It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Outrageous Adolescence of the F-16

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The Outrageous Adolescence of the F-16

I thought this was a great story about how the F-16 came about.

I never knew that the F-16 was an unwanted craft. I've always heard good things about it.

The article goes into some detail about how the aircraft came about and how the development cycle was drastically different than that of the F-15.

A good read if you want to know more about the history of this aircraft.

This is the story of two brothers, who happen to be airplanes. The older brother, the F-15 Eagle, entered the world fully formed, and his doting parents—the U.S. Air Force—nurtured him and quickly forgave minor transgressions. The younger brother, the F-16, was born prematurely, with no name, and scrambled to catch up. At a rollout ceremony on December 13, 1973, in Fort Worth, Texas, the YF-16 faced its skeptics and a few champions with a gaudy red, white, and blue paint job. After the ceremony, the airplane was flown on a C-5 to Edwards Air Force Base in California to prepare for its first flight

Read more: www.airspacemag.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Always liked the F16 from a purely "looks cool" point of view. Anyway, if people thought the red, white and blue paint job was a tough sell how do they think the Pakistani's felt when they bought theirs?

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Great thread S/F.

Recently, I looked at a ( now ) ancient F-16 at a small - town municipal park. It seemed small and simple... nothing at all like this , for some reason :

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Bazart
It seemed small and simple...

Anything but. Some of it was easy to work on, other parts were like doing major surgery blindfolded with mittens on.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Thats not an F-16.

Thats a Chinese JF-17 "Thunder"

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Doah! Really? Well it looked like one, two wings, bad paint job, etc.

Guess that's why they kept me in the Army and out of the Air Force.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

cdn-www.airliners.net...

To:
p1.pichost.me...

I don't know about adolescence, but the old girl looks more like she's hit middle age to me.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
The f-16 was my favorite plane to refuel. they are quick, come in smooth, and put their lives in your hands. It was the exception to the rule. you had to fly the boom around the canopy and into the receptacle, oh by the way theres a 12 inch antennae right in front of the receptacle you cant hit. Ah, I miss flying locals out of grand forks with the fargo guard f-16's coming up to get current on a/r. Good ole days...

new topics

top topics

join