It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan and South Korea: Building Nuclear Weapons?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Not sure if this is possible. Some are arguing because the US might run away from Asia that both nations might consider this. The scary thing is that they both have the technology to build a nuke very quickly. I am not so sure as they would need to build the missiles and tech to make this happen. Nonetheless, it is pretty scary. Consider how the US is all over Iran for building nukes. I guess its OK if America's buddies do it!

nationalinterest.org...

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

travis911
The scary thing is that they both have the technology to build a nuke very quickly

I think the 'Scariest thing' in your link was the following

North Korea’s nuclear-weapon developments and belligerent rhetoric, along with China’s military modernization and growing assertiveness, are creating direct challenges for Japan and South Korea

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Looks like this is all speculation because there is no proof of them building nukes like Iran. But I do agree with the article America should tell the rest of the world deal with your own problems well have too many problems at home we are not dealing with something these people were elected to do.
edit on 1-2-2014 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
All advanced industrial nations could probably produce nuclear weapons. I have no doubt that both Japan and South Korea could turn their hand at developing nukes. You don't even need to be friends of America - if you have a civil nuclear programme, a decent and advanced industrial base and the motivation, it would not be overly complicated to produce nuclear weapons.

In fact, South Korea did consider a nuclear programme in the 1970s.

Regards

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
im pretty sure that if japan asked the UK or the USA nicely we would drop a nuke for them if the situation really called for it

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

buster2010
Looks like this is all speculation because there is no proof of them building nukes like Iran. But I do agree with the article America should tell the rest of the world deal with your own problems well have too many problems at home we are not dealing with something these people were elected to do.

LOL

Sure Iran 'isn't building nukes' ! !

A country in the middle east that has one of the most abundant energy sources in the world 'SOLAR".

Needs 'nuclear' power to power the lights.

WOW.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
And

IF any country deserves the 'right' to build nukes it is Japan.

But Fukishima anyone?

That is all Asia needs now are more 'Fukishimas', and the Middle East.
edit on 1-2-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I believe japan could build a nuke within 90 days.

The already have the reactors to make the fuel.

And they have the reprocessing plant to refine old spent fuel into the pit.
www.jnfl.co.jp...
They use MOX fuel in there reactors so they have a source for plutonium

They may even have a few pit in storage

I believe they already have the plans in a computer ready to sent to build the housing and the electronics.

There is no real big secret to building a nuke that japan could not have found out about from a trading partner like Israel.

There are no treaties that would stop them from having everything in place but not built.
edit on 1-2-2014 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

neo96

buster2010

LOL

A country in the middle east that has one of the most abundant energy sources in the world 'SOLAR".

WOW.

Where is proof they are building nukes? Every intelligence agency on the planet including the Mossad says they are not building nukes. You sound like that nutcase Benny who has been crying for decades they are building nukes but still no nukes. At least Iran had the balls to sign the NPT which gives them the right to developed Nuclear energy something that Israel didn't have the balls to do. Why don't you start crying about all the illegal nukes Israel has? After all they have threatened to use them like back in 73 when they were getting their ass handed to them. Israel told Nixon if you don't give us what we want we start dropping nukes. So Nixon like a good little tool said he you go boss you get what you want. I would be willing to bet you would support Americans to go and die for Israel so their people could stay at home safe.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

neo96
And

But Fukishima anyone?

So you are totally clueless when it comes to both nuclear power plants and nuclear weapons. And Japan signed the NPT so no they don't have the right to build nuclear weapons.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Actually,during the Ford admin,his "advisors",Cheney and Rumsfield,advised him to give Iran nuclear powerplants,so they wouldn't burn "our" oil! They both wanted it bad!

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I think the only real 'Ass kicking' happened to the invaders...

Also, the debate about supplying Israel additional arms during the Arab invasions were hotly debated. It wasn't as you put it.

Based on intelligence estimates at the commencement of hostilities, American leaders expected the tide of the war to quickly shift in Israel's favor, and that Arab armies would be completely defeated within 72 to 96 hours. On October 6, Secretary of State Kissinger convened the National Security Council's official crisis management group, the Washington Special Actions Group, which debated whether the U.S. should supply additional arms to Israel. High-ranking representatives of the Defense and State Departments opposed such a move. Kissinger was the sole dissenter; he said that if the U.S. refused aid, Israel would have little incentive to conform to American views in postwar diplomacy. Kissinger argued the sending of U.S. aid might cause Israel to moderate its territorial claims, but this thesis raised a protracted debate whether U.S. aid was likely to make it more accommodating or more intransigent toward the Arab world.

Linky

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Where is proof they are building nukes?

Stuxnet is proof. Forgot about that ?

You sound like that nutcase Benny who has been crying for decades they are building nukes but still no nukes

Yeah well for decades I have been hearing all the cool kids say how alternative energy is the greatest thing since microwavable mac-n-cheese.

The people who say Iran aren't build nukes sound like the 'crazy' ones to me.

But I forgot Iran can't ever do anything wrong. They are the 'poor little victims' of the west.

At least Iran had the balls to sign the NPT which gives them the right to developed Nuclear energy something that Israel didn't have the balls to do

Why doesn't Iran have the 'balls' to come out, and say it?

They, and their defender's aren't fooling anyone.

Why don't you start crying about all the illegal nukes Israel has? After all they have threatened to use them like back in 73 when they were getting their ass handed to them. Israel told Nixon if you don't give us what we want we start dropping nukes. So Nixon like a good little tool said he you go boss you get what you want. I would be willing to bet you would support Americans to go and die for Israel so their people could stay at home safe.

Wasn't paying attention to Iran actively aiding those who were killing Americans in Iraq, and Afghanistan?

Miss that completely?

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

buster2010

neo96
And

But Fukishima anyone?

So you are totally clueless when it comes to both nuclear power plants and nuclear weapons. And Japan signed the NPT so no they don't have the right to build nuclear weapons.

So what ?

Iran has been doing whatever the hell they want.

North Korea has been doing whatever the hell they want.

Other people can't ?

Since when has 'law' ever even mattered.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   

blkcwbyhat

Actually,during the Ford admin,his "advisors",Cheney and Rumsfield,advised him to give Iran nuclear powerplants,so they wouldn't burn "our" oil! They both wanted it bad!

Read up on the NPT. Nations that already have nuclear power are obligated to help other nations that have signed it to develop nuclear energy.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   

neo96

buster2010

neo96
And

But Fukishima anyone?

So what ?

Iran has been doing whatever the hell they want.

North Korea has been doing whatever the hell they want.

Other people can't ?

Since when has 'law' ever even mattered.

Iran has had more inspections than any other nation on the planet and they have been doing whatever they want. You seem to keep getting Israel and Iran mixed up.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I think Japan and South Korea building nukes to some degree is a no brainer at this stage and a question of when, not if. The US has gone from a NO nukes in North Korea to a

'well...we really mean it..don't do it!'...to

'it's happened, so now what?!' ... to

'lets all just learn to live with it and move on'.

Well, did the Soviets just learn to live with it after 1945? Did the Chinese just 'learn to live with it' after we both had our growing stocks? Of course not. Adversaries with nukes require nukes to deter, as anything short of it can be erased by it. It's the sledge hammer in 'Rock-Paper-Scissors' and why non-proliferation needs to be a global absolute value, while we honestly DO need to work on reducing stocks in -ALL- known weaponized nations. (declared and otherwise ...and I don't just mean Israel).

If Non-proliferation isn't an absolute though, S.K. and Japan are very small for their influence and populations in a purely geographic way. Nukes don't care beyond scientific blast distances and..basically, ROK couldn't take a nuclear wave and survive as anything like the Republic of Korea we know today. Same with Japan. Absolute deterrence is their only way to 'live with it'.

Ooops on the spectacularly failed policy of non-proliferation with the DPRK across at least 4 Presidents now.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I agree and anytime the nuke debate comes up something that very few seem to consider is: How many wars and invasions have been averted due to some country having nuclear weapons and delivery systems. India and a couple of their neighbors come to mind real quick... Best weapon to have is one that makes your enemies stop for fear of retaliation. Never having to use a weapon does have its' merits....

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I agree completely. Gaddafi freely and voluntarily gave up something that turned out to be a surprisingly advanced nuclear and chemical weapons program (at least) in 2003. He was trying to make peace and normalize relations. I think he may really have meant it after 20 some years of being out in the cold for many international things. He just called up the International Community one day and said 'Here...come get this crap and gimmie my status back when you're done!'.

Now, before the wars which likely scared him into doing it were over and quiet, he was violated and murdered in the street. I'll bet the odds of that happening would have been near 0 if he'd retained all he had then and continued to build on it. Just like Syria. There is a line nations will go to remove Assad, but no further. Not until he's totally toothless to respond in a way which world powers consider personally meaningful.

I think a number of world powers have made this bed, by making it clear even the technical words of international law are no longer sufficient to prevent war or 'regime change'. Basically only a step up from where the world was without the UN ...which was formed to prevent this very instability, of course
edit on 2-2-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   

neo96

buster2010

LOL

WOW.

And that isn't even the problem. Nobody is concerned with the nuclear power plant that much, but Iran's insistence on large-scale uranium enrichment capability, including such underground.

But Russia is supplying them with the actual nuclear fuel used in the power reactor. That's right, they won't even be using the enriched uranium for their reactor.

So why should Iran spend a huge amount of money and risk their international relations and economy to get uranium enrichment?

There is no other logical conclusion than nuclear weapons.
edit on 3-2-2014 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

top topics

join