It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans came long after aliens, scientist suggests.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

DupontDeux

Phage
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Hopefully, one day we'll get a chance to meet some of them. See how they live, what they drive, what kinds of animals evolved on their planets, what kinds of ships and planes they fly, what kinds of foods they eat.

It works both ways. If there is a way to escape our island and we find it, we may find species just emerging into intelligence.

Then what?

Then they might be tasty!

Seriously though, we eat pretty much all species we come across, and I'm sure we would eat alien bacon too.

With that in mind, imagine a species similar to us showing up on Earth. Would it really be that outrageous to believe that they would decide to farm us?

Yes it would.

Why? Because we already have lab meat:

In less than 100 years we probably will no longer eat animals so it is doubtful that if you can grow lab meat, or synthesize tasty meats and other proteins from their very common and plentiful raw elements (Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen) ie: Star Trek replicator style then WHY would you want to eat a live alien (which could contain god knows what pathogens btw)??? Moral objections aside it seems to make little sense from an energy and resources standpoint.

Apologies for posting that video again but I posted it earlier in the thread.

To advanced aliens, animal farming is probably as primitive and disgusting to them as eating bugs is to modern western society.

Then there is the possibility they may be post-biological, which is becoming increasingly likely as we hurl towards the singularity and our own post-human future (which is inevitable).
edit on 3-2-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JadeStar

Excellent response, but aren't you pretty much debunking both methods of panspermia?

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I think ive seen too many horror movies to eat lab meat. We eat it and create a monster or zombies or blob you name it. Now seriously i dont think synthetic meat will catch on id say eventually are diet will change and we go yo eating protein bars etc.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

_BoneZ_
This is a very interesting hypothesis. Who knows how many advanced civilizations have been born, evolved, and became extinct before we were even born?

If an advanced civilization evolved and vanished in some distant galaxy such that we'll never, ever know they ever existed, did they really exist? Are they any more than imaginary?

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Bone75

Excellent response, but aren't you pretty much debunking both methods of panspermia?

Yep.

Panspermia in general is a fringe theory which has had cycles of popularity.

So far as we know there is a very small chance that it is possible and that is why there are papers published on how to test it.

BTW: Most of these papers dealing with Panspermia are talking about life moving between planets within the same star system.

Example: It's been hypothesized that life on Earth may have come from Mars due to panspermia during the early history of the solar system since Mars would have cooled down and become habitable before the Earth did.

If we find life on Mars and it closely resembles life on Earth DNA wise, then panspermia will get a huge boost. But for now its on the fringes of astrobiology due to lack of evidence in support of it being possible.

Microbes lasting a few million years and remaining viable is a stretch enough.

Microbes lasting a few billion years and remaining viable, at least for now seems like science fiction, pending an amazing discovery.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

dragonridr

I think ive seen too many horror movies to eat lab meat. We eat it and create a monster or zombies or blob you name it. Now seriously i dont think synthetic meat will catch on id say eventually are diet will change and we go yo eating protein bars etc.

You know what is funny? People said the same thing about eating "microwave irradiated food" at one time.

What seems weird and sci-fi one decade (say the 60s or 70s) becomes common in another (the 80s and 90s).

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
We are the aliens of the future. Unless we discover FTL or start broadcasting our Encyclopedia Galactica the universe will never know we were here. Much as the earlier alien races have come and departed from the scene. It seems like a waste of possibilities not to explore aggressively. It's impossible to imagine an alien visitation here without leaving something technical behind in orbit or on the moon. They would know that is the only true way to contact the future if their colonization failed.
We have two emissaries one walking to the stars (voyager) and the second is radio waves announcing our presence. The first could only be discovered by a accident and the second is fading as the the area of effective reception is passed. Unless we expand those might be the only proof that humanity existed.
We either explore and expand or go extinct without ever going big time. What a waste that would be.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr
[more

What if Earth is becoming popular again? We are drawing a lot of attention with our use of radiation and wars.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

The huge explosion of technology is largely in part because of oil. Since about 1950 we have been pumping millions of tons of oil out of the earth. Oil is by far the cheapest and richest energy resource there is. One gallon of gas is roughly equivalent to 120 man hours of work. The strides as a civilization that we have taken in the last century is because we have basically unlimited energy at our fingertips to do anything that we can set our mind too.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   

JadeStar

DarksideOz
Well it would go a long way to explaining the theory that we are genetically engineered slaves. Mainly for gold. And look at "us" all these years later. Working our butts off to earn money [paid slavery], in a system backed by gold. Not the smartest behaviour from an "evolving" species ?

Nonsense "theory".

If one can traverse the stars they don't need slaves. They can easily build whatever they want.

If one can traverse the stars they don't need people mining gold either.

Sounds like more "Ancient Astronauts" bunkdom.

Depends if you want to be closed minded or not.

How do YOU know that they didn't need slaves ? Creating slaves would allow for more time spent traversing the stars ? An open mind will consider this possibility. A closed mind has dismissed any possibility. If they can "easily build whatever they want"..........then what if they want slaves ?

How do YOU know that they don't need gold ? A resource that practically serves no purpose to us other than the stigma attached to it, may be useful to a species that can traverse the stars ?

If you took the time to research some of these issues you would see that many findings have completely defied what we thought was our history, but those findings don't get the media attention they deserve because..............it would re-write our known history. Can't have that now, can we ?

Sounds like YOU have already made up YOUR mind in regards to a topic, and anyone who doesn't see it your way is wrong.
That doesn't exactly comply with the ATS motto of denying ignorance !

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I can't remember where I heard it bit it really had me thinking how old the universe is, if we're even close to knowing its true age. that is life on this planet could have come from anywhere.and an interesting thought is With all the astronauts and the international space station when they flush the toilet their feaces is instantly frozen. Yep there's a giant layer of crap in orbit and beyond when you look to the stars....and millions of years from now that astronauts poop could land on a distant planet and be the spawn of life there with the bacteria and what not inside it. So there for we could also be the produce of an ancient alien astronauts waste disposal system. Some people might not like that thought but it's certainly a possibility.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Most current mainstream scientific approaches to Extra Terrestrials go from the "Past Civilization" approach. Take SETI as an example. SETI searches for radio signals. Radio signals travel at the speed of light, meaning that if we get a signal from an alien civilization, it's age would be equivalent to the distance from Earth. So, we would actually be looking back in time! So let's say we get a signal from a star 400 light years away. We would actually be looking 400 years in that civilization's past! 400 years is a long, long time. It could mean the difference between a space age, or a nuclear winter. In fact, we could get a radio signal from an extinct species! In this way, SETI's goal is not to communicate, it's to "eavesdrop". In the same way that our TV signals are going into space, may be listened to right now. I mean, for all we know, 40 light years away they could be watching the first season of Star Trek! Of course, SETI goes on assumption that aliens use radio. This may not be the case. IN fact, they may have far more advanced methods of communication then we do. Of course, SETI will respond to this question by saying that aliens would have to develop radio before these advanced methods, but this makes the huge assumption that aliens have the exact same course of technological development as we do, which is a crazy thing to assume. For example, a species with 6 armpits would probably invent stick deodorant before the wheel.

www.youtube.com... Very interesting talk, but I think this guy has a dark outlook. This talk is about extra terrestrial life, from great film maker Neil Blomkamp (director of 2009 masterpiece, District 9).
edit on FebPMTueXE2-06000980-0600 by MADXENOBIOLOGIST because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

A space faring species would have a lot to gain by reaching the singularity, since ending your biological origins pretty much solves the whole "Aging" problem that comes with long distant space travel. In fact, it could be that an alien species would actively become at least partially mechanical entirely so it could survive long distant space travel. This would also save a lot on expenses, because for obvious reasons they wouldn't need food or life support, another major difficulty with sub-FTL space travel and the immense resources required. They also wouldn't need simulated gravity, or really anything else.

Another possibility is that the first species we would encounter would be insectoid in nature. This is because insects would probably discover the secret to FTL drives before any other type of civilization, since the "hive mind" aspect would hugely speed up their technological development. It would be like communism without all the horrible corruption. An entire species, without any conflict or dividing factors or war would probably be able to technologically develop at a far more rapid rate. Of course, that is pure speculation, but it's an interesting idea.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Robertsy

Yep there's a giant layer of crap in orbit and beyond when you look to the stars

Actually, nope, there isn't. A lot of satellites and various parts, but no, not poop.
And it's not really hard to find out the reality of waste management on the ISS

Solid waste is collected in individual micro-perforated bags which are stored in an aluminum container.[5] Full containers are transferred to Progress for disposal.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Progress modules are sent Earthward to vaporize in atmosphere. Yes folks, you get showed by atoms of astronaut poop.
edit on 2/4/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by datasdream

Well, if they live within about 100 light years they probably will, because every radio and tv signal in history is currently radiating out into space. Of course, this is assuming they will know how to receive and decode them...

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Robertsy

This is known as the Panspermia theory. Of course, most scientist think meteorites and not crap, but same basic idea.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Scientists in support of panspermia rarely say that the meteorites come with the life on board still alive. The general consensus is that instead, the meteor could have brought the ELEMENTS that make life (Phosphorus Hydrogen Oxygen Nitrogen Carbon and Sulfur), and these elements reached earth and in the primordial fires they formed the right combinations for life, OR a comet/icy meteor seeded earth with water (the secret ingredient to the biological soup). Of course, it would have vaporized in the inferno that was the ancient Earth, but it would have introduced the 2 hydrogen 1 oxygen combination that water is based on.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MADXENOBIOLOGIST

Of course, it would have vaporized in the inferno that was the ancient Earth, but it would have introduced the 2 hydrogen 1 oxygen combination that water is based on.
Water is everywhere.

Actually more complex organic compounds including amino acids have been found in meteorites. The most basic building blocks of life can indeed come from space but that doesn't mean they have to.

Over 15 amino acids (some of the basic components of life) have been identified in the meteorite.[4] All the amino acids found in the Murchison meteorite have been synthesized in laboratory experiments by the action of electric discharge on a mixture of methane, nitrogen, and water with traces of ammonia.[4]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

JadeStar

In less than 100 years we probably will no longer eat animals so it is doubtful that if you can grow lab meat, or synthesize tasty meats and other proteins from their very common and plentiful raw elements (Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen) ie: Star Trek replicator style then WHY would you want to eat a live alien (which could contain god knows what pathogens btw)??? Moral objections aside it seems to make little sense from an energy and resources standpoint.

I can actually remember the first few times I ate meat as a child. My memory was: yuck; it is certainly an acquired taste at least for me. Now I eat meat with the best of them and the bloodier the better.

Having to acquire the taste for meat i feel, is because it is more unnatural than we realize, at least in my opinion. Although I recognize that much of our development (like brain size) is attributed to eating meat and we have certainly developed the enzymes necessary it still doesn't feel natural. Same goes for beer, it was also an acquired taste and also not good for the body....so there's that too.

My point of this post (fully aware of being off-topic) is lab grown meat would be yet another experience of having to get used to consuming something that can't possibly be good for you. I truly hope I'm dead before they start serving up USDA lab grown beef.

ETA: I was in no way condoning the eating of aliens in my above post!

edit on 4-2-2014 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
One thing that i will always remember and really made me think about the whole universe and such was this simpsons couch scene, if we could actually zoom out of the universe and just have a glimpse

youtu.be...

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join