It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Close Call on Snowy Canadian Road - 2 transport trucks head on

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

I presume the dash cam trucker was happy to get home that night, even if his truck was damaged…

news.nationalpost.com...

Chugging down a snow-swept highway, one truck driver didn’t expect another semi driver coming in the other direction to be attempting a dangerous pass.

But that’s exactly what you can see happening in the below video, dated January, 4, 2014 and reportedly shot from a dashboard camera outside Nipigon, northeast of Thunder Bay, Ontario.

“What the hell are you doing! No! No!” the driver screams, ramming his truck into the guardrail to avoid a head-on collision with the other semi, which was attempting to pass a snowplow.

“[The driver of the first truck] was carrying a full load, no he was not driving to fast for the conditions,” the person who posted the video, who goes by the user name clginter wrote in the post description. ”Yes the on coming semi was in the wrong lane passing a snow plow on a double solid line going uphill and heading into a curve while carrying a dangerous load (that is what the sign on the trailer shows).”

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Hopefully the dash cam captured enough details to find out who the driver was, that was making such a stupid decision to pass.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

“[The driver of the first truck] was carrying a full load, no he was not driving to fast for the conditions,”

I wonder who thought that wasn't to fast for conditions? He certainly looks like he was going way to fast for a snow covered road with a full load.

My opinion is they are both at fault.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
That was awesomely scary…

and now to lighten the mood we present to you every childhood sandbox fantasy!

Disasters by Calvin
edit on 31-1-2014 by intrptr because: Levity

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   

TheLieWeLive

“[The driver of the first truck] was carrying a full load, no he was not driving to fast for the conditions,”

I wonder who thought that wasn't to fast for conditions? He certainly looks like he was going way to fast for a snow covered road with a full load.

My opinion is they are both at fault.

Not sure. A few people made comments like this but it's hard to judge speed by a dash cam.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
It's also hard to judge the slipperyness of the road, if there was enough sand on the road, it might not have been slippery at all.

Also depends on the temperature. If it's really cold, it's often not slippery. Saskatchewan and Manitoba roads are often covered in snow all season, and 100 km is often still a safe speed.

Alberta, on the other hand, temperature fluctuates a lot, therefore roads are really slippery more often than not if there's snow covering.
This took place in northern Ontario, they might have had enough constant cold.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Agreed it's hard to judge his speed but not impossible. If we knew the spacing of the guard rail posts then you could work out how many he passed each second. For example If he went past two every second and they were 8 feet apart then we know he was going at least 16 feet a second. You could get close to figuring it out.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
any body saying he is driving too fast probably lives in the south. While you have to use caution snowy roads don't mean you have to drive 5 mph.
As a side note, could you calculate his speed off the camera footage? Just thinking of watching helicopters on film where their blades seem to be stationary due to their speed vs. film speed.
I'm sure you could get a decent estimate

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Update - they found the driver.

ww2.nationalpost.com.../2014/02/06/ontario-trucker-who-almost-collided-head-on-with-semi-driver-facing-char ges-after-police-use-video-to-identify-him

After the near miss, the driver pulled over and called police. The OPP analyzed the video of the collision to identify the other vehicle and driver. Charges are pending against a 31-year-old man from Milton, Ont., police said.

new topics

top topics

join