It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California drought: State Water Project will deliver no water this summer

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLotLizard

Sarcasm is difficult to read. One can't hear "tone". I try to add (sarcasm) at the bottom of my thread when I do that . btw gave you a star for understanding how the aqueducts work....

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
..and yet the fracking companies will continue to poison MILLIONS of gallons of aquifer waters Every Day..

I have to wonder at the wisdom of building more & more houses in an arid climate too, we are seeing that here. Even though they KNOW there is not enough water, they continue building!

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Drought is not a sign of global warming, rather global cooling. Warming temperatures result in more moisture being lifted to the atmosphere in the form of clouds from the oceans. Think of the tropical climate during the jurassic period. My conspiracy mind thinks maybe they are turning off the water with HAARP though, to lessen the radiation from Fukushima. Maybe they dont want to irradiate California and their Hollywood reptilian friends....

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

You are the expert then! Silly drought is all made up just to make someone money, you have proved it with your observation!

If you say so stud? I thought I was making a claim.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Nice before and after picitures of California lakes,roll mouse over. This does not look good. I found this information of weather underground looking at some east coast weather. The lakes are dry to the bone ! Folsom Lake appears to be the in the worst of shape.

Before and After Lakes

New Update on California from Weather Underground.

California Drought Reaches New Level of Severity Never Recorded on U.S. Drought Monitor in the State

edit on 5-2-2014 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

randyvs
If you say so stud? I thought I was making a claim.

Well we know what you're not making, and that is any sense.

Maybe come summer when rationing is enforced and water rates sky rocket it will finally sink in?

I am sure fines for excessive use will finally wake you up to the severity of what is occurring out here.

Maybe you will like paying almost double in price for meat, vegetables, fruits, dairy, nuts and grains in the very near future, but I won't.

Hopefully though, conditions will improve. ~$heopleNation

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
While here in the Great Lakes regon they expect water levels to rise this spring because of heavy snow and lake ice coverage.

Move east

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

SJE98

Nice before and after picitures of California lakes,roll mouse over. This does not look good. I found this information of weather underground looking at some east coast weather. The lakes are dry to the bone ! Folsom Lake appears to be the in the worst of shape.

Before and After Lakes

New Update on California from Weather Underground.

California Drought Reaches New Level of Severity Never Recorded on U.S. Drought Monitor in the State

edit on 5-2-2014 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

I live 15 miles from that lake. It is amazing how empty it is as no one has seen Mormon isaland in years. They flooded a small town when they filled the reservoir. Right now people are getting 4x4's stuck out there.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Making a claim that is patently not true may get you called out. Stud? Really? Umm okay.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

randyvs
I don't believe this BS at all.
I'm presently 500 ft away from the California Aqueduct.
Flowing three ft. high at fifteen to twenty mph conservatively.

Uh, how can you not believe what is known by all of us in So Cali. Look at the freaking water reservoirs. Are you kidding me? They are the lowest I have ever seen them. Also the lack of snow in the mountains means this spring NO WATER running down the mountains. At least very little. Man all you have to do is look around you. What part of Cali do you live in. I am in LA county Valencia. My gosh even the lakes are drying up!a
edit on 5-2-2014 by kurthall because: added

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
It's happened before....

It'll happen again.

What has changed isn't the fact California is, for all intents and purposes, a desert south of Sacramento or so, and below the Sierra/Coastal Ranges...but the fact that whatever water was there has TOO MANY PEOPLE who all figure being Californian is worth taxing the resources in that area beyond the breaking point.

The real nasty thing for California is...they have two priorities that are EACH life and death in different ways and become 100% mutually exclusive in times like this. You have a produce and agriculture industry that has supplied a good part of the world with their fresh stuff for as long as transport as made it possible in distance, coupled with the obvious need people have to bathe once in awhile, flush waste and ..oh, drink some as well.

Without Ag, California dies in real ways. Without drinking water, death is literal and .. err.. well, just can't happen.

Perhaps, (and I'm just spitballing here...) but maybe it's time they invest in desalinization? If the Middle East spent as long as America has coming up with excuses for why it can't be done vs. just doing it? They couldn't support a fair % of the life their land does over there, right now. It sure isn't all coming from wells and Saudi Arabia isn't a rainy place, as the one example.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

A Desalination plant is already in the plans for San Diego and another one being seriously discussed in Monterey. The big bummer about Desalination is the bill that comes with it. Ratepayers will see a near doubling in their water bills. This has made it a very difficult idea to sell too the taxpayers. California has little to no choice in the long term though.

Personally I think that there is going to be great pain from this. Solutions will be found, have to be found. Due to the mysterious gyrations of Climate Change most climate scientists are seeing a long term problem for California with longer and harsher droughts, fire seasons etc etc.

I can tell you first hand that California Beef is going to go through the roof and most of our local ranchers have sold off 90% of their herds already. Those that are keeping their cows are buying hay imported from other states.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

It easy to point fingers at those trying to maintain the ecosystem for destroying local
economies but the truth is the ecosystem is what makes us rich and not an economy
based on waste! If we put as much effort into conserving our resources and producing
quality goods than playing the blame game our world would not have a tenth of the
problems that we do now! I feel this is just the beginning because in the end the
conservationist will lose due to this false dichotomy and we will just be one step
closer to the precipice of our eventual destruction!
edit on 5-2-2014 by nosacrificenofreedom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

You know, if Jerry Brown dropped the central rail project running from LA to the Bay Area and put that into desalinization plants? Well.. I'm thinking some of that good old American ingenuity would do wonders for solving most of the issues.

I've read this about cost, but I'm not sure I believe it for how this has to work. Perhaps it DOES work that way, but does it have to? I'd really say no. Think large, build large and scale will take care of output cost, would be my thinking, What size plants are they thinking? How about 2-3 to service the state, not just regionally.

It shouldn't and really can't serve the state as a sole source, but 2 BIG ones (one north and one south) sure should be able to do wonders for making near broken resource systems into ones perfectly capable of handling realistic demands again.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

randyvs
I don't believe this BS at all.
I'm presently 500 ft away from the California Aqueduct.
Flowing three ft. high at fifteen to twenty mph conservatively.

Because an aqueduct is not a reservoir or aquifer. All it proves is that people are not lessening their demand on water, despite the crisis. Which is typical of the southwest.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

Well we know what you're not making, and that is any sense.

Who's we? And how does the aqueduct three feet high and free flowing
not make any sense to you? The officials are crying drought. And I'nm
'making the claim that they're full of crap like they are about everything
else the comes out of their mealy mouths. Does it make any sense to you
yet? If not don't reply!

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It shouldn't and really can't serve the state as a sole source, but 2 BIG ones (one north and one south) sure should be able to do wonders for making near broken resource systems into ones perfectly capable of handling realistic demands again.

The wrabbit gets much respect on ATS and I'm in that crowd. Your knowledge
of inner workings is immense. Where as I just look for certain signs. Such as
the tell tale indicator of a lightbulb going off in someones head. In this case
it would be the:

Hey! we haven't had any rain in awhile! Time to look up water shortage
scams again!

If you catch my meaning?

So when I see a reason, I'll make a claim and see if anything strong comes back.
I'd have to say your post was more than strong.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

randyvs
Who's we?

Everyone else here but you.

And how does the aqueduct three feet high and free flowing
not make any sense to you?

Actualy it makes perfect sense to me, because I understand how the system works. I also understand that we have reserves, which are called reservoirs. What I also understand is that they are near drying up, But this is not a pissing contest, and that was not my intention. We are in a severe drought right now, and that is the reality of the situation my friend.

The officials are crying drought.

To be quite honest, I have heard very little about it. Yeah a few articles or freeway signs, but no serious warnings, or even suggestions that we all conserve what water that we have. It's like we have a bunch of imbeciles running things. Or maybe they want to make a fortune off of all the penalties for overuse, I don't know.

I myself have been conserving water as much as I can. Like not flushing the toilet every time I pee, or not watering my plants unless they absolutely need it, which out here in winter, as you know, is not much.

And I'm
'making the claim that they're full of crap like they are about everything
else the comes out of their mealy mouths.

I agree that most of the time they are full of crap, so calm down bro. This time however, they are not crying wolf. This time, we may end up all taking it in the behind sack & all when it comes down to water rates, as well as food prices.

Does it make any sense to you
yet? If not don't reply!

randy, I am not your enemy, you and I agree on a lot. Let's stay focused on the subject at hand here. The good news is we just had a storm earlier this week, and there is another one forecasted for this weekend. Hell, I am going snowboarding in two weeks up in Tahoe for the first time in California this year.

So hopefully we can somewhat recover from this nightmare later in the year much like we have in the past. No matter what, it will be more dry than usual when it's all said and done. ~$heopleNation

edit on 5-2-2014 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Walked into a restaurant today here in Nor-Cal. The sign said; "Due to drought severe drought conditions drinking water is only available upon request".

My uncle started that program during the last severe drought. So when I see someone cry "scam"? I just assume they don't know squat about reality.

There is no money to be made for anyone by screaming "drought".
Ranchers do not sell off nearly every cow because someone screamed drought. They do it because there is one...

Some people will deny reality in the face of proof to back up their myoptic views of the world.... Do the rest of us a favor though and turn your damn sprinkler off.
edit on 5-2-2014 by Mamatus because: Gwammer and speeeeling

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
They are saying in San Jose that they have 60-90 days left before they are in a very bad emergency in regards to Water. Going to be an interesting 60 days ahead f us.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join