It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Product Warning And Recall Notice WINCHESTER® 22 Long Rifle Rimfire Ammunition

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
simple fix for this, dont buy winchester rifle ammo. utterly worthless crap. hopeless .22 accuracy, and pathetic .270win accuracy and reliability. the last box(3rd ever of this crap) of winchester .270win ammo i bought had 5 defective rounds.

they need to stick to shotgun shells

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Snarl

nugget1
... for a recall to happen it means QA went back to their reserved ammo and did testing, which showed it wasn't the occasional fluke.

You wouldn't believe how much testing is done on each lot! This isn't even 'human error'; it's dereliction of duty.

Yeah ... I'm afraid you're right ... all the way down to the dereliction part. I'm sure some people are gonna get pink slips on this one. [/quote

Oh, we can only hope that is the case!

Hypothetically, if you worked with a real slacker that threw the rounds he was supposed to function in the scrap bucket, and just wrote down a few results on the accuracy test (pulled out of his imagination) whenever he didn't feel like doing his job,his co-workers would figure out pretty quickly.

They might even bring it to their super's attention, who might pass the suspicions on up the chain of command.
If said slacker was a life-long drinking buddy of the dept. head.....well, catch 22.

Hypothetically, of course.

edit on 50000001111America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Snarl

OptimusSubprime
reply to post by Snarl

I had a problem with Winchester 40S&W about 9 months ago, except the problem was the opposite... not enough powder in the round.

I've been shooting for over 40 years. I've never had a problem with a powder charge in a commercially produced round. I don't doubt you, but I'd have to say it's exceptionally rare. I own a couple of presses and hand load exclusively now. In all honesty I'm more afraid of making a mistake myself than finding one in a box from a name brand manufacturer.

Stay safe, brother, and keep your powder dry!

Hey, I was just as surprised as you! What happened was I shot a round and the projectile didn't leave the barrel, then the following round was shot and hit the stuck projectile and pieces of the projectile went everywhere, including lodging into my thumb. The range master called it a "squib round", meaning that there wasn't enough powder in the projectile to propel it out of the barrel. He said that he has only ever seen that happen with home loaded rounds, and has never seen it with a commercially produced round... but that's what happened. Needless to say I haven't bought Winchester since... I'll stick with Federal.
edit on 31-1-2014 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
My nephew was shooting an SKS when he had a failure to fire. The round that he was prepared to fire had not fully chambered because the bullet from the previous round was still in the barrel. Luckily for him, the bullet traveled such a short distance that the bullet from the next round touched the bullet in the barrel, preventing the round from chambering. The distance from locking up was less than 1/8''. The action was full of unburned powder.
He drove the bullet back out of the barrel and had a jeweler mount it on a chain that he wears around his neck. He was lucky.

What I am unsure of is how the action cycled, since the bullet did not go past the gas port. Any ideas?
edit on bu312014-01-31T15:04:35-06:0003America/ChicagoFri, 31 Jan 2014 15:04:35 -06003u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

butcherguy
What I am unsure of is how the action cycled, since the bullet did not go past the gas port. Any ideas?

You've got me. The worst I've ever personally experienced is a bad primer. I saw some barrels bulge while I was in the Army, but for all the knocks the M16 got, I'd have to say they had a pretty good track record. All you had to do was keep 'em clean and lubed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join