wet places) growing in sides of ditches went "little" brown because they got overdose of water... half of the summer under water!

And water was still pretty high 1� week ago... until everything froze and air dried up.

Originally posted by kode
...Wednesday to about 7c felt more like 5c on Friday, well Friday seemed to start out warm then by the afternoon you could see your breath.
Don't talk about so hot temperatures... thinking of those causes me to feel hot.

Today was just perfect warm winter day, -10 C. Couple last days were -15 with little northern wind. (harder wind can make effective temperature to drop much under -30 C easily)
There should have been snowfall (and warm front) in saturday and sunday but I din't see nothing of it. Next warm front should come in Thursday but I doubt it, looks like this cold polar air might be blocking these warm fronts... why didn't this blocking come in summer? There wasn't many times with more than two days without rain.
Althought that blocking in July 2003 didn't feel so good, two weeks with daily temperature between 32 and 34 and over 25 C at nights.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
In Southern California, the weather gurus had forcast sprinkles for Sat. night. We had the most unbelievable thunderstorm!! I have lived in CA for 20 years and I've never heard thunder that loud!! 70mph winds were whipping the pouring rain and it snowed down at the 1000ft elevation level - that almost NEVER happens! I've been through many a bad storm, having grown up in Wisconsin, this one was freakish. It was a storm they're calling an "Inside Slider." It only happens rarely (last one was 10 years ago) with an artic cold front moving from central Canada, down through the US into Nevada and then west through California. Today, it's frigid! no more rain but the temp is in the 50's, wind chills in the 30's. Brrrr - no more calling my family back in WI bragging about our beautiful weather!

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I live in Saskatchewan Canada,we straddle part of North Dakota and Montana.Lived here for 25 years and every year seems to be different but I have heard forcasts that Hudson Bay will probably be ice free by 2050.It seems to be a bit warmer in the winter but not hotter in the summer,who knows.They also forcast that Florida will be mostly under water in the future,maybe they will dike it like Holland.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I live in north central Georgia. The summer was very hot and dry with drought conditions. This fall seems very warm to me.
We've been getting a little rain lately. Temps are in the 50's and 60's.
Like marg, I have many flowers still blooming that are usually gone by now.
I've been picking red roses lately! The day lillies are still wanting to bloom too.
Some spring bulbs are wanting to come up now and it's too early.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join