It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the standard issue Australian Reserve Army rifle sufficient?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:
D

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I don't think there's PDW version of the Steyr Aug, but I know there's definitely a Para version that's significantly smaller than the standard Steyr Aug.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Yes the Steyr AUG Para (Carbine) is used by Australian Tank Crews. Well it did some years ago, I dunno if they still do but I hazard a guess that its still in use. Doesn't seem like an appropriate choice to me with too many edges to snag. Which I believe was one of the design goals of the FN P90.

Edit: I almost forgot, the Steyr TMP is their PDW. Slipped my mind until now. So it is very unlikely that there is an AUG PDW.

[edit on 6-1-2005 by cargo]

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
But the one in the picture IS a BB Gun... lol

I doubt they would use a Air Soft BB Gun in a REAL War, maybe a BB War with BB Tanks...

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
all you ppl who keep calling it SAS are getting it wrong, unless of course your refering to the british version, the australian (better) is called SASR, because its only a regiment. Besides SASR and 4RAR use M4's, not F88's, cause the F88 sucks when used for a prolonged time without cleaning it. It specially annoying when you have 2 SASR troopers shooting at u with F89's and you have 10 double feeds in a row and end up dropping over half a mag onto the ground cause of it. This is 2 mags into an excercise. All the commandoes i've spoken, and SASR officers, all say the M4 is superior in all ways, and once you actually use the F88 for real, unlike the cadets who have NFI, you will realise how many IA's you have, and how # they are.

keep it real

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
from what i can gather (told by mates in reserves and my own experience in the australian army) is that, reservists AND standard troops get the same gear, its just the standard troops have a longer traning period and recruitment time (4 year contract), dont worry about being a "choco" or a "swat" (sunday wendsay and thursday) your still doing your part.

and all this talk about sas and commandos, with us australian blokes, the SAS is nearly impossible to get into, first off you need to get perfect scores in every single test youve dont in training, then you need to have served a few years, then you need to be asked by the recruiter for them, you cant apply, they need to ask you, my best mate whent in there as a marksman (sniper) and he said it was the toughest thing he ever did

where as the commandos, well when i did the first part of recruitment (basic aptitude test) they said i was best suited for the commando position, and mind you i was 6'2,75kg and 17 years old and lanky, they just told me to beef up and ill be sweet.

those of you looking at joining its a good experience

and good luck with it all

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join