It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No time travellers means humanity is doomed?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
We were celebrating my mom's 73rd birthday when this happened. So, I believe, if you're going to try to get back to the same time, you would schedule to do it, when you have a date that is rememberable. My family is very well known at this club. Everyone knew us, and we had belonged to this club for 50 years. John Titor's comments he wrote in the internet, said there were openings of time when he could travel, and then times he couldn't. My friend that was with me, had a situation, that if he had someone around him, at a certain time (within minutes), he might not have suffered from double pneumonia, leading to lethal apoxy to the brain. I wonder why my only witness isn't here anymore. I don't have him to back my story up.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by luckey1962

now that sounds even more bogus, it seems to me if you're capable of pinpointing exactly what time and space you want to be in without getting caught in a rock, not to mention getting caught outside the atmosphere...you wouldn't have to worry about having to leap to a special reserved time.

excuse me, i misinterpreted what you said. as for special moments in time when you can leap, I have nothing on that as to why. Like, no clue as to why he would need a special time to leap from, that is unless he was planning on coming back...I suppose...the whole thing just contradicts my state of mind though.

altering time/space to this point is beyond reasonably proven.
edit on 01/24/14 by Jarring because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

I was using the term loosely. Apparently when someone experiences a parallel time jump there are differences. As an example, over a decade ago I watched the funeral of Billy Graham on TV. It was quite a televised spectacle. Here he's still alive.

Call me crazy if you wish but it happened. There are a lot of ATS members who agree, just go through some of the older time travel threads. All subjective anyway so it's impossible to prove.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MerkabaMeditation

The problem with this thinking is in the assertion that Time Travel would be linear as opposed to fractal and divergent.

Look at it this way; nothing observed can be destroyed/changed.

Everything in our history is already observed, and cannot be changed within our history.
From a fractal multiverse perspective, however, any observed event can certainly be re-observed, and even interacted with freely to the point of prevention, but, only such where even the presence of an extra observer is a copy/paste divergence into an alternate temporal universe until the extra observer(s) are no longer present and the divergent alternate is reabsorbed, evaporates, or continues on its own unpiloted course under the observation of the alt-inhabitants.

Thus, nothing we know of our past can be altered, except through the creation of a sandbox alternate indistinguishable from the original, except fully interactible.

In such a way, anyone could travel back in time and shoot their past self (alternate) in the head before ever pressing the time travel button, all to no effect other than the moral and ethical.

In other perspectives, instead of these alternates being created the instant an extra observer pops his/her time machine into that reality, these alternates could already exist, and somewhere, out there, in the multiverse is the smarter, wealthier, better looking, more popular, luckier, more successful, better version of you.
As well, there's other versions representing any number of branches where you went right instead of left, said yes instead of no, slept-in that extra 5 minutes, etc.

edit on 2/1/2014 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

this is what i'm talking about...maybe if we existed outside time/space to begin with, we could mold reality at will as we pleased, but being a part of reality, we can only make do with what we have, or assume we can jump to alternate realities and sandbox them if you will, like you said.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
My thoughts using the grandfather paradox

You want to kill your grandfather

So you time travel to the year of his birth and head to the hospital he was born in

On the way you are hit by a car

And die

Your grandfather is born

The past cant be altered

Because you time traveling has already happen

And you failed as proven by your existence in the future

And if you try

You will fail in some way because the universe won't allow it

Does that make sense?
edit on pm220142807America/ChicagoSat, 01 Feb 2014 19:15:40 -0600_2000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

maybe later, i've had some serious "time" experiences in my head, but it's mostly just mental..
although lol, idk if you would call this a time jump, but i swear i saw it happen..could have just been a mental brain mishap gone wrong idk.

i was just having some long deep thoughts while i was making a 3 hour trip back home, i get somewhere around the point in thinking society or something of the sort is an organism...and i see a car that was passing over a bridge over-head directly in front of me, perpendicular to the road i was on, instantly jump about it's car length behind itself and keep moving ahead at same speed. kind of like a glitch in the matrix.

i think i would have noticed if it had something to do with my eyes, cuz i sometimes do that too.

it freaked me out, but i didn't really think too much of it. there's nothing i could make of it, so why bother?
i just figured my mind was playing tricks on me, but nothing like it has ever happened before or again.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
That's weird, I haven't seen anything like that before. I could see if maybe the sun was in your eye, and maybe some kind of reflection in your retina? Wouldn't you think if you had to plug a number or a date into a time machine, and try to land somewhere, you would go back to a time that you weren't in the middle of something that was irritating. Like the middle of the road, when a car is coming. Or something like that. Where you didn't have to react so quickly to save your life? That's what I'm saying.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by luckey1962

well, when traveling through time, you also have to account for the space it travels in, too.

you already have to be equipped with this sort of knowledge, so no real specific memory of a special time and place should be of great use..considering you have to know it's actual space in time, which is more important to begin with, and needed before hand. like if you have the use of one, you shouldn't need the other.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Maybe UFO's are time travelers.
Or maybe time doesn't exist at all, so there can't be time travelers.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
We've been saved uncountable times.

edit on 2/1/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
like, where i am now, is idk how many miles away seconds later? how fast does the earth move? ~.~; not to mention the solarsystem.. all this space related to other space..
it's hard to know where exactly we are in space at any given moment. sure, we are on earth, whirling around the sun...that's hard enough to calculate exactly where we are in time and space...trying to relate the sun to others is even harder, to the point of theoretical inadequacy.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

friggin love doctor who to no end.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

MerkabaMeditation
Modern science seems to confirm that time travelling is possible - today this is only theoretical, but I am guessing our scientists would figure out a practical application given enough time.

Does it mean humanity is doomed as there supposedly have been no time travelers from the future yet? I mean, if we would figure out time travelling in the future then we should have them here now, right? Is the lack of time travelers proof that humanity will be extinct at an unknown future time?

-MM

edit on 1-2-2014 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

In order for scientists to say time travel is possible, they would have to deny three very basic physical laws; conservation of mass, energy and information. Even though s&p dictates that anything is possible, time travel has a non-zero probability, meaning the probability is 1 over infinity.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I haven't had a TV experience like that. You wonder about that movie with Michael Keaton, that he's in the tv screen at the end of the movie. I suppose that starts going into the paranormal category.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   

ItCameFromOuterSpace

Maybe UFO's are time travelers.
Or maybe time doesn't exist at all, so there can't be time travelers.

I agree with the UFOs. The other postulation is deep, man - very deep. Kind of a "There is No Mountain" way of looking at a problem, I like

edit on 2-2-2014 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Phage
We've been saved uncountable times.

edit on 2/1/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Where can I buy one of those time machines? Ebay or Craigslist perhaps? I want one of those

-MM
edit on 2-2-2014 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
People would start using time travel to become the gods of their own timelines/ universes.
If the many worlds interpretations of quantum mechanics is true then if you went back in time and altered anything in anyway it would create a new timeline that branches off from the original timeline.

as they say every moment branches multiple new timelines regardless, and they say everything that ever could happen, has happened in alternative timelines.

edit on 2-2-2014 by Belcastro because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Even if time travel was possible you do realize that if you move back or forth even one second you will find yourself floating in empty space? Or inside a star.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

PsykoOps
Even if time travel was possible you do realize that if you move back or forth even one second you will find yourself floating in empty space? Or inside a star.

Wanted to do the math on that. If you traveled forward or backwards in time by 1 second....but did not move in space:

The Earth will have rotated 465 meters.
It will have moved 29.77 km around the sun.
The solar system will have moved 220 km away from you.

So depending on where you were standing on the Earth (let us say the equator), you could find yourself either floating in space with Earth almost 250 km from you.......or you'll be embedded inside the Earth about 250 km down in one second.

Let's say I travel back to when I was born, 48 years ago, and again, I travel in time...but not space:

I would find myself about 333,020,160,000 km away from the Earth (that is about 2257 astronomical units). I'd be just over 0.25 lightyears away from the Earth, heh.
edit on 3-2-2014 by eriktheawful because: Because I forgot how to do math!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join