It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking of getting into the Occult/Magic

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Well said!

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by golden23

Ultimately, Golden23, your going to have to decide for yourself which path is your destiny.

You need to decide where to start. I would suggest that you sit down and contemplate what do you find interesting in myth and belief sets. Do the Norse Gods inspire the inner warrior in you, or does Celtic mythos draw you in? Are you interested in gnostic Christianities mystery tradition, or does Buddha intrigue you? Or perhaps the Greek God's stories are the one's calling you to their stories. Find your starting point. Then work safely, slowly, and at a pace that is enjoyable and educational for you. Your first few years is always buried in books, libraries, study, etc....

When I was a child/teen, I was drawn to the Celtic. As I grew older, and my studies expanded, it began to include the bridge of celtic - to gnostic and kabbalah- to Christian study too. So I'm a strange blend of different systems that works for me. I'm positive, firmly believe I stand for right that's light, and I've done away with the pigeonholing myself into a box. Comparative study of all religion and beliefs has served me better, than focusing on one. BUT, I started with one, at the entrance, the beginning of my journey.

Now, I'd like to remind you that "magic" happens in all belief sets and even unconsciously in people spontaneously all the time okay? I mean, you understand the power of a Christian Prayer Circle or Chain Mail is exactly the same as a healing spell cast in an elaborate ritual by a solitary practitioner or coven of paganism. Both may seem very different on the surface because of their difference in ritual, but the same mechanism and cause and effect is triggered... regardless. So don't fall for the division tactics... they are imaginary. Start where your spirit is calling you, and don't be afraid of the dark, what is already part of you and all of us. We all have to learn and master and grow and OVERCOME these dark parts of ourselves. It's part of the journey.

Good luck in trying this path with an Atheist mindset. I've always found that's a closed loop that blocks consciousness from expanding. I married an atheist... who well... when he married me, he saw things... so he isn't atheist anymore.

So I bid you good luck, good will, and hope you strive towards yourself.

Blessings,
CirqueDeTruth

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Essentially, we are fractal gods, and that is a dangerous knowledge to possess. To discover exactly how much you share with the universe by virtue of your very awareness is a path which is just as punishing as it is rewarding, and the institutions of which you speak fear the consequences of that path.

I keep a quotations journal. This was just added to it.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

after reading all of these 102 posts ive had time to think about my decision, no not enough time, id say not nearly, but i got some. The Greek Gods have always been an interest to me in the back of my mind but ive never actually had a chance to express that interest. And another thing that has been brought to my attention is i probly dont wanna go in there as an athiest(christianity is my current religion).

and i was stupid not to realize this before but that website on my OP, most of it is bull# as i look at it now, well the part about being athiest.

Idk i got to carried away and didnt reason: "spellcasting probably would require a higher power to carry out the spells since humans are incapable of doing so, so they 'pray' to the deities they have their beliefs set on."

and just for those of you that think im only doin this for the spells (not only aiming this at you CriqueDeTruth) im aware that it is much more then that.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Idk i got to carried away and didnt reason: "spellcasting probably would require a higher power to carry out the spells since humans are incapable of doing so, so they 'pray' to the deities they have their beliefs set on."

Uh, no. No, it does not require a higher power. Some branches prefer it, but that's a matter of technique and personal style. This is why you do your research somewhere other than here.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

i do not consider this 'doing research'. ive been researching outside of this website, outside of the internet

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

That's just as fake. I don't scare easy because I seen the true monsters of this world up close and personal. I don't believe in the tooth fairy, santa clause, the easter bunny, or lizzie borden. Aleister Crowley was an idiot in my opinion. It makes good references in rock music. You'll be voting for the real monsters soon enough.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

It sounds to me like you've already decided to pursue the study of magic(k). This thread is heavy on words, and you have so much more reading in your future than you realize, so I'll keep it as terse as I can manage.

You have some pre-conceptions that you need to get over as you continue. Do not let that dissuade you. The practice of magic(k) is many things. Chief among them is the process of systematically finding and eliminating pre-conceived notions. It sounds like you have already overcome a few in the days since you started this thread, and that's an excellent start. You have received a lot of solid advice in this thread. Re read it and follow every link you have been given.

Read everything you can get your hands on, especially the things you disagree with and think are bull#. Make it a point to read every book you have again some years later. As your perception grows, so does your ability to understand. There is always something you missed the first time. Start with the Tao te Ching. I recommend the translation by Stephen Mitchell; The reading is easy and the thinking is hard. You'll probably re visit it many times.

Be careful of who you trust, and treat all people and spirits as individuals. A practitioner of magic(k) is not necessarily a good person just because they understand magic(k), a spirit is not evil just because it doesn't have a body. A dogmatic, fundamentalist Christian is not a bad person just because they erroneously believe you worship satan.

Following this path essentially means taking responsibility and deciding for yourself in all matters. Do not take the rejection of religion to mean the rejection of theism. Understand it as the rejection of dogma. It means letting no individual stand between you and the divine. No one can tell you what or whether god is or is not, or what is right or wrong, whether you should use magic(k) in a given situation or not, or how. You must review all the information available to you and make a decision based on your own judgement, and accept every single one of the consequences, even the ones you didn't forsee. It will be hard work, and harder as you grow. People will definitely think you're weird, for precisely the same reason children think kissing is gross; They have yet to make the transition that allows them to understand the appeal.

For the next few years, focus on meditating and studying. Read, ask questions, contemplate any answers you may get, and read some more. When you think you're ready to begin playing around with magic(k), wait and study some more. Much like puberty changed your body without any permission or direction from you, your magic(k)al awakening will shape your mind and spirit until magic(k) is very much a part of your daily life.

Good luck, god speed, and don't let the bastards drag you down.

So much for terse...

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I'm not going to be that guy who starts screaming devil etc because I am a fan of knowledge but... In case it hasn't been said (or said enough) I think you should find another place to learn whatever it is you're after, rather than some random dude who likes to hang himself from trees. It's a good idea (IMO) to look into many different sources on every end of the spectrum. I'm not saying "majority rules" here because there's a lot of fluff in so-called magick, but use your head. Study before practicing, and understand what you're getting yourself into.

I've done a bit of studying and some practice in this area myself in the past and it's all interesting for sure... But it is my personal belief that your practice should compliment your faith, or lack of it, not completely change it. Something that sparked my interest in this sort of thing was the now-defunct Psi-Pog although it was of course more geared towards psychic abilities. People can call it fake and I can't argue that, but it seemed to have a lot of good religion-neutral information and places to start which led me down my own path of learning from other sources.

Whatever you do, be careful and don't take everything at face value. There are people out there who will talk at great lengths about the occult but have nothing useful to say or are simply parroting what they were told, and it is these people who will get you into trouble.

Another edit to add: I meant to say do what works for you. A spirit guide and/or your subconscious may help with learning and direction but in my limited experience I always felt better about workings that relied on my own will, and protection only when necessary (but should be the first thing you learn!), rather than set rituals and deities but I suppose everyone is different. IMHO a ritual is useless being read straight from a book, if you're going to use one then it has to mean something to YOU: create your own if you have to. I would say good luck, but don't leave it up to luck. If you're going to do it strive to do it right.
edit on 6-2-2014 by duke396 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by duke396

thanks for the advice ill keep that in mind

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join