It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who was Jack the Ripper?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

ProfessorChaos
Does anyone have any opinions regarding James Maybrick and the authenticity of the Jack the Ripper diary?

It's a hoax.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Taggart
I do wonder about the Walter Sickert angle, some of his art (to me) resembles the killings.
I haven't looked at the case as closely as others but I do seem to remember going off the Sickert angle but can't remember what turned me off.
edit on 28am99amThu, 06 Feb 2014 09:17:54 -060028 by Taggart because: (no reason given)

Probably the fact that he has been proven conclusively not to have been in the area when several of the murders occurred. He was clearly inspired by the murders but I don't for one minute believe that he committed them.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

jaffo

Taggart
I do wonder about the Walter Sickert angle, some of his art (to me) resembles the killings.
I haven't looked at the case as closely as others but I do seem to remember going off the Sickert angle but can't remember what turned me off.
edit on 28am99amThu, 06 Feb 2014 09:17:54 -060028 by Taggart because: (no reason given)

Probably the fact that he has been proven conclusively not to have been in the area when several of the murders occurred. He was clearly inspired by the murders but I don't for one minute believe that he committed them.

That sounds about right,it's been quite a few years since I looked at it.
I think he had some work being looked at or someone was digging in to him a lot, I have vague memories of it all.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I was just glancing through something last night that mentioned Alistair Crowley (original name Edward Alexander Crowley) as that suspected killer.
Add that to your list of suspects and see what you come up with.
Might be something, or might not.

Some info here, for starters:

vigilantcitizen.com...
edit on 6-2-2014 by On the Edge because: added link

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

On the Edge
I was just glancing through something last night that mentioned Alistair Crowley (original name Edward Alexander Crowley) as that suspected killer.
Add that to your list of suspects and see what you come up with.
Might be something, or might not.

Some info here, for starters:

vigilantcitizen.com...
edit on 6-2-2014 by On the Edge because: added link

Crowley would've been only 13 years old in 1888, and he lived in Warwickshire. Twisted as he was, I doubt that he was involved.
edit on 2/6/2014 by ProfessorChaos because: Typo

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

I agree. It's a stretch.
But, felt like adding it to the mix anyway.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

On the Edge

I agree. It's a stretch.
But, felt like adding it to the mix anyway.

Okay, then maybe he had a mentor...

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Or maybe he was a ..."prodigy"?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Where's Jacob Levy?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Morg234

Where's Jacob Levy?

Missed him completely. The list of suspects was copied from wiki for purposes of speed, but feel free to discuss him as well, and good eye!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I had been aware of One Jeff Mudgett, giving various interviews. He talks about his belief in regards to his great grandfather.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

misschareesee2
I had been aware of One Jeff Mudgett, giving various interviews. He talks about his belief in regards to his great grandfather.

The problem I have with Jeff Mudgett is a simple one: he's trying to sell books.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Jacob Levy sounds like a better candidate than Crowley, by a long shot!

Jacob Levy was born in Aldgate in 1856 to Joseph and Caroline Levy, his father, being a butcher at 111 Middlesex Street, Spitalfields, it was a trade his son would subsequently follow him into. In 1881 Jacob Levy was listed as living at 11 Fieldgate Street, Whitechapel, with his wife Sarah, and their two children. In 1886 he was committed to the Essex County asylum after complaining of hearing strange noises and saying that he felt compelled to do acts that his conscience could not stand, he also felt that if he was not restrained, he will do acts of violence to someone.

In 1888 Levy was listed as living at 36 Middlesex Street, with his wife and children. On 15 August 1890 he was taken to the City of London lunatic asylum Stone in Kent, and admitted as an insane person, his occupation was noted as butcher and the cause of his illness was listed as mania. He was described as in good health, his height was given as 5ft 3"tall and his weight as 9 stone 3 pounds. Levy died of paralysis brought on by the disease syphilis on 29 July 1891. Originally there were no effective treatments for syphilis, the commonest treatment in use being mercury, this use of mercury gave rise to the saying, a night in the arms of venus leads to a lifetime on mercury.

Jacob Levy is rarely mentioned as a serious Ripper suspect, yet fitted the eyewitness descriptions of the young short stout suspect. As a butcher he was skilled with a knife, and having contracted syphilis was undoubtedly familiar with the local prostitutes. He was familiar with the local area and may have been the city police suspect Detective Constable Robert Sagar referred to when he said, 'We had good reason to suspect a man who worked in Butcher's Row, Aldgate. We watched him carefully, there is no doubt that this man was insane, and after a time his friends thought it advisable to have him removed to a private asylum. After he was removed, there were no more Ripper atrocities'.

www.casebook.org...

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   

ProfessorChaos
Does anyone have any opinions regarding James Maybrick and the authenticity of the Jack the Ripper diary?

Maybrick can be ruled out almost completely. Unfortunately the various tests that have been done on the watch have not conclusively ruled him in or out as a suspect. If the watch could be proved genuine then J M would be lead suspect. There are some very good reasons as to why this case is unlikely to be solved. The Ripper Mystery is an industry and as such provides employment in part, or wholly for a large number of people.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

hotel1

ProfessorChaos

Maybrick can be ruled out almost completely. Unfortunately the various tests that have been done on the watch have not conclusively ruled him in or out as a suspect. If the watch could be proved genuine then J M would be lead suspect. There are some very good reasons as to why this case is unlikely to be solved. The Ripper Mystery is an industry and as such provides employment in part, or wholly for a large number of people.

The watch is certainly the only thing that leaves the subject open.
As far as its being an industry being the reason that it won't be solved, I can't say I'm convinced.
If the case were solved, and a culprit named, then wouldn't said industry simply revolve around that person, much like the Lizzie Borden industry here in Massachusetts?

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

ProfessorChaos

hotel1

ProfessorChaos

As far as its being an industry being the reason that it won't be solved, I can't say I'm convinced.
If the case were solved, and a culprit named, then wouldn't said industry simply revolve around that person, much like the Lizzie Borden industry here in Massachusetts?

How many people are employed directly and indirectly through the Lizzie Borden murders? She took an axe and gave forty whacks etc but do those particular murders employ directly or indirectly a significantly large number of people in a small, over populated country where gainful employment is always at a premium.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

hotel1

ProfessorChaos

hotel1

ProfessorChaos

How many people are employed directly and indirectly through the Lizzie Borden murders? She took an axe and gave forty whacks etc but do those particular murders employ directly or indirectly a significantly large number of people in a small, over populated country where gainful employment is always at a premium.

It is actually quite the cottage industry in Fall River.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

I think we're getting off-track here, I guess my point is that if a murderer was named, and the "industry" changed from whodunit? to Hedunit... what harm would there be to the industry itself?

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Daily Mail (I know, I know)

Apparently, DNA evidence has been found that supposedly singles out Aaron Kosminski as Jack the Ripper.

Being that he was in my 'Top 3' suspects (I was leaning toward Frederick Deeming as the culprit, but Kosminski seemed to be an easier choice due to his mental problems).

So, I'll take a partial bow on this if the evidence and story are legitimate.
edit on 9/7/2014 by ProfessorChaos because: fixed link

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos
Daily Mail (I know, I know)

Apparently, DNA evidence has been found that supposedly singles out Aaron Kosminski as Jack the Ripper.

Being that he was in my 'Top 3' suspects (I was leaning toward Frederick Deeming as the culprit, but Kosminski seemed to be an easier choice due to his mental problems).

So, I'll take a partial bow on this if the evidence and story are legitimate.

Did he have any masonic connections as the killer/s had a good knowlage of rituals and reading

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join