It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No time travellers means humanity is doomed?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
This timeline changes all the "time." You can feel it happening if you just pay attention. The old timelines leave "quantum echoes" of what they to be, and they linger in your brain for a while, because your brain is a quantum machine. They're like memories that didn't happen.

I assume it's time travelers making incursions into the past, but it might also be a natural occurrence. Time is full of holes, and it wouldn't surprise me if random things from the present or future shifted things back into the past that ended up rippling through to the present. People sometimes describe "time shifts" where they find themselves lost in the past for a short while. That could have an effect.

No, humanity is doomed for a lot of other reasons, but the apparent lack of time travelers isn't an indication of that.

edit on 3-2-2014 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Yeah the thing is that how do you know the speed of our galaxy if we dont have a fixed point to measure against? Our planet moves, our solar system moves and our galaxy moves.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

The experiences I've personally described as time shifts tend to feel like a line of memory doesn't fit and fades, and from a fairly clear point. I've seen threads on here describe minor celebrities (minor being in the age/eye of the beholder) getting news for having passed away, and folks be sure they'd heard it happen much earlier in time.

I think time traveling has been happening and it may ..or may not, be related to the UFO phenomenon. Regardless, humanity in this era didn't get really interesting beyond a passing and predictable level of the evolutionary/technological tree until mid WW-II, I'd say. Time Travellers would likely have keyed on the same events aliens would/may have. Nuclear weapons and other parallel tech with world changing ability/consequence of use.

I think it has always been accurate to say that if time travel can ever be possible, in any timeline, under any conditions to develop....then it already has been developed, which makes time travel not a future thing, but past thing, even if it's happening in the present.

...and this is how we can think ourselves into little pretzels without even taking a 1 second trip to experience it.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

PsykoOps
reply to post by eriktheawful

Yeah the thing is that how do you know the speed of our galaxy if we dont have a fixed point to measure against? Our planet moves, our solar system moves and our galaxy moves.

You are absolutely right. We measure velocity against something else.

For example. I'm in my car going down the freeway at 60 Mph. That's 60 Mph measured against the ground I'm traveling over, or things that we call "stationary".

However, the world spins at about 1,000 Mph.....soooooo......doesn't that mean when I'm headed East, I'm actually going 1,060 Mph?
Technically: yes. However, everything else, the tree, the 60 Mph speed limit sign, the guardrail, are all moving at 1,000 Mph already, as was my car and myself when I got in my car.

Like a bus going down the road at 40 Mph. You get up while it's still moving and walk forward towards the front. Let's say you're walking 3 Mph. That would mean your velocity is actually 43 Mph. But relative to everything on the bus, you're only going 3 Mph (until your bus hits a brick wall.....every part of the bus, and all the other people will feel the energy of their mass suddenly going from 40 Mph to 0 Mph, but your body will have that extra 3 Mph added to it....moot point I know, but still the idea holds).

and yah, our Earth is speeding around the sun at 67,000 Mph....and we are also going 220 km/second relative to the center of the Milkyway.

And our galaxy itself is moving.....it's velocity is normally measured against other galaxies that it is either approaching or receding from.

When you think about it (at least for me) figuring out how to travel back and forth in time would be easy.....as compared to trying to figure out where the Earth is and the exact spot you need to be in space at that time would be.

I think trying to figure out the exact distance coordinates would be much hairier! heheh.

but as Phage posted: leave all that Timey Whimey, Wibbolly wobbolly stuff for Time Lords, hehehehehe.
edit on 3-2-2014 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Heck, I've always been suspicious of Deja Vu myself.

I can't claim to have experience anything like others have posted. And I know that Deja Vu is suppose to be explained as something else (I forget exactly what....something about having seen something briefly, and then seeing it again? Something like that).

But what about when I come around a street corner to a street I know I have never, ever been down.....and yet it feels like I've been there. Better yet: I know what stores are there?

That always freaks me out a bit, heh.

edit on 3-2-2014 by eriktheawful because: Because Erik didn't know how to spell Deja Vu

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MerkabaMeditation

You are presuming that we are interesting enough to bother to visit,
or that anyone cares about our one instance among presumably
infinite others. (just talking standard expansion theory here...
not even multiple universes or many universes or anything 'spiritual').

Kevin

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

Maybe all the smart people who could presumably contribute something
are spending all their time on internet chat forums.

;-)

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Never mind the time travel, the human race is indeed doomed. Furthermore, you are mortal and will therefore die very soon. Enjoy it while you can.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   

MerkabaMeditation
Modern science seems to confirm that time travelling is possible - today this is only theoretical, but I am guessing our scientists would figure out a practical application given enough time.

Does it mean humanity is doomed as there supposedly have been no time travelers from the future yet? I mean, if we would figure out time travelling in the future then we should have them here now, right? Is the lack of time travelers proof that humanity will be extinct at an unknown future time?

-MM

edit on 1-2-2014 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

"Modern science" has discovered that travelling forward is MUCH easier than travelling backwards. In fact, travelling backwards is almost impossible, and would require an in-depth knowledge in quantum physics to even explain a vague idea of how to do it. That same quantum physics explains that multiple universes may exist, and travelling backwards in time most likely will not put you back in the same timeline.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I love all things time travel, but sadly I don't understand the mechanics of it. However, as with all technology and laws of physics, I am certain time travel comes with its own rules either by its very nature or by prime directives. Intuitively, I believe once you leave a point in time and space, you can't get back. You have left that dimension for good and are only returning or going to an offshoot parallel universe. Time travel would have far too many consequences if one traveled to the same dimension as one left. The world as they knew it may not exist anymore. That would be a scary conundrum. What if you walked upon earth post primordial and accidently stepped on the first amino acid chain that begat humans? You would return to a very scary new world.

If it exists, we may never know it in this dimension. The number of parallel worlds and universes is staggeringly infinite if scientists are correct. Somewhere in the vast reaches beyond human knowledge time and space, time travel most likely exists.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Everything that is a choice has an alternative, and all our choices lead to causality, i.e. to take path a or path b - a "time traveller" that is working "on his own time" can effectivley alter his decisions to bring about a change in circumstances, however, this manifests as a change to the present moment and thus is integrated back into causality. Said events that have been "averted" are "could of happened" and thus only known to the "time traveller" himself, and any other anecdotes or stories he or she might have divulged.

This is the basis behind many "legends" and "folktales" and the mysterious reason behind scant or inconclusive evidence.

The "key" here is that it is only the thoughts and memories of the "time traveller" himself that he has revisited and altered, and constitutes the predictions and premonitions that he has been working with.

Other attempts at time travel aim to create a "global memory construct" to record the thoughts and decisions of denizens, and it is based on prediction procedures, however, such attempts are futile, as true alterations in time are actually impossible to deem as the present itself is altered, and the past is erased from memory, albeit except for the "traveller" himself. This represents a "hurdle" for many advanced civilisations, and attempts to prove such things without "interviewing" the "traveller" himself are futile and frustrating.

At the moment, entities whom are simply "older" have vast access to time, and attempts to channel this involve interceeding in the choices of others, and this, as fact will manifest as an intrusion to free will itself as other parties essentially start to displace individuals in time itself.

Fortunatley, before this actually happens, the obvious fact is the "experiencer" himself, and as all individuals pertain to unique differences, that are factors of "being" and not factors of "memory" the systems inevitably break down.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   

The problem with time travelling is that you can only travel into your body. Unfortunately we are linked to our bodies, customized to our spirit. Universe does not allow for you duplicate your soul create another soul and body as needed for science fiction travel, instead you can travel back into you. You can travel back to previous you's as well but not all your time was spent on Earth.

The problem is that most of the travelers usually forget they have traveled. The idea that they have travel slips the mind as a dream fades from your memory the second you get up. You are aware that something is different. Before you know it you're back in your childhood home and your mom is calling for supper, within in seconds you forgot you traveled and proceed to eat as you did .

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Time travel could make a big mess of things, and it would also depend on how easily time travel is for them. A civilization with an easy access to time travel to anyone, would be pretty screwed.

A sign that there are no time travelers, is a good thing, since it shows that the boring natural flow of things are in order. If that were the case, then time travel would be kind of policed in a weird way.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
This isn't even true, there most definitely are time travelers, but its not quite what we think. Its just that we have the wrong science. Infinity is the real platform, and there is no time. We're in a kind of plasma screen. Yet each moment is an infinite snapshot, a picture that hangs around forever as if its an infinite roll of film. Higher ups pic the frame they want to enter. That is time travel.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I don't think that humans can or will ever time travel due to their primitive dna. But I'm positive there are other realms where time travel is not only possible but a type of entertainment.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

You can not change the human nature. Unfortunately, that is part that is at least current not developed enough. The development of a society does happen step-by-step and even the horrible periods have to be go through. Stopping one war or some person might actually prove more harm than good to the society in long term. However harsh WW II or some other dangerous event was, eventually the outcome lead to more peace and innovation. If that had not happened, some other war might have.

You can just compare it to life, where when thinking back, even the tough periods were necessary for you to become the current self. The journey is not easy, but whether we like it or not, every step, even the hard ones, can not be avoided.

On another perspective, we could also discuss an alternative universe theory. Even if time travellers did exist, who knows, maybe their deeds happen in another alternate timeline. Although that is real science fiction.

The fact that possibly there have been no time travellers simply lie in the dangers of such acts. Even if the technology was invented, the dangers would be immense and possibly this would possibly be hidden forever as no one knows where this might lead to. It is just too dangerous technology to have.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Cabin

The fact that possibly there have been no time travellers simply lie in the dangers of such acts. Even if the technology was invented, the dangers would be immense and possibly this would possibly be hidden forever as no one knows where this might lead to. It is just too dangerous technology to have.

Why does time travel need to rely on "technology" ? Have you considered majic or other metaphysical alternatives?

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I read a lot of explanations that I would have proposed here but one is still missing.
Maybe we haven't got any proof of time-travellers for one simple reason, in the future the history and evidence we have now, our time, is just uninteresting and boring.
edit on 19-2-2014 by Dumbass because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Dumbass

To travel in time you would also need to travel in space to fly to the location Earth was or is at when you finish the time travel. Earth don't sit still.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

KellyPrettyBear
Maybe all the smart people who could presumably contribute something
are spending all their time on internet chat forums.

It's probably for the best. There are very few great discoveries or inventions that don't end up having some unforeseen extremely negative consequences.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join