It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 Million Felons, 47 Million on SNAP, 13 Million on Welfare, 15 Million Unemployed

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Sounds like we recovered so well from that depression we were in....Oh that's right, they changed the way they define depression, I guess it was only a big recession now. Why didn't they do that during the great depression, all they had to do back then is to tell everyone that it was only a recession and everything would have been just fine while they were in the soup lines.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Get rid of the system get rid of governments and life will still be unfair.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
i think of my self as a farmer i am so good at milking the system

get up when i want 7 days a week

roll down to the bar 7 days a week

work harder people i want a raise in my benefits

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
With outsourcing jobs and manufacturing, what else should be expected. Corporations are doing great, too bad the average person isn't.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by thesaneone

You know, greed is what makes the world unfair, that is part of our human nature, emotions that is the downfall of humanity, unless we become enlightened and start to respect each other, but right now we only respect by choice, money is what makes the world go around but sadly the wealth of the world is in the hands of the few that rather than cherish what they have they just keep screwing others in order to get more.

Is always been an agenda of a few holding to power while the rest is kept struggling, if feeds the egos of those in power, is in the human nature.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Felonies are being handed out like candy now for stuff "who would have thought" just a few years ago. Prisons for profit which are contractually guaranteed a certain percentage of their cells to be occupied... Makes a thinking person want to sit by a beautiful pond and watch fish grow !

Germany wanted their gold back.. They were not even allowed to inspect their holdings... 2013 the USA was suppose to make a 7 ton payment...they only paid 3 of the 7... Humm

There are so many things going on now domestically and internationally that I have to wonder if 2014 is going to be a game changer for not just the USA but most of the civilized world. Change is coming IMO, but is like an arrow from an unknown enemy location, we do not know from what direction the shaft cometh..

I remember an article from a guy that survived Argentina's crash... He said one day, (some time frame) the people realized nothing was the same.. No announcement, not one thing, just an accumulation of small things that finally ended in anarchy. Greece and many other places came to a slow boil and "Boom" the next thing they knew TSHTF... They are not the only place anymore .
ferfal.blogspot.com...

My brother visited Argentina a few weeks ago. He’s been living in Spain for a few years now. Within the first week, he got sick, some kind of strong flu, even though climate isn’t that cold and he took care of himself. Without a doubt he got sick because there are lots of new viruses in my country that can’t be found in 1st world countries. The misery and famine lead us to a situation where, even though you have food, shelter and health care, most of others don’t, and therefore they get sick and spread the diseases all over the region.

It’s 1:06 AM over here. I just finished showering and my wife and son are asleep. I was putting shampoo on my hair, thinking about what I wrote today on this post, and remembered the exact moment when I realized along with several other people, not only that TSHTF (that we all knew) but that the world we once new no longer existed, and that this was not a hurricane, this was an ice age period, it wouldn’t just go away.

Again, I can pin point the exact moment when the entire country realized what was happening. After the 2001 crisis things had been bad, but people in Buenos Aires, the capital city and the richest province, didn’t realize how bad things actually where in the other provinces. This was until teachers noted that kids had problems with education. You see, they noticed that they had problems to concentrate, that they fell asleep, and that they found it difficult to resolve mathematical equations.
They later found out that this was due to malnutrition, kids where not receiving the minimum amount of nutrients for a healthy working body. The braking point was when a reporter interviewed a little girl about 8 or 9 years old. The reporter lady asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up, the usual kiddy questions. The girl, crying, said that she didn’t want to be anything; that she didn’t care. The lady asked her why was she crying. She said that she cried because she was hungry, that she had nothing to eat for days, and it was then that I noticed how skinny the little girl actually was.
Seeing children starve is terrible, I guess we all saw those images of the starving kids in Africa. But when you see them speak your same language, with your same accent, in your own country, it hits a nerve.

It just seems like no matter where you look governments or people are having serious problems and some are hanging on by their finger nails over a deep dark cassavas... Are we there yet, for some we are, but for others it is just another day with just a tad bit more hassle or less buying power. If the defaults and bank closings start we will go from the heated water to the fire in a heart beat. I really do not want to experience or see that !

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Hmm this sounds like a fantastic path for America's future...

Felons who are already discriminated against in the work place because they are inherently "untrustworthy" and make the work place generally uncomfortable to the other employees, can now no longer get the basic necessities from the Government.

Paroled Criminal + No Job + No Food Stamps = ??
Yep, you guessed it... It equals Criminal Behavior.

Oh I am not liking the outlook for you American's...

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

macman

onequestion

You think you work harder then me? Your kidding yourself. Yes i made mistakes but you better believe i dont deserve to lose my entire life over it.

Yes, yes I do.

I guess a pissing match is in order, so here we go.

I'm up at 4:30 and at my day job/office by around 6am. Work until around 3-3:30. Home, make dinner, bath and bedtime with kids. Packup my stuff and out to my business from 7:30 till around midnight. Bed by around 1ish.

I do this 5 days a week.
Saturdays I am at my business for about 12 hours.
Sunday in the evenings from 7 till midnight.

Maybe you shouldn't have gotten in trouble.

OOOO OOOO Can I jump In please

3:30 in the morning I get up, every single day because the two little monsters (my daughters) who are autistic have never slept through the night.
5AM get everyone ready for school and myself for work at 7
7AM-6PM Most days (unless I'm needed at home) Work dealing with felons
6-10PM Second job as a CG Artist and of course my full time job single parent of two disabled children.

Every day, i get about 2 1/2 hours of sleep a night...

All of that and I can't find a Primary care phys for myself, as there's a huge shortage in my state.. I do all of this with back surgery gone bad, that I cannot get care for, so yeah that's harder I think maybe..

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Most people don't want to admit it, but luck and opportunity play a huge role.
I can think think a few people who worked harder than the majority of the people out there, working 14 hours a day or more doing back breaking labor on an empty stomach in 112 degree weather, but could never catch a break. I can also think of a few who had everything practically handed to them on a silver platter with no effort on their part, including one person, who had a multi-million dollar company practically handed to him but because he didn't want to put the effort into it, turned it down, and yet the opportunities kept falling at his feet. Why? because he had been born into the right family.

Yes, hard work is the general rule, and personal responsibility plays a role, but so does luck, and you can't control the actions other other people. Bad things happen even when you do everything right.

We as so quick to blame people for their failures in life, we want to believe if they would have just tried harder they would have been successful because it makes us feel safe. "I have worked hard and done everything right my whole life, so I don't have to worry about poverty." That just isn't the truth. Unless you have millions, and even then, there is no guarantee, that you are not one positive test for cancer, one accident, one divorce, natural disaster, one malicious lie, away from total ruin.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Simple fact of life for most..

'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life
Try to make ends meet
You're a slave to money then you die

This changes everything changes, till then the quote above is fact for most...

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

A redistribution of wealth would probably alleviate rather a lot of your nations problems, then again this applies to the planet and not just the USA!

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

If not anything, it's an informative post. I was not aware of a few of those stats and informationals. Interesting. My response is to a few others, and possibly the OP. I have found myself in pretty tough situations as well but was quickly able to turn them around with positive reinforcement and action on my part.

The times I have been in a pickle, for me it was easy to achieve a basic living for my area and situation, and I have always attributed my fortitude to my positive reinforcements and actions... BUT one commentor posted a twisted pic of a poor starving baby eating crap off of the street. A baby that age, well I assume it cannot make such actions and thoughts to turn their situation around. So I agree with yet another commentor, it really does take luck and circumstance. I just don't know anymore.

Thanks for the confusing insight.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Wow, that was well said.

You are right on so many levels.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

Redistrabution of wealth isnt really what im getting at.

My main solution is the scale back government interests. The biggest problem is that we have a greedy society and the real underlying problem are the zealots of greed and wealth.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

Right vicky but the point isnt a pissing match because that wont help us but i know what your saying in response to that post. I was just highlighting the fact that hard work doesnt have anything to do with it with my response.

It sucks that you have to have at that alone its to bad our society doesnt think from the perspective that we are all responsible for the children of the earth. i know thats really hippy dippy but who cares.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Sovaka

We have a really bad understanding of the the word felon means in America. Obviously we dont have 20 million people who truly deserve it. The people that deserve it are the lifers who are in and out of jail all the time not people like me who make mistakes and learn from them.

Its a bad misnomer but your basic premise is very true. Its a very bad social underclass thats forming its ever growing more dangerous.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by thesaneone

Opportunity is always there we just need to open our eyes.

Its hard to see my friend its hard to see.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimpintology

I myself qualified for many years and never applied. So believe you me there are a lot of people out there like myself that are or were too proud to accept welfare. The numbers do not reflect the actual amount.

As for your conviction yeah I agree. It's stupid to kick violent offenders off of SNAP. I understand why they did it to drug felons. They might use federal aid for drugs. It gets worse and worse everyday for felons someday they won't have any options but to be lifelong criminals.

I am one of those people to pimpin. I dont apply for them i work hard and starve. Your right about next to impossible, not impossible but close.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

onequestion
Cant stand the attitudes of the people who think its just hard work because hard work doesnt get you anywhere these days its all about nepotism and who you know. Its really that simple and if you dont see it that way its probably because your blind to the people who have actually helped you out.

Except for all the people that aren't struggling and are doing well and got their from hard-work in a useful market.

Did someone hold a gun to your head and make you break the law? Probably not and I don't doubt your life has been harder since then but it is not my fault that you are struggling and I am sure not going to feel bad that I am not.

I'm 4th company into a career, doing all the same thing, that consists of working hard 8-5 and being on call 24/7, 365. Some weeks it's a 40 hour a week job and some weeks its 60 and I don't get overtime. Yup, those weeks are challenging but also rewarding.

What I know is I don't feel guilty when I get paid and If that means I'm a bad person, so be it.

edit on 2014pAmerica/Chicago3107ppm by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Amen to that, see I get your point and is a good one, but as usual some do nick and pick without thinking just to make their own point.

Yeah people dont want to address the actual words present in the OP. The only debate thats happening is about how people make personal choices noone is directly addressing the content in the OP.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join