It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starting a new life, what would you bring?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Chances are, at some point you have had this kind of a test in some form. The version that I'm giving everyone is the one I was given in high school (although I first took this test in 5th grade).

Imagine that at some point in the future, humans have discovered another planet that was capable of supporting life, and have already established several colonies on this planet. You, wanting to start your new life there, have signed on with a transport that can get your there in 5 months time. The only problem, is that space is at a minimum, so to reduce baggage, you are asked to only bring 5 personal items with you. This is assuming that all the basics (clothes, food, hygiene products, etc) are already taken care of. What items would you bring, and why?

Now, excluding the horrible plot line, and forgetting the fact that I was graded on my answers, these are the 5 items that I would bring with me:

1. My trumpet or violin. Reason? When I get there, I'm assuming that I'd have to work for a living - you can make money as a musician, and I'll bet no-one on this planet has already thought to do it. Plus, I could sell the instrument off if I had to for starting cash.

2. An art supply kit - This would mostly be for me to kill the 5 months on the journey, but also could be used to attempt to make some cash on the new planet.

3. A box containing photos of friends and family - If you're going to another planet, you're probably going to stay there, and not be able to see them again.

4. A backpack Bob (Before someone cries foul, I consider a backpack bob as one item, because everything is inside the backpack, which means it only occupies the space that the backpack does). My reason here is that I'd want to have something just in case I have to rough it on the planet.

5. A crystal skull - Unlike all of my other items on the list, this one is purely aesthetics. I was given it as a very personal gift, and it's one that holds a lot of memories, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

So, what would you guys & girls bring?

-fossilera

PS: The other version of the test doesn't let you bring physical objects, but rather it lets you bring 5 smells, 5 tastes, 5 sights, 5 sounds, and 5 touches. Due to the character limit, I'm not talking about this one, but the one outlined above. Feel free to talk about what "senses" you'd like to bring along.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by fossilera

My kind of place.

A gun and ammo, an axe, a dog and a horse.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Coffee,coffee,coffee,coffee,toilet paper

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

1) The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibran. Most valued book I own!

2) Acoustic guitar. In order to do the 'Dance of Life' the soul needs music.

3) Sewing supplies.Just needle and thread, if my treadle machine couldn't come. Sewing was/is my first love.

4) My quartz crystal sphere with rainbow/twin phantoms in it, because it's my favorite talisman.

5) My Bug-Out-Bag, because it's already packed.

( I hope I didn't forget anything!)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Hoosierdaddy71
Coffee,coffee,coffee,coffee,toilet paper

That's already supplied, but I DO like my coffee, so it wouldn't hurt for you to bring extra!

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Feel free to talk about what "senses" you'd like to bring along.

Not a good idea; after all, we do have *ahem* some clowns around here on ATS.

I'm pretty sure there would be some serious T&C violations!

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   
my towel.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

taoistguy
my towel.

Never EVER EVER go anywhere without my Towel.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
My daughter

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Daver2056

Photos
Tea
A globe of Earth.
Eyeglasses.
Magnifying glass
Notebook and pen

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Only 5 sucks.
I also need hair accessories. Makeup. Deck of cards. Blankie and teddy bear. Tylenol.
And... Towell, tweezers, nail files. Curling iron, a pebble or rock from Earth,

This is why I can't go camping. I need too many things. Although I wouldn't take photos camping.
edit on 2-2-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

I would smuggle things in, just like I do all the time. Not been caught yet!
edit on 2-2-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
The treasure chest my husband made me filled with all my favorite books and a few unread ones and my grandmas and mom's jewelry. I figure it's a treasure chest, it's whole purpose is to be filled with treasure so it would only count as one right?.

my stuffed doggy I have had since I was a wee one

A deck of cards, cause you always have to have a deck of cards

All my photos

all my music in an mp3 player.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   
A small liquor still( for my own pleasure and for profit), An e-reader, with as many books as I could download, a really good pair of boots, my IPod with all of my music and family pictures, and last but not least...a good durable towel.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I only need one item..............

My pillow !

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Jennifer Connely.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
In all seriousness, I wanted to bring the explosive gummy bears mentioned in the jokes forum, but then I realized that letting those things loose in a compact environment for 5 months probably wouldn't be the best thing in the world.

For the most part, not bad on the items list everyone! Although Jennifer Connely is kind of stretching it - I won't count it against you nerbot

brandiwine14
The treasure chest my husband made me filled with all my favorite books and a few unread ones and my grandmas and mom's jewelry. I figure it's a treasure chest, it's whole purpose is to be filled with treasure so it would only count as one right?.

Yes, a container filled still counts as one - In my book, a container will still fill up the same space, empty or full.

nugget1
Not a good idea; after all, we do have *ahem* some clowns around here on ATS.

I'm pretty sure there would be some serious T&C violations!

I'm starting to thing you're right - some of these responses are too good to pass up. I can only imagine what kind of sights & sounds that some of the people here would want to bring.

-fossilera
edit on 2/2/2014 by fossilera because: omfg...how could I put "hear" instead of "here" in my post?

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Deodorant and the rest of what consists of a hygiene kit.

Books, magazines, anything I can read to learn something, no tabloids.

Are women going to be there? I guess I didn't read the full questions, ooops!

Sun screen , bug spray?

Full tool kit, metric and non metric snap on. You never know. Wood, metal, ceramic.

My Bible.

Guitars electric and non.

Whats to eat there? I guess I will bring powdered ascorbic acid, and other supplements.

Mountain bikes.

Let me go back and read the question. I think I forgot something!

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
1) A laptop with a huge capacity hard drive. (this takes care of photos, adult entertainment, way to write, things to read, movies to watch, music to listen to, games to play, etc.

2) A solar charger (for the laptop).

3) A really expensive water purification straw

4) A really good combat knife

5) I'm guessing my wife won't count...so, some kind of personal memento of her.

new topics

top topics

join