It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Sochi is safe, Americans should go

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

stupid fool. He has 0 control over what happens in Russia.
Putin will lock the place down, you wont be able to get within 10kms of the zone unless your registered.

But what about other cities? When the Russian eye is focused on the region, who looks at Paris?.. Berlin?.. Bangkok...

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Your safety can't be guaranteed anywhere. A few years back a lady in my neighborhood was killed while taking a nap on her sofa on a Saturday afternoon when a kid high on pot stole a van then spun out on a wet road and drove the van into the ladies house. Just taking a nap and boom gone. Safety cannot be guaranteed in any situation even just laying on the couch.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

I already mentioned the Atlanta bombing by a radical anti-abortionist.
The point about the location of SOCHI is legitimate. It's in a very dangerous part of the world.
It's SMART to be aware of that fact.

NY Post - Congressman says SOCHI olympics most dangerous in history

The terror threat hanging over the Winter Olympics in Sochi likely will make it the most dangerous Olympics in history, Rep. Peter King warned Sunday.

“The fact is these are going to be very much threatened Olympics. Probably more than any we have had in our past,” declared King (R-LI), chairman of the House Homeland Security subcommittee on counterterrorism.

“Now this is a dangerous situation. Hopefully things will work out, but it’s nowhere near ideal,” King said on ABC’s “This Week.”

Washington Times - SOCHI Olympics the Most Dangerous Games Ever - EX CIA Chief

Mike Morrell, the former deputy director for the CIA, warned on Monday that the Sochi Games are “the most dangerous” he’s ever seen, and that Americans traveling to the region should stay on high alert.

“I think these are the most dangerous Olympics I’ve experienced in my adult life,” Mr. Morrell said, during an appearance on “CBS This Morning.” He went on: “You have a capable, dedicated, determined terrorist group that has been around for a long time [and] that recently conducted two attacks in Russia, who say that they want to attack during the games.”

Last month’s suicide attacks by the Islamist group Vilayat Daghestan – or, Daghestan Province — left 34 dead and dozens wounded in the city of Volgograd, about 400 miles from Sochi. Mr. Morrell said that while the Olympics venue is probably well-protected, the real threat to visiting Americans could very well be in the hotels, motels and airports outside of the Village.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Agit8dChop
But what about other cities? When the Russian eye is focused on the region, who looks at Paris?.. Berlin?.. Bangkok...

That's actually a very good point. With all the eyes on SOCHI ... I wonder how MOSCOW and other cities outside the area will fare. Other cities around the world will think all the trouble will be in SOCHI and they possibly won't be thinking about their own issues.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   
If you don't go, the terrorists win.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   

nixie_nox

If you go and get blown up, the terrorists win as well.

The point is, the POTUS told Americans that it's safe and they should go. What should have been said is that security measures have been taken and Russia is doing everything possible to ensure safety, but all things considered it can't be said that 'it's safe' and we just don't know. People need to make their own educated decisions. A blanket statement by any POTUS or any politician saying 'it's safe' ... that's kinda irresponsible.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
We should always be prepared, but we should just stop being so damned afraid!

fearfearfearfear!

omygodomygodomygod

We've become a culture of scardy cats.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   

FlyersFan

nixie_nox

If you go and get blown up, the terrorists win as well.

The point is, the POTUS told Americans that it's safe and they should go. What should have been said is that security measures have been taken and Russia is doing everything possible to ensure safety, but all things considered it can't be said that 'it's safe' and we just don't know. People need to make their own educated decisions. A blanket statement by any POTUS or any politician saying 'it's safe' ... that's kinda irresponsible.

Wait, did you actually listen to the interview or just read the article, cause he does say Russia has taken all security measures to ensure safety, both for athlets and guest

edit on 31-1-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

If you will kindly review the work of their troops in anti terrorist ops your confidence might wane. Which is why the military insisted on sending ships into the area.
As to the other thing about being afraid I'm not ,I'm a carrier.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

beezzer

This is not a sign of the apocalypse, but I do agree with Obama.

There is no problem with the Olympics. Americans should go.

Or, we can all hide because the big bad terrorists might getcha!

That's about my thought too.. Every Olympics has major threat and we can either live or we can hide in a corner and whimper like children. Well. It's been too long since I was a kid. I wouldn't know how.... I wish I could have afforded a ticket. Sochi would have been something to see.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   

beezzer

This is not a sign of the apocalypse, but I do agree with Obama.

There is no problem with the Olympics. Americans should go.

Or, we can all hide because the big bad terrorists might getcha!

Too many people let fear run their lives. It just shows they are letting the terrorist win.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Agit8dChop

stupid fool. He has 0 control over what happens in Russia.
Putin will lock the place down, you wont be able to get within 10kms of the zone unless your registered.

He's the fool but you are talking like the terrorist are just waiting to strike at any moment. You have better chance of getting struck by lighting than getting killed by a terrorist attack so you better not go outside because it's not safe out there anymore.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Personally I agree with the statement that there is always a threat at international events. But I think what makes this one different is that there already has been at least 2 terrorist events there recently with at least one more stopped? if thats what you call it.

And with the neighboring countries in upheaval and Russia's war against Chechnya, the Boston marathon bombing by Chechnyans
and last but not least the threats made I think it is very plausible that they will try something.

Not saying bobs under the ski jump or in the olympic stadium but how long ago were the games awarded to Sochi? Years ago at least. Thats a lot of time to plant some explosives.

And lets not forget the false flag community which isn't exactly in the cuckoos nest. Lets say Russia really wants to beat down the Muslim extremists and or Saudi Arabia. What better way than an incident at the Olympics? What better way to restore your standing in the global view as a super power than a quick, no nonsense, decisive action to eradicate Muslim extremists.

Lets say here in America illegal mexican aliens started blowing stuff up and killing people. (luckily for us they just want to work and suck our welfare teet). You can bet they would be (hopefully) rounded up and dealt with and everybody of mexican heritage would be scrutinized and not many people would oppose.

Now look at Russia. Starting to have to deal with muslim extremists and while not every Muslim is a terrorist, for the most part every terrorist is a muslim. You can't deny that. And the problem is that the terrorist tend to blend in with the population.

So have some event, involving people from all over the world while everybody is watching and you have your excuse to start exporting people from your country of whatever race or religion you want, with the support of the global community.

Just a thought and I hope I am wrong. Personally I don't think anything will happen although I wouldnt count out some major busts of some paid off lackeys.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Sochi is a logistical nightmare, and it's in the Chechens' backyard. Those two things alone make it different than London.

So, I have to know - Is the president going?

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

Starting to have to deal with muslim extremists and while not every Muslim is a terrorist, for the most part every terrorist is a muslim. You can't deny that.

The FBI denies it. In fact over 90% of terrorist acts are carried out by non Muslims in America. And world wide they still rate lower than the Christian and Zionist extremist when it comes to terrorist attacks.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
So...is everyone getting HIV tests?

I know that before I was going to travel to Russia I had to submit a negative HIV test as a part of my travel visa (apparently a normal passport wasn't enough).

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
You know how the sheep is somehow scared of the sound the guard dog makes and stay inside the fence for rest of its life.... until it's wool is robbed and finally get send to slaughter house.

It seems the russian and the terrorist scare is well embedded into some people's psyche. Good little followers.

What FOX been saying? i wanna know their tabloid headlines! its good for a chuckle.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I have little doubt for that number inside the United States, as Muslims are a minority and an extreme one when it comes to militant Muslims. I'd be shocked if they accounted for even a full 10% of violence inside the US based on political motivation (terrorism).

World wide? I'd love to see figures saying Christian/Jewish followers commit more terrorist acts in the modern and current times than Muslim extremists. Perhaps that's true...but i'll say I outright don't buy it without something to support it. It flies in the face of logic to what we see, hear and watch on a daily basis.

I'll also note that I word that carefully, since it wouldn't be the first time 'logic' yielded to facts which were downright counter-intuitive. So, any basis on the world wide figures?

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Oh I didn't know that congressmen were gods. My bad. Of course if a congressmen says it it has to be true. Except that on every other thread on this site the government are the liars and bad guys . But when it suits your agenda then they are the end all and be all. How can it be. The president says it's safe he's a liar a congressman says it's not safe he's looking out for us. He's correct. Ok but I need to point out that that is faulty logic.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

The CIA agent saying these are the most dangerous Olympics he's ever experienced is nuts because he has not experienced them yet as they have not yet occured. Oh maybe he's a psychic that could be it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join