It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the heck is this "chemweb" draping an entire field?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I thought you guys might find this interesting. It's a strange web over an entire English field. Apologies if it is already out here somewhere but I did not see it with search. I would have thought spiders but evidently it's from January. Thoughts?

io9.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jaffo

The article said it was August 2012

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Possibly some sort of caterpillar. just a guess. seen this sort of thing on trees.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Mold....was it an especially wet season? Dirt can produce a white wispy mold when wet too long...and it will
Spread like a ground cover very fast.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by jaffo

My thought is, did you read your own link? It even has pictures with descriptions, clearly stating it's spider webs. Not even a nice try, read your links.

edit on 31-1-2014 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
all I know is if I saw a web that big...yikes..I would be high-tailing it out of there fast..big momma spider may be lurking..that's creepy..and I freaking hate spiders

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jaffo

I know that the government and other interests have been doing things such as doping the population with dumbing calming agent's, ususally through there water supply's for may years and that they would likely have used aerosol dispersion methods in other area's but I really think this is exactly what you have said, it is a spider hatching which can happen in mild weather and the subsequent misting has made it look thicker than it should, intereting non theless.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

It's thousands of little spiders, not one big one. (although I am not sure which is worse)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The link is misleading to a degree. It says 10,000sq.meters then says 5 miles wide x15-20 miles long. Not a big fan of the metric system but that seems more than 10k meters2.

And the guy has enough of a scientific background to carry a gieger counter around with him but doesnt know anybody that can look at it and say yep, just the web of 10,000 baby black widows?

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Here is a similar phenomenon in Australia, caused by thousands and thousands of spiders converging on one small location, trying to avoid flood waters.

Spiders Blanket Fields in Webs to Avoid Flood-Waters in Australia

Image from article above:

edit on 1/31/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

StoutBroux
reply to post by jaffo

My thought is, did you read your own link? It even has pictures with descriptions, clearly stating it's spider webs. Not even a nice try, read your links.

edit on 31-1-2014 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

Actually, it says nothing of the sort. Go back and re-read it. There was a similar incident in Australia which was spiders, but no one has yet presented a solid explanation on this one as far as I can see in the direct link or any offshoots. Next time how about you take my "I thought you guys would find this amusing" and either be amused or just shut up and go about your business instead of being an a*5 about it?

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Those are some freakin' intelligent spiders. I would never have thought they'd do that.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Wow, a chem story based right where I live!!!!! Tickhill is 2 minute drive from my house.

Shame it's all bull. Well, at least I'm guessing it was because nobody around here was remotely concerned about it then, or now. Great to see though.

ETA, 2012 was a very wet summer, with standing water in the fields for weeks, which seems a common link with the Aussie story
edit on 31-1-2014 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Those are some freakin' intelligent spiders. I would never have thought they'd do that.

Regarding the Australia story, I would think spiders could conceivably find a place in which there are no flood waters simply by walking away from the flooding water itself. Perhaps the waters rose in such a manner that herded the spiders towards one general area.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jaffo

I would have thought spiders but evidently it's from January. Thoughts?

Well, other than the fact it was only uploaded in Jan. you should have stuck with that first thought, but that is a minor detail as this should help you with an answer...

www.metabunk.org...

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Not chemicals, not spiders, but webs woven by thousands of ermine moth caterpillars. See www.dailymail.co.uk... tors.html
edit on 31 1 2014 by SummerLightning because: to clarify

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SummerLightning

Not chemicals, not spiders, but webs woven by thousands of ermine moth caterpillars. See www.dailymail.co.uk... tors.html

Pretty smart of those little caterpillars.

Thanks, as this is the first I have heard of this catepillar, because usually it ends up being spiders.

top topics

join