It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking of getting into the Occult/Magic

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
magick is about making yourself a better person and finding your Self, not doing 'spells'.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by golden23

Whatever you hope to achieve via "magic" can always be achieved by your own merits, with fewer consequences.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

KeliOnyx

Whatever you hope to achieve via "magic" can always be achieved by your own merits, with fewer consequences.

Are there really any consequences or is it more like 'the law of attraction' where you could almost prove that law works and is in effect but not really and not really see any negative consequences either?

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by taoistguy

Yeah but to the new agers with all their pretend secret knowledge its about casting spells on new moons. Or dancing in circles naked.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by taoistguy

Yeah but to the new agers with all their pretend secret knowledge its about casting spells on new moons. Or dancing in circles naked.

Naked Circle dancing. hmm...now that could have consequences!

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

and you can say, "i did this, all on my own!"

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by amazing

Oh hey sounds like fun but theres nothing about it thats mystical. Having a ritual with new moons and the likes is just paganism. Thats not hidden or esoteric its just whats been passed down through peoples heritage.

This is a big misconception. What people would consider hidden tend to be darker or shrouded in mystery by religion. Things that can only be discovered or apprenticed not something you can do in ten minutes of practice or after a little meditation.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

they don't do that in the uk -- too cold.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

so are you saying that there really is black magic/Occult that is on the up and up? Though, like you said, apprenticed and not shown to the public?

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by amazing

Im speaking in hypotheticals. Theres probably some sort of things that we dont know about happening. theres clearly things going on and in history that we dont understand but can see the obvious connections of. There is naturally balance so where there is good there is evil right? We just cant see the goods ones.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by amazing

Could I give you scientific proof? Doubtful. But everything you do has a consequence to it. Whether it be harmful or beneficial, intended or unintended. You reap what you sow.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

This is called cause and affect in science.

Equal and opposite reaction to every action.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   

KeliOnyx
reply to post by amazing

Could I give you scientific proof? Doubtful. But everything you do has a consequence to it. Whether it be harmful or beneficial, intended or unintended. You reap what you sow.

Got ya. I believe that. I just didn't know if you had any intriguing evidence or anything interesting to research more.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by amazing

Other than my own personal experiences, not really. Which some were downright screwed up. Others which make no sense but simply happened. Not exactly the easiest things for me to deal with or even fully accept. Having an Engineering degree and knowing how the real world works does that to you. If my teenager were asking about such things, I'd tell them the same thing I spoke here "you are just better off keeping a positive outlook, and doing it all for yourself".

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   

to know people is wisdom, but to know yourself is enlightenment. to master people takes force, but to master yourself takes strength. to know contentment is wealth, and to live with strength resolve. to never leave whatever you are is to abide, and to die without getting lost- that is to live on and on.

Lao Tzu (c.604 - 531 B.C.)

This is a pretty good quote.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by kissy princess

Does electromagnetism have a name and a personality then? It is possible to observe forces in nature without automatically assuming they possess a persona similar to our own.
edit on 2-2-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

Yes, I know electromagnetism by his pet-name, 'Frankie.' As for your second question, I'm sure it is "theoretically" possible to observe simple forces in nature (e.g. seasonal melting of snow) and not ascribe to them personalities such as our own, but I find that kind of behavior to be coarse, reckless, and irresponsible. I personally know the seasonal melting of snow to be a great baker - her chocolate chip cookies are to die for, and she's a real hit at the parties after a drink or two.

I really don't understand your question. It appears that you may have an immature notion of what Divinity is - and it seems you may think that any belief in an intelligent power greater than that of a human being is baseless and without merit. While many pagan religions had ascribed various forces of nature to any number of Deities, such notions are dismissed from classical Theism as being very much beside the point when debating the argument for a Prima Causa. This has nothing to do with Flying Dawkins monsters or 70 virgins, unfortunately.

When a human being can wrap his brain around the fact that he is also a dependent and contingent being, then the world around him opens up to become a little more inviting, and the latest findings in science provide a wealth of introspection and mystery that fulfills some yearning for the knowledge of a design that has been long forgotten. A true theist is not antagonistic to science. The mystic and the magician are the historical pioneers of introspection into the mechanics of the unknown.

It is also interesting to ponder why it is that when I engage in a particular Ritual, that it creates a desired effect that merits no obvious causal connection between the ritual-act and the desired outcome, but nonetheless a causal relationship is evident (e.g., I perform a spell for some kisses, then I get kisses a day afterward - hershey's, of course). This is to suggest that there are indeed forces unseen behind the mechanics of the universe, and that such forces often respond to any number of given commands. It very well may be that I'm just tapping into parts of my own brain that most people normally never use, however to myself and countless others, the results suggest otherwise, and often point to to the reality of an over-arching, and highly intelligent Cosmic-source as the basis for all creation. Of course, there are occultists who disagree with me, and I'm fine with that. Free to be you and Me. I just appreciate it when someone knows the philosophical terrain before they begin waving their hand at me like I'm driving on the wrong side of the street, when it is obvious they have only a casual, or superficial knowledge of the subject matter.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Thecakeisalie

If you want to join the occult, then by all means do it. But are you prepared for all the years of study, theory, and philosophy? I Imagine many white witches/wiccans will attest to that.

Magic doesn't work like it does in video games, you don't level up and suddenly become adept at new abilities. And if you are thinking of joining the occult just to learn spells then you're joining for the wrong reason.

However the choice is yours; but I recommend you heed the words of the other posters.

Not 100% true for all beings. You are for instance not including the people who go thru the amygdala fear overload experience and experience a lifetime of pain in one single instant. But that road should not be sought from my point of view since it can be insanely pain full. That is at least one level up that can come suddenly without pre knowledge and give instant ability to learn in an enhanced rate. But that depends on the seeker of knowledge/wisdom. Sometimes evolution/change is abrupt from one form to another. At other times change is slow and not even noticed from one moment to the next. But always change is there between moments. Being static/unchanged is an illusion.
edit on 3-2-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I'm sure it is "theoretically" possible to observe simple forces in nature (e.g. seasonal melting of snow) and not ascribe to them personalities such as our own, but I find that kind of behavior to be coarse, reckless, and irresponsible.

Of course it's irresponsible to neglect the anthropomorphization of the universal forces. How silly of me to suggest otherwise.

It appears that you may have an immature notion of what Divinity is - and it seems you may think that any belief in an intelligent power greater than that of a human being is baseless and without merit.,

it would help if there were actually an official definition or basis for divinity. I have no deference for whimsical abstractions without a practical counterpart to provide critical context and bearing.

edit on 3-2-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Here you go:
www.sevenoaksphilosophy.org...
www.philosophyofreligion.info...

Logic can be our only proof, however in Philosophy, there is little certainty - especially when it comes to this type of subject matter. A belief in God is neither childish, or whimsical when the philosophical basis for the supporting arguments has been established and explored. The same can be said about Atheism. Again, my intent posting on this thread was to illustrate that the study of the occult (at least 90%) is supported by a student's direct experience of Divinity. This is in contrast to several Religions, which only suggest Faith as a foundation. The discipline of Magic can then be easily explained for why it has been historically 'forbidden' by various religious and state institutions - for it is that Religion and the State are designed to keep a populace under control. When a student engages with the fundamental Cosmic power underlying all of creation, he becomes very dangerous to the aims and mechanisms of such institutions, for it will be at some point in his quest that he finds he needs not religion, nor the state to dictate his ethics, behavior, or freedom.

All the best to you, AfterInfinity

xox

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Someone practicing the occult arts becomes dangerous to such institutions in that they discover how innately intertwined with the cosmic flow they actually are. Which is to say, they a measure of the overall solution, and thus possess a miniaturized scope of that power and capability. Essentially, we are fractal gods, and that is a dangerous knowledge to possess. To discover exactly how much you share with the universe by virtue of your very awareness is a path which is just as punishing as it is rewarding, and the institutions of which you speak fear the consequences of that path.
edit on 3-2-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join