It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If gay were straight, and straight were gay.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Lingweenie

I think the problem is that the video sets this all up with a premise that is more or less unbelievable because it wouldn't be sustainable in reality.

Yes, we all understand that homosexuals face prejudice, but trying to fully reverse the world doesn't work because if 97% of the world was born purely homosexual and always had been, the human race would not have sustained itself and would have died out a long time ago.

When you are asking for such a huge suspension of disbelief right off the bat, it interferes with everything else.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

ketsuko

I think the problem is that the video sets this all up with a premise that is more or less unbelievable because it wouldn't be sustainable in reality.

Yes, we all understand that homosexuals face prejudice, but trying to fully reverse the world doesn't work because if 97% of the world was born purely homosexual and always had been, the human race would not have sustained itself and would have died out a long time ago.

When you are asking for such a huge suspension of disbelief right off the bat, it interferes with everything else.

Umm...you're missing the POINT!
Did you read all the posts here?
jacygirl

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I didn't watch the video, because the concept is idiotic. And without having watched the video nor read anything about it, I can tell you for a fact that I probably know why it was made. Because some gays got beat up in school and someone thought it would be clever to make a video about getting bullied for being straight....Oooh how original, it's been done before. Who cares. It's not hypothetical, it's not practical thinking, and it's not even analagous. Straight people have a point, we can procreate and keep natural human love alive. Has nothing to do with religion. It's nature man.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jacygirl

And I posted a novel that sets the same premise up in a far more believable fashion.

So, I am familiar with what they're trying to do. Of course, the novel was about a dystopian future and how history and society goes in a cycle. So, while homosexuality was not the "norm" in terms of everyone being born that way, it was the encouraged way to be and if you were heterosexual, you were looked down on and discriminated against. This was the enforced government policy because of overpopulation. There was even a character who was a straight in the closet.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Hey ketsuko!
I don't believe that the OP intended this to be a discussion about homosexuality though.
It's an example. Theoretical. Hypothetical.
Like the example I gave earlier using 'eye colour'.
If what is considered 'normal' today, was changed....and what's 'not normal' became the norm....
It's about bullying, picking on people who aren't like you...it's...it's...
It's about stopping the hate. *sigh*

jacygirl

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

ScrufferMcGruffer

I didn't watch the video, because the concept is idiotic. And without having watched the video nor read anything about it, I can tell you for a fact that I probably know why it was made. Because some gays got beat up in school and someone thought it would be clever to make a video about getting bullied for being straight....Oooh how original, it's been done before. Who cares. It's not hypothetical, it's not practical thinking, and it's not even analagous. Straight people have a point, we can procreate and keep natural human love alive. Has nothing to do with religion. It's nature man.

Not even reading up on the source material first? Bravo.

The video is a hypothetical metaphor.

And as far as 'nature' is concerned, homosexuality is a part of nature. Human beings aren't the only animals that do it. It happens among many animals in the animal kingdom. So apparently it has it's place in nature also. It's not just a secluded case, and it's been happening for a very long time now.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

If gay were straight, and straight were gay.

Well .. if that were the case then there wouldn't be a population explosion on planet Earth.
Humans would probably die out if only 4% of humanity was heterosexual and procreating.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Are people just reading the title?

you know what From here on,

Assume that Homosexual in this dystopian society, create babies thru artificial insemination and the birth rate is the same as if it were Heterosexual couples.

half of the replies being "they cant have babies" is missing the point and redundant.
edit on 1/31/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

luciddream
Are people just reading the title?

you know what From here on,

Assume that Homosexual in this dystopian society, where they create babies thru artificial insemination and the birth rate is the same as if it were Heterosexual couples.

half of the replies being "they cant have babies" is missing the point and redundant.

Hey luciddream!
Yep!
On page 1 of this thread, I wrote a reply showing how the population would not 'die out' (within this hypothetical scenario)...but no one cares apparently, because the theory has been overshadowed by the word 'homosexual'.
Too bad, it was an interesting thread.
jacygirl

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Yes, and I've been there, too. I spent an entire year of my life being the one in class everyone picked on, just cause. I spent time contemplating suicide ... in third grade, and it has impacted ever since.

You don't need to set up such an absurd scenario in order to touch on that theme and tug heart strings.

Everyone gets bullied, everyone. This is not a new thing, nor is it something that only happens to homosexuals. And it certainly isn't something that only causes homosexuals to feel like killing themselves.

Far better to draw on commonality shared across people than to try to create a scenario that cannot exist in such a fashion and try to get everyone to suspend their disbelief.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I got the OP's point. Hence my contribution of a Twilight Zone episode that it reminded me of.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
If such an imaginary world existed, I'd try to show my disordered "heterosexual" child a bit of the good gay life, but I wouldn't immediately resort to religious mind-control camps, electric shocks or hormone treatments.

Firstly I'd show them the Gospels of Jesus, where He was never a product of abnormal "heterosexual" consorting, and Jesus never mixed much with women, or slept with the opposite sex.

Then I'd show them that mixed genders are like breeding animals in the Bible, and it's never really love.
Women must be silent and bear children to be saved amongst men, so why be amongst them unnecessarily? (1 Timothy 2: 8-15).

A man who looks at a woman in lust commits adultery - why would anybody raise up a child to choose such a sinful life that is constantly verging on hell?

Even Revelations 14:4 suggests that women "defile" men, and thus the opposite genders "defile" each other.

I will not have heterosexual young people in my house who "defile" each other with their unnatural, un-Godly desires!

Life between heterosexuals is cursed since Eve came between God and Adam, and even St. Paul said that those men with wives must act as if they had none (1 Corinthians 7:29).

The Bible is so clear - those who lust for the opposite sex are doomed to eternal burning, where worms never die, and there's not one drop of water to cool their lustful, defiling tongues.
Some straight radicals want sympathy today, but next they want patriarchal power over our daughters, and a sickening macho "tough guise" for our poor sons.

Don't get mad at me; get mad at the Word of God!

Heterosexuals will no longer enter the kingdom according to Jesus, or it is very difficult (they must become celibate or leave their formerly divorced wives and marry a virgin - that's the only way for heterosexuals not to live and die in adultery).

I mean I'm liberal, and I really don't mind.
Some of my best friends are heterosexuals, but I don't trust them with children, and here in Africa they spread 98 percent of AIDS.

If somebody chooses that path, then maybe they can't help being straight, and they probably suffered abuse from a parent to make them seek out a real egalitarian "mommy " or "daddy" for life.
Sadly, often all they find in heterosexuality is abuse, serial monogamy, STDs and addictions.

And then there's all the propaganda fed to our kids to make "straight" look "great".
It's nothing but a conspiracy to overpopulate the world with one group of heterosexist cult believers against another (usually at present: fundamentalist Christians vs. Islamists).
My child should never just be "a number" in a global war.
It will be the end of our Western civilization, if any of these patriarchal "straight" misanthropes get their way.

OK, even some of us good gay people experimented with heterosexuality as teens, but it's just a phase.
Just don't kiss in public while spreading HPV, and make that lifestyle acceptable to our kids!
We don't need your sick propaganda that leads to teen pregnancies, abortions, wife-beating and eventually hiding women behind veils.

Yes for some heterosexual rights; but no to "straight marriage".
That just leads to divorce and so much needless hurt and violence in society.
Besides, the Bible says heterosexual divorced people must stay celibate, or die in unrepentant adultery.
How chilling and dreadful.
Let people marry the same sex as is natural for many species, and even God made Adam for His own enjoyment.

Of course we must never judge, and I wouldn't kick a nice heterosexual couple out of my home.
Just leave normal gay kids alone - don't use our tolerance to indoctrinate the youth with your sick heterosexuality.
Even if the proof is lacking, I think both male and female heterosexuals can get help through prayer or therapy to become normal gay people.

Otherwise, I think it's wrong the way adult heterosexuals are treated sometimes, and I'm for human rights - even for heterosexuals.
edit on 31-1-2014 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Videos like these just preach to the choir.

The people that understand that the video is about irrational bias aren't the ones who the video's point would help.

The rest are going to watch the video then point out how dumb the whole thing is because obviously gays couldn't mate because we all know, lesbians to this point haven't figured out how to have children that's why there is no lesbians having children these days. Gay men also wouldn't be able to have kids in a world where gay relationships were the norm because obviously in such a world it would be impossible for them to give sperm to any number of those lesbians couples.

Oh yeah, the the latter group finishes up their trail of thought with a "hyuck" or snicker.

Missing the point entirely.

I think if I were to make a video like this I'd do it ATS style and make it to where it was an alternate universe where there was an alien race that was all unisex, not necessarily gay but unisex(or hermaphrodites) then make them the main race that treats the humans bad because of their binary sexual orientation, treating gays in our species better because they are closer to their own mating habits.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

OrphanApology,
Oh yay!! Thank you!! I will watch it again...it's been YEARS!!
I appreciate you finding that and posting it...I still have trouble putting up videos, lol.

jacygirl

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

No problem, it's a very interesting video and definitely reminds me of the op.

Just to know a trick when you are in the message box as you are posting a comment there is an youtube icon at the top...just click that and then in the youtube url copy the part after the v=

so for instance www.youtube.com...

you would copy and paste into that field QvQe4SX8oiY.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Just another group who wants the special status of "victim"......

Awww...poor "victims"......

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Fun,

Many people get bullied for various things, from the clothes you wear, to the Music you listen to. Children are cruel, and they learn it from their parents and the Media and what is considered "Cool" and "Normal".

It's hard for anyone to take a look at it through someones eyes, it's easy to use the tired excuse "Reproduction". but can you come up with a real answer?

if you were afraid to live as yourself, if you were afraid to come out to your parents, if you were afraid of torment... can you answer if your child was being put through that? could you look at them and say you are not Normal because you can't reproduce (even though we can)

how would you feel if people talk about you like you are not in the room about a "Gay Agenda" and "Whining Gay Liberal" and you "Selected" to be that way so deal with it. how would you feel if people constantly say you are a "Mental Disorder" "Prayer Can Change" "Hate The Sin not the Sinner"

how disgusting you are, and keep it in the bed room not in public.

can anyone come up with a real answer? or just the "Reproduction" argument?

Intolerance is taught and learned hunty.
edit on 31-1-2014 by Darth_Prime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

OrphanApology,
Thank you, on both (lol).
I thought the video was supportive of the OP, but couldn't find it online for some reason.

Also, I WILL learn to put a video up...I WILL! (thank you, will practise)

jacygirl

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
It's quite terrifying to see what's happening to LGBT people north of us in Africa.

While there are many factors, it's well known that US Christian fundamentalists have been fairly active behind the scenes.
www.nationaljournal.com...

Just like they bear a part of the responsibility for what happens to children accused of witchcraft in Africa, if there is a mass regional genocide in the name of wiping out gay people then this is partly their responsibility.

Their propaganda changed concerned, open-minded people into paranoid, homophobic people.

I really hope it doesn't happen, because that will be the last nail in the coffin of American fundamentalist Christian ideology.

History will never forget.

edit on 31-1-2014 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join