It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Mount Sinabung erupted again Saturday just a day after authorities allowed thousands of villagers who had been evacuated to return to its slopes, saying volcanice activity was decreasing. Rescuers found 14 bodies and rescued three people with burn wounds, said National Disaster Mitigation Agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho.
Among the dead were a local television journalist and four high-school students and their teacher who were visiting the mountain to see the eruptions up close, Nugroho said. At least three other people were injured and authorities fear the death toll will rise.
OP, it's just not big enough news and it's Indonesia. The world could care less that a volcano erupted and 16 people died. Yet if it's the world's playground and several thousand are killed, they will pour hundreds of millions of dollars into the area so that it recovers quickly so they can get back to playing. Yet Indonesia still suffers and the world simply does no care.edit on 2/3/2014 by pstrron because: minor correction
Among the dead were a local television journalist and four high-school students and their teacher who were visiting the mountain to see the eruptions up close
"For the safety of the rescuers we decided to temporarily halt the search operation at midday," local rescue agency chief Rochmali, who goes by one name, told AFP. There were no reports of new casualties from the latest eruption.
He added that rescuers had yet to see any signs of life during their search on Monday and did not believe anyone else was still missing.
However he said the team had found the wreckage of eight motorbikes believed to have been carrying 14 of those killed in Saturday's eruption.
The bikes were inside the five-kilometre (three-mile) danger zone, an area decreed by the authorities that was supposed to be off-limits, he added.
Rochmali said officials were considering a permanent halt to the search and would decide later Monday.