It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK nuclear workers told to stay home as radioactivity rises

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   
time to get shed loads of drones flying with dosimeters fitted.

they'd soon find where the source is

oh hold on, maybe that's the secret military agenda for flying drones over civilian populations.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by diddy1234

Erm, yeah......

Or maybe, just maybe, it is just something within the realms of normalcy. Not everything is some nefarious conspiracy - in fact, hardly anything is, except in the minds of confused people in the dark corners of the internet who have detached from reality a little bit...

EDIT: I would add that if the UK Military wanted to fly drones, they'd fly drones. They wouldn't bother with some cock-and-bull cover story for an excuse.
edit on 31/1/14 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I suspect before the day is out we'll hear official word that the elevated levels of radiation are due to the Fukushima disaster. The fact the elevated levels have been discovered at a reprocessing facility is entirely coincidental!

They blamed radioactive sheep in the area previously on the Chernyobl disaster, so it would be no stretch of the imagination for those in power to blame Fukushima. It's just a stretch of the credulity of the electorate!!!!

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Well the wind here in Scotland is blowing west so Northern Ireland will be getting it first.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Rob37n

Chenobyl did release an awful lot of radiation into the atmosphere which did blow over Western Europe. They knew it came from there because of the isotopes

Previous radiation leaks from Sellafield have been openly declared and there have been a few over the years, dating from the 50's there have been a couple of dozen or so incidents.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   

MessageforAll
reply to post by TrueBrit

I see, well that's good to know, the article on RT provided by OP didn't really specify it wasn't a nuke plant.

being an American, I have seen how our own media has been biased, especially when reporting news that happened in another country. and I assume this is how it is for news agencies from other countries. RT would have it's own subtle bias toward western countries, and this consideration should be given the same weight as when the reverse happens. in other words, you don't s**t where you eat.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   

in other words, you don't s**t where you eat.

unless you live in the UK where the government treats everyone as thick idiots that must be force fed political B***S*** news

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   

diddy1234

in other words, you don't s**t where you eat.

unless you live in the UK where the government treats everyone as thick idiots that must be force fed political B***S*** news

there are idiots in every country, America, UK, France, Russia, Germany, china, etc... but also, there are people in all these countries that are smart, and do their own research. the problem is when the idiots get too much media air time, and the others don't. it tends to influence the perception of that particular country as a whole to others. classic type of nationalism takes hold as a "we versus them" idiom.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
ATTENTION EVERYBODY.

There is nothing to see here.

Slightly higher than normal readings at the north end of the site have prompted them to ask workers to stay at home as it will end in traffic chaos coming through the main gate while they assess the situation...the main gate which of course is situated at the North of the site.

Normal maintenance workers and other non-essential staff like cafeteria workers are being allowed on site.

On the plus side, the father in law gets a day off work.

That is all.

This information comes directly from the source.

If I hear anything else I will let you know.
edit on 31/1/14 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Woo! Go woogleuk! I do love when members have an on the scene connection. It makes understanding unfolding scenarios so much less about guess work, and far more about being made aware!

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Cheers Woogle. Being reported as higher than usual levels of Radon (naturally occuring) gas but i guess you can't be too careful where nuclear is concerned........

Stay safe.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Yeah, that's right....

Local rag reporting on it now...

www.newsandstar.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

angelchemuel
Same thing happened a couple of years ago...there was a thread here about it....
Nothing serious then either...
Rainbows
Jane

But as we have learned with Fuku, the ACTUAL threat or danger from radiation leaks at facilities like this bears little resemblance to what authorities and governments might initially admit exists. Even if all 20 sensors were indicating massive radiation, they can very easily and without conscience tell media its only 1 and is probably malfunctioning anyway.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
One of the leaks that they tryed to cover up in the past.

DM

Wind scale fire

None of thease companys whos main duty is profit can be trusted with tech like this.
edit on 31-1-2014 by Glz00 because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
A friend of mine who lives near there told me today that this happens a lot more than people realize, it just doesn't always get reported to/by the media.

Not sure how reassuring that is.

CX.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

zeroBelief

TrueBrit

Also, I think it is worth pointing out that Sellafield will never be the focus of a Fukushima grade nuclear event, because of the difference between the purposes of these two installations. Sellafield is essentially a dump for nuclear material, where as the Fukushima Daiichi plant was an actual reactor. Totally different issues surround both, but there will not be any manner of explosion at Sellafield, assuming no one starts throwing blocks of C4 around like party favours.

Well....

A very good friend of mine works at Sellafield. And just the other day he was telling me that there is a known scenario where should a certain event occur, the site and surrounding areas (to which he intimated that it would be quite a distance) would have 12 hours to evacuate before a rather sincere event.

I'm going to email him right now and find out what the situation is. I'll follow it up with a phone call once I am awake.

I'll let everyone know what I find out.

So, I heard back from my mates in Cumbria....

Apparently a northern most Radon detector went off. This is what sent everyone home, and had my buddy (who I truly would have thought to be considered "essential personnel") sitting at home on his butt playing XBox....

So, it sounds pretty much like a relatively minor situation that was inflated due to safety concerns...good when dealing with nuclear stuff...not so good when it's Houston and they close the city down because of "rain".....

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by zeroBelief

I'm in Cumbria, more specifically West Cumbria where Sellafield is located. It's pretty much the largest source of employment round here.

I've worked there, my father has worked there (he played a part in the instalment of the Thorp reactors, and was on site during a pretty serious radioactive gas leak in the 80's...he said men in white boiler suits came and scrubbed him and his co-workers with wire brushes in the showers!), several other friends and family members have worked there, and still do.

I can say with all honesty that they are not innocent when it comes to covering up mishaps, some of which you and other people wont hear about for many years to come...a cover up of information which pretty much knackers anyone trying to file a claim for cancer that has without a doubt been a result of working there, but the evidence is sitting in a filing cabinet until the year 20xx.

Incidents like this one though are common, and the reaction by the company are to cover their own backs in case it is something more serious...but it usually isn't.

The main reason (in my opinion, and my father in laws who works on site) people were told not to come in as they had to close the north end of the site for inspection which would have caused a major tailback on the road leading into the main entrance of the site, and the surrounding roads.

That being said...I still think Sellafield is a major incident waiting to happen, too many times people cut corners in sensitive areas and it's only a matter of time before we see a major incident (again) on the aging equipment there...more than the usual water leaks we have seen in the (recent) past.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

woogleuk
That being said...I still think Sellafield is a major incident waiting to happen, too many times people cut corners in sensitive areas and it's only a matter of time before we see a major incident (again) on the aging equipment there...more than the usual water leaks we have seen in the (recent) past.

IMHO, any facility that deals with nuclear materials...and has a known possibility of a scenario occurring wherein there is a twelve hour clock that begins to count down....

....and the last click on that timer is the impending consequences of a "sincere disaster".....

Not good.

What I can tell you is, whereas my friend works in a capacity directly related to S.H.E., he genuinely cares and does his damnedest to do a good job. He knows that his life, the life of his family and friends...as well as MY family and friends depend on his doing a good job.

Yet all I hear about, is stories about the mindset of middle management and accountants which seems to be so pervasive in the UK. I'll openly say, hell, we're victim of it here in the US as well.

Meetings. About meetings. About what other meetings will be about. Meta - meetings.

Why haven't you met your quota? Because of my attendance at the required meetings.

Why aren't you happy?

These are things I routinely hear, and experience myself.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join