It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My sleep paralysis experiences. Absolutely terrifying.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by WHYFIGHT

I think you misunderstand, this is not an OBE or astral projection. You don't exit your body. I don't see my body below except once I have experienced that. There is no relaxing because one cannot control the body.

I would feel as if my body was being 'taken'. It's extremely intrusive. I felt violated and would absolutely not give permission and relax into that horror show. There's nothing nice about it.

ETA

The experience you speak of , I have had and yes that can feel wonderful and I've been able to relax into that and enjoy it. This is a whole different kettle of fish IMO
edit on 1-2-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

I agree. My eyes were open when this happened.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

People do move their body while asleep though, so it is not paralysed. The word paralysis is used because we associate that word with not being able to move.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I've never experienced this first had, thankfully. My girlfriend, however has SP sometimes as often as once a week. For her it is always the same. Her mother, who passed away when she was a child, says things she used to when she was young. The voice changes half way through to a more demonic sounding voice and when she opens her eyes she sees a shadowy figure standing over her holding her down. Until I found out what sleep paralysis was we both were pretty concerned because we thought it had a paranormal nature. She jumped straight to "it's aliens." As cool as aliens would be...this is probably better.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I too suffer from SP. Although it hasn't happened in recent months and they tend to be some times in between, which tends to make them even more terrifying when they do happen because I'm completely surprised. When mine happen they tend to happen multiple times over one after another and I almost always try and force myself out of them, doing so causes me to be so exhausted that right after I am able to move again I quickly fall asleep only to have it happen again. One time my father noticed me have one when I was a teen after I fell asleep on the couch he described it as "having a fit" probably due to myself constantly trying to force myself to move.

The funny part is that when I had my first one I had recently gained a liking towards almost every thing alien related and there was little old middle school me thinking he was being abducted by aliens and it may or may not have scarred me for a long time.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   

WHYFIGHT
reply to post by Jarring

It's not an illness, you were built that way. It's you fear of the situation that makes it unpleasant. Relax and exit the body.

trust me, it's not just in my head. i feel the pain in my entire body, it seems like it has something to do with the blood pressure, as that's the kind of pain it is, or rather the pain is a surging movement in my body. I've tried to relax, it doesn't help. It seems like the best thing to do is to try and wake up, but a lot of the times that doesn't even help. It can take awhile for me to wake up, but that's the only way I'll get out of it.

i can understand for some people it might only be in their head, and it's easiest for them to will it away as such. but for me, it is a problem with my physical health. Like, I might have accidentally ingested something I shouldn't have while on a medication. As for ingesting things on it's own to cause it, like caffeine/energy drinks, taking too much tylenol also causes it. I wouldn't doubt there are many medications or things you ingest in combination with each other can be the bearer of bad news. It may also have something to do with your liver or red blood cell count.

But one of my worst experiences with it was from when I had ingested a lot of caffeine and energy drinks, including this one extremely powerful one that I had drunk too much of. It was so bad that I thought I was going to die and called the doctor when I was finally able to wake up. They said it happens with caffeine.

Caffeine, however, is not the only source of my problems, as it happens from other things as well. I can only assume it is because of how harshly I've treated my liver over the years.

As for people that believe it is completely in the head, or paranormal, I don't know what to say. You could try seeing a therapist.

It is never been a head thing for me. Dreams or demons have never played a significant role in my sleep paralysis. The only hope for me is to wake up, as I assume that the brain shutting down causes whatever was once benign, to start causing problems.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Goblin

For you--or anyone interested in sealing themselves off against these kinds of negative energies while you sleep--try this simple Buddhist qigong exercise before going to bed.

(1) Lie on your right side in the Lion Posture

(2) Inhale deeply. As you exhale, chant (aloud or mentally) the mantra OM MA NI PAD ME HUM

(3) Repeat seven times

(4) Imagine a beam of bright red light shooting up from your throat chakra connecting you to the heavens--picture it going as far as possible

(5) Imagine that beam of light descending to cover your entire body with a mosquito netting of red light, protecting you from all negative energy

(6) Fall asleep while surrounded with this red light

If you find that helpful and want to learn more qigong exercises to strengthen the body, cure/prevent disease, or help steady the mind, try Qigong Empowerment

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
About 13 or 14 years ago I woke up just as it was starting to get light but was still pretty gloomy. I was just getting ready to go back to sleep when I felt pressure on the bed like somebody climbing in beside me. I felt what appeared to be a hand slip gently under my neck but it did not feel threatening. However I tensed my whole body because it freaked me out. Then the mood changed suddenly to extremely threatening and the hand began to rapidly twitch at the same time that a voice began whispering gibberish into my ear, I could even feel the breath. Well this was too much for me so I bolted out of bed and ran screaming onto the landing. My mum came rushing out asking if I was alright and I told her that I had just got up early to wash my hair before going to work. She, of course, gave me a weird look.
At the time I believed that I had been visited by a ghost and was too scared to go back into the room to get fresh clothing. I just reached around the door and grabbed what I had been wearing the day before from a chair near the door. That night I stayed round my then boyfriend's house because I was too terrified to sleep in the room. I was living in a strange house at the time and many weird things used to happen.
I always discounted sleep paralysis as I was not paralysed, (I managed to tense up when the hand first touched me and ran out of the room screaming) and did not seem to wake up between it happening and running out of the door. Now I wonder if it is the same thing as SP after reading about others who experienced similar things but could also move. Especially interesting for me is that one of the other posters even felt something climb onto the bed with them!
Maybe it is like there is a spectrum between dreaming and being fully awake and I was just a little closer to the awake part than most people.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Whenever it happens to me i tense my body and break out of it. I really don't like the feeling of not being able to move.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I seem to get sleep paralysis in stages, when it does happen it happens maybe 3-4 times in a week then won't happen again for 6 months.

Very much like what I have read here it varies, the majority of the time I can't move apart from my eyes and my breathing gets heavy. Apparently however talking to my partner she has told my my breathing just gets slightly deeper, when it's happening I try my hardest to move, pinch, nip to wake her so I can be snapped out if it all to no avail.

I have had some terrible experiences including the weirdest which was like I was watching a horror movie then all of a sudden they turned and stared at me as if they could see me watching, at this point they started gathering around me.

The oddest thing that happens is sometimes I can tell it's going to happen, I hear a really loud slam as if a door was slamming. When this happens I generally come to my senses and realise I'm in bed and that sound didn't happen really.

Really is a very odd experience and terrifying, I don't think it has anything to do with the paranormal though.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by crzayfool

I'm glad I read your post about the presence felt in these instances (possibly) being yourself in astral form.

It makes sense and even if wrong, is greatly calming... so thanks.

In the instance I described a few pages back, my fear (or terror) was something... and I never considered the depression in the bed might have been "me" trying to return to bed.

So again, a brilliant bit of info and I thank you. I can sleep in my bedroom again with the lights off... heh.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I don't believe for one minute its not real. And I'd be working on this:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
A Pocketful Of Joy

Raise frequency. Give to others and forgive all, really work at progressing, doing the work you came to do and growing far beyond any access to you.

(post by projectbane removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I still lurk these forums on and off, and this post actually got me to remember my login info again just so I could respond, some 10 years since last discussing this. Haha. I've been a member for ~10 years and am 32 now to put things into perspective.

Anyway I used to get Sleep Paralysis ALL THE TIME, it would come and go. Definitely throughout college and many years afterwards, now just every once in a while, it's been a few months since I've gotten it though. I used to suffer from it chronically, hundreds upon hundreds of lifetime experiences. Over the years I've learned A LOT of things about it, so I am a wealth of information for anyone that wants to pick my brain.

Of my many episodes, most of which were pretty terrifying - I have had 3 or 4 that have honestly shook me to my core and made me question reality. I've experienced auditory, visual, and physical sensations during these. There was a period of a year or 2 solid that i had multiple sleep paralysis' a week. I've gone through phases of inducing them as a means for Astral Projection, fighting them off at all costs - and everywhere in between.

If you'd like to know, i can give you some pointers on exactly how to increase your chances of experiencing them, how to lessen your chances, how to fight your way out of it, or how to let it overtake you.

To touch on a few different aspects of this thread, in my standard SP I can typically manage to move my head slightly, and crack my eyes open barely, and toss myself out of it through sheer will and practice (though not always quickly). The "inverse room" that I saw someone mention, that is actually the best way to get yourself into a lucid dream (not AP yet). Things that in reality you know are different, but your brain is rearranging them in a different way in your dream. Another great way is (while awake) to always look at a clock or watch with regularity, make it a habit over a few weeks, in defined intervals or when you do things at work/around the house - that way in your dreams you begin to do that same action too. Over time in your dreams you'll soon realize that when you look at your watch and it says: "11:22PM", and then you look away and instantly right back at your watch and it says "8:45AM"...you know you're dreaming. It then becomes a lucid dream and you can control it. The watch is just my example, there are other ways. But I digress..

So anyway remember that when you're experiencing a sleep paralysis episode, your mind has suddenly become aware but your body is still physically/chemically asleep which is regulated by your pineal gland - so you've just come out of a full deep-subconscious state of mind. All of your senses are EXTREMELY heightened. The slightest sound from a TV, car honking outside, wind, barely perceptible clicking of your hard-drive, static noise of a monitor, even shadows that your partially opened eyes can see - your senses process these hundreds of times more powerfully than if you were fully functional. These can spawn haunting sounds, screams, wails, hallucinations, anything your sick twisted mind can conjure up. All thanks to your Pineal gland being caught with its proverbial pants down. I'm not saying there aren't malevolent entities out there, as I have trained to consciously OOBE and travel the Astral Plane on numerous occassions, and have had my share of "fun times".... But sleep paralysis is definitely a conscious gateway to that realm when you can control it, all due to the relaxed and mental state that your mind is at during sleep.

So who wants the bullet-list of best ways to induce SP? Lol.
edit on 2-2-2014 by Ajax because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I used to have sleep paralysis quite often as a child. But for me it wasn't just sleep paralysis. Sometimes I would see a figure standing at the doorway to my room, but I was fully awake and conscious. I could move just fine. I started sleeping with the covers over my head though. One time whatever it was I saw hovering over me through the sheet (knitted blanket with hole pattern) face to face. That was terrifying. Just closed my eyes and prayed for God to help me. I was probably 8 at the time, and I had a lot of nightmares also. I didn't start having sleep paralysis though until I was a teenager. Maybe due to the accumulation of negative experiences, more power was given to the entity? I dunno, but depression and stress made things worse. All I could think about was screaming and trying to move. That never worked. Eventually praying (in my head, because I couldn't talk) in Jesus' name would end it, but that's only so effective. Actually following Jesus is what ended the experiences entirely. Forgiving all, giving of myself to others, making my heart and actions right with God. That's what finally ended the experiences.

P.S.
Blue Goblin, I have no idea why but for some reason your avatar is provoking an instant fear response in me. This is weird because I've never had this kind of response just by looking at something. No idea why that is, but just thought I'd mention it...

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Baddogma

I'm glad that you have taken something from my explanation, it helped my Mother too. We always sit down and talk about her experiences and I try to help explain them, whilst guiding her fear away from demons and what not. She is very susceptible to sleep paralysis. She too often sees a depression in the bed or more so feels someone sit down on the bed next to her, which is what "wakes" her in the first place.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Goblin

I don't find sleep paralysis paranormal what so ever. It seems like a very natural (albeit rarer) neurological "hiccup". I have had the fortunate luck of experiencing it once. Very interesting occurrence!

In mine, I was sleeping on my back on the bed, which is a position I almost never sleep in; but for some reason I felt it was comfortable that night. Just before I awoke, my eyes were open (literally), but I was still "dreaming".

My fiance was sleeping next to me, and I could see her with my peripheral vision. I was really seeing what I was seeing, as my eyes were open, but my brain was still "asleep", and was producing dream like images as well, over top of what I was seeing in reality.

I saw a dark figure rise up from the end of the bed (where my feet were). It slowly came up, black, drenched hair over a female body (think the exact depiction of The Ring girl, but more like 18-20 years old, and still petite). I couldn't make out a face at all, as the hair was over her face. Knotted and wet, as if she just came from rotting in some kind of bog. I tried to grab my fiance, as it was so vivid that I thought it was real, but I couldn't move, and felt helpless. I was so paralyzed that I couldn't even move my eyes, so I was stuck staring at this creature, who was staring at me, breathing, but not moving. I had to use my peripheral vision for everything.

My daughter, 16 years old, came up the stairs and into the washroom. Remember, though, the room was what I was seeing in reality, everything else was still the dream.

I attempted to scream out her name, so she could run away for her safety, as this creature seemed very dark and dangerous. So my daughter closed the bathroom door, and didn't hear me (because I was paralyzed and couldn't even groan).

That very instant is when I realized, "I'm dreaming!"

I don't have a daughter! (I'm 24). Once I came to that realization, I instantly became totally conscious. The creature was gone, and I felt quite relieved.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

You create the fear yourself. My sleep paralysis was severe and nightly for months at a time. Much if it was far more surreal and horrific then what has been mentioned here. You are in control. You decide to have a fear based, negative experience or not to have a fear based, negative experience. When you lay yourself to sleep at night tell yourself, "I'm not afraid." say it loud. The decision is yours. Once the will of that which is you is invoked you are unstoppable. When you feel the first touch of the paralysis creeping in re-assert your will. stay calm. I know the only thing in the room there is you. Nothing is trying to take you. there is nothing sitting on your chest. This isn't something you need to be afraid of. It's the start of a deeper understanding of yourself and the true nature of the world you live in. Since I removed fear from the equation I no longer get sleep paralysis. I've moved on to other things. There truly is nothing to fear. I wish you the best. control is yours for the taking.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by WHYFIGHT

Thank you.
I have managed to remove that fear. I'm not afraid anymore. Took some time to do but eventually it can be done.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join