It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking of getting into the Occult/Magic

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by colormeinsane

i actually dont get told im too young for certain thinkgs at all

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   
If you are interested in learning more about the occult and magick, I suggest starting with this book:

Kybalion

This is a great introduction into Hermeticism which is the basis of modern magickal theory. If you find that this system doesn't fit with your own personal beliefs I would suggest looking elsewhere for enlightenment.

Best of luck to you in your journey. Aham Brahmasmi and namaste.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by golden23

It is a misconception that Magicians are atheists.
It makes little sense to attempt to obtain some semblance of the powers akin to those attributed unto Divinity, while simultaneously negating the existence of Divinity.

Pagans generally devote themselves to any number of Gods and Goddesses,
Even the writings of the Great Wild Beast, Aleister Crowley, are full of references and reverences to God (and other various Deities).
Michael Aquino and the Temple of Set affirm the existence of a higher power.
Chaos magicians are generally not atheists; rather agnostics.
Rosicrucians affirm the existence of 'the God within,' which is in contrast to much historical Christian theology and practice.

The tradition that comes closest to Atheism would be LaVeyan Satanism - however, asking Satan and various demons to do one's bidding seems a very far cry from atheism proper.

Before you jump head-first into a world whose glamour appeals to you - be forewarned: the path of the Magician is not an easy one. You will be tested by forces unseen, and most of the time, you won't even know it is happening until something has struck very deep. The Men are seperated from the boys, and a world of sh*t awaits those who would dabble with realms and beings of which they know little, to nothing. There are plenty of books of the 101 type, if candle magic and gentle NLP are your thing, so to steer clear and avoid the common pitfalls of High Magic.

There is a lot of fun and mystery to it all as well - so don't be too freaked out - and there are plenty of organizations composed of people from all walks of life who may be glad to assist you in the Great Work. With no particular emphasis on any of the following, I list some here to whet yr whistle:

hermeticgoldendawn.org
xeper.org
thelemicgoldendawn.net
rosicrucian.org
bota.org
oto-usa.org
thelema.org

All the Best to you.

93 93/93

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   

It requires no religious beliefs to distract one from the spell casting or meditation. so basically im gonna have to become an atheist if i want to become a true Sorcerer/Mage/whateveryouwanttocallit.

I haven't read all of the pages of responses yet, but, I wanted to comment on this.

Magic and the occult have definite ties to religion. Especially to God, or gods. Any number of magical philosophies, from Hermeticism and Kaballah, to Druidism and Wicca, have their foundation in the adoration of God, the Horned God, the Great Goddess, the Egyptian Neters, or any other pantheon you wish to align yourself with. In fact, faith and belief in a godhead of some kind is almost essential in most magical workings. Whether you believe that God/gods are elements of consciousness, mirrors and reflections of yourself, or actual entities, they still start as "higher powers", above and beyond your current understanding, until you've immersed yourself in their symbolism.

One of my other concerns is the negative energies that it will attract.i know that there is protection spells meant out keep out these types of energies. your supposed to perform these brief, preliminary spells so you are protected correctly. but i still do have doubts way in the back of my mind.

Not only are there preliminary spells, like the Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram, but there are other spells too, and meditative practices, which can be used to "cleanse" yourself and your space. Practices like the Ritual of the Rose Cross, or a Re-Iving are meant to "tidy up" your mind, body, and temple/space. Your intent, and your level of dedication, will dictate the results you receive.

The contemplation of this situation is the most difficult part. If anyone were to find out about this, i would be looked upon as abnormal and maybe weird .if i were to do this then i would have to carefully think the next couple months of my life. Id have to work hard (yes harder then the math test i worked on earlier this week) and id have to be dedicated and not just quit after ive achieved a big goal. i would make another, and soon it would be a "way of life" as the magical community calls it.

As I said earlier, magic is a faith. As a faith, it does take dedication, commitment to yourself and to your goal. Like becoming a Christian, or a Buddhist, becoming a magician requires more than just adopting a title. You have to have faith in yourself as a conduit for the energies of life. Without that belief in yourself as a door through which the creative principle of existence might act, you're just as devoted as a Buddhist who buys mansions to please his ego.

As one of my favorite authors once wrote:

Magic comes from the heart, from your feelings, your deepest expressions of desire. That's why black magic is so easy—it comes from lust, from fear and anger, from things that are easy to feed and make grow. The sort I do is harder. It comes from something deeper than that, a truer and purer source—harder to tap, harder to keep, but ultimately more elegant, more powerful. My magic. That was at the heart of me. It was a manifestation of what I believed, what I lived. It came from my desire to see to it that someone stood between the darkness and the people it would devour. It came from my love of a good steak, from the way I would sometimes cry at a good movie or a moving symphony. From my life. From the hope that I could make things better for someone else, if not always for me.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   

golden23
reply to post by AfterInfinity

guys im aware that i have to research. i have barely even started to research. i have come here first to gather opinions on what im doing is right or wrong or potentially dangerous. and i dont necessarily have to study negative magic. what i am planning on doing is purely beneficial, it is in no way having negative effects on me or anyone around me. in fact it will provide beneficial effects

Magic is a tool like any other created by others and the intent and belief in the tool creates the manifestation. Intent and belief is more important than the words of the tools created by others that might have a nasty side effect in their programming of your beliefs.

A person who do not believe in the tool and do not focus intent speaking/using the tool, will not get the tool to work. A person who creates need and intent to a very high degree will bring the manifestation of it.

Have a healthy center and make sure the tools are what you want them to be, before using them so that you manifest what you want.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   

onequestion

Dont do it.

It will come to you if its suppose too otherwise stay away.

The urge to seek other people experience about this is in itself a manifestation of a need within. But sometimes it can be a good thing to not do and push the need to a higher level before you act. Preconceived notions of what it will be can also be very self blinding to the person. Ego projection of what will occur is a hard thing to loose.
edit on 2-2-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by kissy princess

Does electromagnetism have a name and a personality then? It is possible to observe forces in nature without automatically assuming they possess a persona similar to our own.
edit on 2-2-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   

If you want to join the occult, then by all means do it. But are you prepared for all the years of study, theory, and philosophy? I Imagine many white witches/wiccans will attest to that.

Magic doesn't work like it does in video games, you don't level up and suddenly become adept at new abilities. And if you are thinking of joining the occult just to learn spells then you're joining for the wrong reason.

However the choice is yours; but I recommend you heed the words of the other posters.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I've been a practicing witch since 2001 . The only protection spells I need are the one designed to keep the influence of man at bay. I protect our home, our cars, us of course but not from evil entities. These don't concern me becauseI as a living entity of this planet I hold all the cards. This is my space. Kind of like having the home team advantage. Evil can only influence where it is allowed to.
A belief in the evil is almost an invitation so I refuse to give them any energy in that direction. Don't even acknowledge evil. The power for magik resides within us as part of the physics of the universe. We control it all so if you go about your endeavors with a positive mind if you do your spells with positive energy and don't even give thought to the possibility of evil then there won't be any evil. It's all based on what you choose to believe. It requires your belief to work so if you don't give any energy to a belief in evil you'll be fine. So far I have never had any problems with evil. Don't give it your attention. Do see your results in advance and see it completed the way you want it.
I think those who try to do protection spells against evil are really just opening the door.
Does anyone do a protection spell to pray? Magic is just a personally directed prayer to the universe. Law of attraction stuff. Ask believe receive. If you give belief to evil well....

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

Yes indeed. I have a book case four feet wide with five shelves dedicated to magic, quantum physics, the law of attraction and religion. I also have over 100 books loaded into my kindle dedicated to these subjects. Hey I a witch AMA.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Actually it all works by law of attraction. The incense, candles, what ever trappings you use are really only mind keys to focus your intention. Like a vision board is. They don't contain any power themselves perse they just help focus the mind which is where magic resides. Everything is a thought before it becomes reality from what you wear to what you cook for dinner. Thoughts are where the power of magic comes from. Nothing is produced without it first being a thought.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

UB2120

You obviously have a curious mind and that can be a good thing, but it can also get you into trouble. To me the fact that you are evening thinking of attempting something like this means you have not found something satisfying from a religious stand point. I say that because if you had a solid belief in a God and the universe you would not want to venture into that territory.

I do believe that there are entities on this planet that could be contacted. Whether they would respond is another story, but there are beings who if you really desired their wicked presence can contact your mind or draw near your soul. I think if you had a greater understanding of your potential life in the universe you would put your efforts toward that. Something that could help you for the long run and not a short term desire.

There is a book that can help you discover your path. This book is not part of a religion, yet people use this book to enhance their own religion. I say their own religion because we all really have our own belief system. Even those who profess to be a specific religion has their own interpretation that makes it their own.

Most people who find this book interesting are those who have not found "their" religion yet. Perhaps you are one of those people? The name of the book is The Urantia Book (www.urantia.org...). It's a huge book, almost 2100 pages, about God, the universe and your place in it.

If it is something that strikes a cord with you, it will remove all desire to do magic as you will have a better understanding how the universe works.

I hope you check it out. Either way good luck on your journey.
edit on 1-2-2014 by UB2120 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-2-2014 by UB2120 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-2-2014 by UB2120 because: spelling

Silly this is the territory of God and the universe. It's just another avenue to the same destination.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Nothing Good comes from dabbling on the Dark side... Nothing!

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Why do you think you need to be an atheist in order to do this? Even some of the most secular of paths (like High Magic or Ceremonial Magic) encourages personal beliefs. Many paths virtually require a belief in deities or, at the very least, they are complimented by a strong faith.

I can't imagine a strict atheist believing in magic nor can I imagine a person who feels the imminence of the divine enough to practice magic discounting the existence of the other side. I'm not saying that atheism and magic are totally incompatible but I can tell you with a straight face that I know many religious witches, shamans, etc who believe in gods (even some Christians) but I don't know even one true atheist practitioner.

edit on 2-2-2014 by Cuervo because: spellin' schmellin'

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Why do you think you need to be an atheist in order to do this? Even some of the most secular of paths (like High Magic or Ceremonial Magic) encourages personal beliefs. Many paths virtually require a belief in deities or, at the very least, they are complimented by a strong faith.

That "strong faith" might otherwise be described as "suspension of preconception". In other words, it functions as an attempt to prevent you from sabotaging yourself by denying your efforts at the same time you make them. If I step forward while not believing I can support my own weight, I will fall flat on my face because that's what I expect.

Whether or not an actual higher power is involved is irrelevant. It is a psychological device.

I can't imagine a strict atheist believing in magic nor can I imagine a person who feels the imminence of the divine enough to practice magic discounting the existence of the other side. I'm not saying that atheism and magic are totally incompatible but I can tell you with a straight face that I know many religious witches, shamans, etc who believe in gods (even some Christians) but I don't know even one true atheist practitioner.

Believing in yourself is more than enough to substitute belief in a higher power.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
My only tip is: Think twice before using the ouija board. Unless you have a secured environment.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by luckey1962

i dont plan on using one. those can be dangerous

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Magic is a special kind of psychology which triggers effects in you and others. There is no need to banish the belief of God and become an atheist the power comes from some "source". money and love spells do not work as you think. For money try conducting sigils. When it comes to love. A spell would not work from a distance in fact from a distance you might do more worse than good depending on how that person already views you as an individual. You would have to have the spell hidden in something they read or something you say which would cause the main idea of your words to seed itself in the targets mind to only blossom later in time. Love spells do not work also due to the laws of "free will". You cannot force someone to do anything. Even hypnotizing them is a suggestion which needs to be agreed upon. Not in any way shape our form am I saying these things to discourage, insult or disinform you. Only trying to inform you from what I already know.

Hope you get the results you truly want.

Regards,

Daniel

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

It doesn't really sound like you have a plan at all. You may want to draw an outline of what exactly your little venture is supposed to consist of, so you know beforehand where you plan to draw the line and where you plan to take risks. Doesn't really sound to me like you have a clear idea of any of that.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
it'll take you your whole life just to develop one siddhi if you consciously pursue the siddhi.when someone does years of sadhana for the sake of liberation then big things can happen.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join