It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA customs to buy INDIAN helicopter?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   
The US Customs plans to buy ten indigenous Advanced Light Helicopters (ALH) "Dhruv" built by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd., HAL sources said in Bangalore today.

The multi-million dollar order for the civil variant of Dhruv would be finalised with the US Customs in a few months, jointly by Israel Aircraft Industries Ltd. (IAI) and HAL, sources in the Bangalore-based HAL said.

This is the first major order for HAL from the US following the joint marketing agreement with IAI earlier this year in which HAL will supply the helicopter and IAI will integrate the centralised avionics package in ALH for the international market.

"A US team will visit Bangalore later this year for further talks," sources said.

The civil variant of the multi-role Dhruv powered by French Turbomeca TM 333-2M2 engine was recently certified by the Director General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), and HAL plans to get the aircraft certified by the US Federal Aviation Authority (FAA).

Declining to comment on the cost of the deal, sources said, "we are close to finalising the price. We bet, we should be at least 30 per cent cheaper than any of our competitors in this class".

www.indiaexpress.com...

israel is also poised to buy indian helis.
www.expressindia.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Mayb its native american "indian"!!

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Dhruv, the definitive name for India's Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) has many indigenously deveolped features such as bearingless main rotor blades, and uses composites extensively. Different versions have been built for the Army, Navy, Air Force and the Coast Guard. There is a civilian version as well. the civil and naval versions have retractable undercarriage, while the others have skids.

Wow,it certainly looks good,wonder how well it does in battle.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I don't know how good they do in battle but I saw them doing aerobatics at the recent Air Force day celebrations at delhi on the 8th of October.They were 'pretty' manuverable for helicopters.Can't find a link to that airshow though...it was a Palam AFB delhi on the 8th of October 04

[edit on 22-11-2004 by Daedalus3]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 01:37 AM
link   
And here I was thinking that "Indians can't make crap"!

Oh deary me...Plus I was impressed by the use of a double negative to create an interesting positive statement that positively glowed with pride. I'm not sure that was the intent though! Pity about this written word, no inflection stuff...

BTW, nice looking helo.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by HowlrunnerIV
And here I was thinking that "Indians can't make crap"!

Oh deary me...Plus I was impressed by the use of a double negative to create an interesting positive statement that positively glowed with pride. I'm not sure that was the intent though! Pity about this written word, no inflection stuff...

BTW, nice looking helo.

The double negative was not mine..i just happened to poin it out!!

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
That has to be a blow to Sikorsky Aircraft, and Bell Helicopter. I think the Blackhawk (S-70 class) would have been a better fit, but the cost was much higher than India's craft...

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:51 AM
link   
"In March 2004 that HAL signed a $33 million contract with Israel Aircraft Industries (IAI) in February 2004, in which IAI will supply entire avionics packages for deliveries to both domestic and export markets. This ensures that all future production of the Dhruv will feature only Israeli avionics. The first Israeli-supplied avionics will fly on the Dhruv in January 2006. The avionics systems initially will be supplied for 100 helicopters, primarily for the Indian military market. About 300 helicopters eventually will be equipped with the IAI systems. The systems include electronic warfare packages, a day-and-night vision system, head-up display and communication systems."

Read Dhruv deatils, specs, features : www.bharat-rakshak.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I think the S-70 is much heavier than this helo, maybe an upgrade of the S-76 would have fitted the bill if Sikorsky wanted to do one or failing that the original Eurocopter upon whivh the Dhruv is based, anyhow, if they do win the sale its a great move for the Indian industry.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I read it as a cost saving choice only. The only defined reason I could read there was they were 30% cheaper.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Helicopters are made from everywhere. American Coast Guard helicopters use French engines, and the American Apache helicopters and I believe the Cobra helicopters as well use French avionics; the French Eurocopter is a very fine helicopter.

Sikorsky and Bell make helicopters, India as shown makes a helicopter, which I think it said uses Israeli avionics, etc.....helicopters are made by everyone and everyone seems to share parts.

I don't get Europe with them having to put the word "Euro" onto everything....the Eurofighter, the "Eurocopter..." what's next, the Eurotank, the Euromobile????

I can picture the French in a future war....."Quick, ze enemie is coming, to ze Euromobile!!!"

Just my opinion here on India's helicopter, but it looks like a Bell Huey helicopter that got punched in the nose (to me anyway).

[edit on 27-1-2005 by Broadsword20068]

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Broadsword20068.

I don't get Europe with them having to put the word "Euro" onto everything....the Eurofighter, the "Eurocopter..." what's next, the Eurotank, the Euromobile????

I can picture the French in a future war....."Quick, ze enemie is coming, to ze Euromobile!!!"

[edit on 27-1-2005 by Broadsword20068]

more like the 'euro-mechwarrior'..

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Broadsword20068I don't get Europe with them having to put the word "Euro" onto everything....the Eurofighter, the "Eurocopter..." what's next, the Eurotank, the Euromobile????

You know what? I absolutely agree with you, I hate all that 'euro' guff and for a time they were seriously considering just having 'Eurofighter' as the planes name! Thankfully common sense prevailed and it is now 'Typhoon' though I'm not sure how the Germans feel having it named after a plane that did them so much damage in the past.

I think that Eurofighter' and Eurocopter works better as a manufacturers title, reflecting that they are a product of several nations from this continent but I still don't like it, at least Airbus is better than 'Euroliner'

top topics

join