It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Washington and the Freemasons

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
In a thread on another topic, this was brought up. Here is a letter showing that George Washington only set foot in Masonic Lodges once or twice in 30 years, and was very concerned about the Bavarian Illuminati. He separated himself from the Masons in his later years, despite reports of a Masonic burial. It is also in his journal, which some claim is a hoax, but the letter is straight from the library of congress. I did not want to sidetrack the other thread with this so I figured making a new one would be best. Here is the letter.

memory.loc.gov

George Washington to George Washington Snyder, September 25, 1798
IMAGES
The Writings of George Washington from the Original Manuscript Sources, 1745-1799. John C. Fitzpatrick, Editor.

[Note 7: Of Fredericktown (now Frederick), Md.]

Mount Vernon, September 25, 1798.

Sir: Many apologies are due to you, for my not acknowledging the receipt of your obliging favour of the 22d. Ulto, and for not thanking you, at an earlier period, for the Book8 you had the goodness to send me.

[Note 8: Proofs of a Conspiracy &c, by John Robison.]

I have heard much of the nefarious, and dangerous plan, and doctrines of the Illuminati, but never saw the Book until you were pleased to send it to me.9 The same causes which have prevented my acknowledging the receipt of your letter have prevented my reading the Book, hitherto; namely, the multiplicity of matters which pressed upon me before, and the debilitated state in which I was left after, a severe fever had been removed.

To see the letter for yourself with a transcription available go to the library of congress online: memory.loc.gov
and type "Washington Illuminati" into the search engine.

I don't have much interest in this, but it would appear to be a point of interest to many. Hope this clears up the confusion.

###SNIPPED###

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others
edit on Sun Feb 2 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Freemason doesn't automatically mean Illuminati.

Many former presidents from the 18th and 19th century as well as many notable icons during this time were known Freemasons. Freemasonry has a long-standing history in this country and It's a legitimate system/institution. Freemasonry is still largely instituted, influential and prevalent in all corners in today's society.

There are many conspiracies about freemasonry which have 'some' substance... but fact being in it of itself, [It's] just a legitimate society with members including, but not limited to, leaders and influences whom have deep roots in this country.
edit on 2/2/2014 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by unb3k44n7

That wasn't what the thread was about.

Anyways, Freemason doesn't mean Illuminati any more than Freemason means Knights Templar or Rosicrucian.
edit on 2-2-2014 by FreeWillAnomaly because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I'm not understanding why GW being a Mason is bad. Or why you need to prove he wasn't really a Mason.

I went to the GW Masonic Memorial and his involvement with the Freemasons was very well documented, so much so they built a beautiful temple to honor him. There they had a museum with many artifacts from his personal, public, and Masonic life. I don't remember every last one, but I know when he laid the cornerstone of our Nation's Capital, he was in full Masonic regalia. I'd say he was a full blown Mason, and one of the most highly regarded. Check the memorial's page for a brief description of his involvement:

gwmemorial.org...

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeWillAnomaly

I answered your thread appropriately

What was this thread about then?
Maybe you should re educate yourself on the 'actual' history and double check your sources.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

IWant2Believe323
I'm not understanding why GW being a Mason is bad. Or why you need to prove he wasn't really a Mason.

I went to the GW Masonic Memorial and his involvement with the Freemasons was very well documented, so much so they built a beautiful temple to honor him. There they had a museum with many artifacts from his personal, public, and Masonic life. I don't remember every last one, but I know when he laid the cornerstone of our Nation's Capital, he was in full Masonic regalia. I'd say he was a full blown Mason, and one of the most highly regarded. Check the memorial's page for a brief description of his involvement:

gwmemorial.org...

Yes, that is the question.

Why did Masonry create the perception that he was so heavily involved in Masonry if by his own admission he was not involved in Masonry for the last 30 or so years of his life? Once or twice in a lodge? There are dogs who had more influence in Freemasonry than this guy.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

unb3k44n7

I answered your thread appropriately

What was this thread about then?
Maybe you should re educate yourself on the 'actual' history and double check your sources.

Appropriately is a subjective term.

IDK, I think the library of congress is a decent source as far as letters from dead presidents go. As reliable as a source can get, I would say (which isn't saying much).

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

As an extension to what IW2B said above, I too don't get what you're trying to imply or accomplish here... or why you seem to think/imply that Freemasonry is by default some sort of bad or evil regime or think/imply that GW was not a Freemason when history proves he clearly was. Is that wrong to you that that he was one? Do you disapprove of Freemasonry?

So, like I said, I did respond to your thread appropriately.

ETA Sources are subject to interpretation and/or slander, and agenda-driven just as any other verbal or written source.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

FreeWillAnomaly
In a thread on another topic, this was brought up. Here is a letter showing that George Washington only set foot in Masonic Lodges once or twice in 30 years...

You cite the hoax journal of Christian hypocrite Joseph Ritner but refused in the other thread to address these points:

On September 18, 1793, first President George Washington, along with eight other Freemasons dressed in masonic regalia, laid the cornerstone , which was made by silversmith Caleb Bentley. Allen, William C. (1995). In the Greatest Solemn Dignity: The Capitol's Four Cornerstones. Government Printing Office. p. 7.

In 1788, Washington, with his personal consent, was named Master in the Virginia charter of Alexandria Lodge No. 22. Randall, Willard Sterne (1997). George Washington: A Life. New York: Henry Holt & Co. ISBN 0-8050-2779-3.

Additionally, Washington was sworn in at his first inaugural with the Masonic Bible of St. Johns Lodge in New York.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

unb3k44n7

As an extension to what IW2B said above, I too don't get what you're trying to imply or accomplish here... or why you seem to think/imply that Freemasonry is by default some sort of bad or evil regime or think/imply that GW was not a Freemason when history proves he clearly was. Is that wrong to you that that he was one? Do you disapprove of Freemasonry?

So, like I said, I did respond to your thread appropriately.

ETA Sources are subject to interpretation and/or slander, and agenda-driven just as any other verbal or written source.

This is a perfect example of lame propaganda. Claiming that I ever said Freemasonry is a bad thing is just as lame of a trick as claiming that Washington had any substantial involvement in Freemasonry.

The letter he wrote about the Illuminati, which can be found in the library of congress online, and his journal that some Masons like to say is a hoax both indicate otherwise.

Why the propaganda campaign?

Freemasons are not inherently evil because they are Freemasons. They are inherently evil because they are people. Propagandists, Freemasons or not, are inherently lame af.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Geo. Washington was buried in a Masonic ceremony, he took his presidential oath of office on a Masonic Bible held by a fellow Mason, and wanted his artifacts left to the Masons to exhibit and honor. This just seems an odd argument to make. Methinks "weird avatar guy" (who seems to have a very nice avatar in fact) got under your skin and has now done a Seattle Seahawk drub to your Denver Bronco "huh?".

edit on 2-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

Lame avatar guy, I will reply to you once and only once. Before I know it, you will start calling this letter a hoax. You surely already would have if it wasn't in the library of congress.

"I have heard much of the nefarious, and dangerous plan, and doctrines of the Illuminati, but never saw the Book until you were pleased to send it to me.9 The same causes which have prevented my acknowledging the receipt of your letter have prevented my reading the Book, hitherto; namely, the multiplicity of matters which pressed upon me before, and the debilitated state in which I was left after, a severe fever had been removed. And which allows me to add little more now, than thanks for your kind wishes and favourable sentiments, except to correct an error you have run into, of my Presiding over the English lodges in this Country. The fact is, I preside over none, nor have I been in one more than once or twice, within the last thirty years. I believe notwithstanding, that none of the Lodges in this Country are contaminated with the principles ascribed to the Society of the Illuminati. With respect I am &c."The fact is, I preside over none, nor have I been in one more than once or twice, within the last thirty years.The fact is, I preside over none, nor have I been in one more than once or twice, within the last thirty years.

So, there you go. Straight from Washington's letter about the Illuminati. For the last 30 years or so of his life, he was not a Mason. Being in a lodge once or twice in 30 years hardly qualifies you as a Mason.

Why the propaganda campaign?

(post by FreeWillAnomaly removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

FreeWillAnomaly
Lame avatar guy, I will reply to you once and only once. Before I know it, you will start calling this letter a hoax. You surely already would have if it wasn't in the library of congress.

Non sequitur ad hominem poster; The dispute is not the Washington Illuminati letter which is real, the dispute is your disingenuous use of a hoax journal by an avowed anti-Mason, which you have yet to link, that supports your feeble argument that George Washington somehow left Masonry when the links above show he was actively involved in major events in his life. Whether a man happens to attend lodge regularly, infrequently or not at all once he is raised is not the determiner of his Masonic status, whether or not he has paid his dues and does not demit, as Washington never demitted, is the ruling factor.

I know this is difficult for you to grasp, with you obviously not understanding how to properly source evidence, but this site and forum are a bit more exacting in their levels of proof then you are used to, which is to say zero. So the burden is on you link your alleged journal and allow the members here to view the source material.

edit on 2-2-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer but least he is not a hypocrite

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

You are not helping whatever cause you are on by calling people "lame avatar guy" so please show an once of respect to Augustus please.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I have no cause other than to show that Washington was not a Mason. He was involved in Masonry when he was young and impressionable and later left, and Masons decided they would claim him anyways. Like I said, if you are a Christian until your early 20s and an atheist until you die - you were an atheist.

Lame avatar guy doesn't show many people respect (other than Masons). Lame avatar guy's avatar is extremely lame, but I have shown him respect as a person. As for his avatar, I can't show respect to something that ugly. But way to ride his coat tail. Bravo. Very illustrious of you.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

You do know that many of your posts here are against T&C? I bet you are a returning banned member.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

FreeWillAnomaly
I have no cause other than to show that Washington was not a Mason. He was involved in Masonry when he was young and impressionable and later left...

Then how did he do this if he left:

On September 18, 1793, first President George Washington, along with eight other Freemasons dressed in masonic regalia, laid the cornerstone , which was made by silversmith Caleb Bentley. Allen, William C. (1995). In the Greatest Solemn Dignity: The Capitol's Four Cornerstones. Government Printing Office. p. 7.

In 1788, Washington, with his personal consent, was named Master in the Virginia charter of Alexandria Lodge No. 22. Randall, Willard Sterne (1997). George Washington: A Life. New York: Henry Holt & Co. ISBN 0-8050-2779-3.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Lol the troll is over here too.
Now he is resorting to calling people lame and making fun of their avatar.
Wonder what your next thread will be.
Keep quoting your one source vs something that is very well documented.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

boymonkey74

You do know that many of your posts here are against T&C? I bet you are a returning banned member.

I have not violated T & C.

I wouldn't even consider myself a "member," just a poster. I wasn't aware this was a club. Regardless, definitely not a returning banned member. But if you would like to make a bet, I could set up a paypal account.

Anyways, I am entitled to my opinion of lame avatar guy's avatar. If you think I violated T & C, report me for it. Masons like to report people who are not Masons, so you probably already tried if you are really slow enough to believe I did.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join