It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Provides 0.2% of Electric Supply--Up From 0.02% Before Obama

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

(CNSNews.com) - Solar power, which President Barack Obama promoted in his State of the Union Address, accounted for 0.2 percent of the U.S. electricity supply in the first nine months of 2013, according to data published by the U.S. government's Energy Information Administration. - See more at: www.cnsnews.com...

Really and after 6 years of 'Hope, and Change'.!

“Now, one of the biggest factors in bringing more jobs back is our commitment to American energy,” Obama said in the State of the Union. “The all-of-the-above energy strategy I announced a few years ago is working, and today, America is closer to energy independence than we've been in decades

Just pay no attention to the EPIC green failures of that same 6 year period.

As many as 50 Obama-backed green energy companies bankrupt or troubled

“It's not just oil and natural gas production that's booming; we're becoming a global leader in solar, too,” he said. “Every four minutes, another American home or business goes solar; every panel pounded into place by a worker whose job can't be outsourced. Let's continue that progress with a smarter tax policy that stops giving $4 billion a year to fossil fuel industries that don't need it, so that we can invest more in fuels of the future that do.”

What stop them BIG OIL subsidies ?

Obama must hate them poor people!

The Hard Truth: Even Liberals are Big Fans of Oil Subsidies

But since the Federal government gets a cut off the top for all GAS sold in this country that accounts for BILLIONS of dollars per year.

And as of yet that is no universal solar tax that generates that same revenue stream so that the current government can demagogue, and then spends that cash on creating a new energy 'cartel'.

And then again the outright lies since more alternative energy manufacturing has been outsourced to countries like China.

Made for a great shill line in the SOTU though.

Push a technology that depends on the climate to work, and the 'climate is changing' !

Don't you love the political hype of what ''better off we are today' ?

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Kind of depressing on some level...regardless of the president in office why can't these companies get ahead? Is this to somehow reinforce that, oil, coal, gas and hydro is the only way to go? Or is it simply the government is throwing caution to the wind allowing and boob to start up some green company?

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

chrismarco
reply to post by neo96

Kind of depressing on some level...regardless of the president in office why can't these companies get ahead? Is this to somehow reinforce that, oil, coal, gas and hydro is the only way to go? Or is it simply the government is throwing caution to the wind allowing and boob to start up some green company?

The way to go IMO is to let the 'boob's' fund themselves instead of us, and if, and when they fail the tab is on them, and not us.

When the technology matures, and is ready the people will buy it.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

Kind of depressing on some level...regardless of the president in office why can't these companies get ahead?

The answer is:
China.
Chinese companies can make solar panels and sell them at a lower price than American companies can.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I wouldn't be opposed to high schools receiving funding to explore this area of technology. Why wait until they get into college..

I wish I had a technical component to my high school other than automotive....

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

chrismarco
reply to post by neo96

I wouldn't be opposed to high schools receiving funding to explore this area of technology. Why wait until they get into college..

I wish I had a technical component to my high school other than automotive....

I would be simple fact alternative energy is just about as old as civilization itself.

Hell solar itself a spin off from the NASA era.

Which makes that already over 60 years.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Jimmy Carter had a solar panel installed on the White House back in the late 1970's. When Reagan took office, Nancy found the panel to be unsightly and had it removed. We could and should have much more electricity coming from solar and will in the future.

I think it is time to bring back the White House solar panels!

link   

butcherguy

Kind of depressing on some level...regardless of the president in office why can't these companies get ahead?

The answer is:
China.
Chinese companies can make solar panels and sell them at a lower price than American companies can.

Exactly

they were supposed to start building solar panels in Idaho but then this happened

www.nytimes.com...

link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I get that China produce cheaper solar but I see little to no solar panels in my area...In my town you cannot get solar panels on your house due to so some crazy regulation.

Not long ago I a company who would essentially install the panels for free however I would still be paying for electricity but at a cheaper rate and they would obviously harness what ever was not used by the consumer...a few more catches but the reality is not every town allows them.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Our combustion engine has been around for ever and the principle has stayed the same...I think the trick is to get people thinking at a younger age that you can build a better mousetrap..

With more and more companies failing in this arena less and less people will be interested...

The reality is people just don't want solar bad enough...

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Wow...big change. I guess we aren't too serious about it yet. If we got five percent from Solar, and thirty percent from wind and water, we would be doing all right. It's pretty hard to run a big factory on solar or even wind and water derived energy, those plants suck up a lot.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Not sure about all of it, but I can cite some anecdotal stuff. A natural gas supplier near where I live put in a solar farm, I'm guessing that a tax incentive was behind it, but anyway... since we have had snow a few times in the last couple of weeks and frigid weather, the panels have been covered with snow. Not soaking up a lot of sunlight like that.

Then there is a local school district that incorporated photovoltaic panels into the roof design when they remodeled a middle school. The system was installed a couple of years ago and has produced nothing. When they put them on line, the cables burned up due to an issue with the electrical insulation and the whole deal is still in litigation. No one will admit fault and get it fixed.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I'm just not sold on the wind power...a few in my area and they are seldom spinning, even on a windy day...and they look god awful in a populated area...

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

chrismarco
reply to post by neo96

Our combustion engine has been around for ever and the principle has stayed the same...I think the trick is to get people thinking at a younger age that you can build a better mousetrap..

With more and more companies failing in this arena less and less people will be interested...

The reality is people just don't want solar bad enough...

This is true fossil fuels have been around for over 100 years, and it's being cheap is what lead to the current technological progress of the world.

No other 'fuel' source even alternative for the same amount of time delivered the power for the cost.

And as it stands right now all alternative is still made by, and delivered by fossil fuel usage.

Because alternative doesn't supply current energy demands.
edit on 30-1-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I remember hearing his line during the SOTU address: "Every four minutes a household in America goes solar."

I commented on it in the thread following along with the address. I'd sure like to know where he came up with that number. That's an awful lot of solar panels and I certainly haven't seen, well....any.

Maybe he meant that every 4 minutes a household is hit by the sun's rays...just during the daylight hours, of course.

Sometimes I pray that he is just a compulsive liar and not so completely out-of-touch with reality. The latter seems scarier to me. The lies I can sift through, if I choose - the other...

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

kalunom
I remember hearing his line during the SOTU address: "Every four minutes a household in America goes solar."

I commented on it in the thread following along with the address. I'd sure like to know where he came up with that number. That's an awful lot of solar panels and I certainly haven't seen, well....any.

Maybe he meant that every 4 minutes a household is hit by the sun's rays...just during the daylight hours, of course.

Sometimes I pray that he is just a compulsive liar and not so completely out-of-touch with reality. The latter seems scarier to me. The lies I can sift through, if I choose - the other...

I just did the math ( I welcome any corrections, along with cats, I do not like math).

According to the 2012 US Census, there are 115,226,802 households in the United States.
60 minutes in an hour, multiplied by 24 hours in a day, times 365 days in a year gives you 525,600 minutes in a year. Divide by four to get the number of households switched over per year.... 131,400.

Dividing 115,226,802 by 131,400 gives you the number of years it would take to switch the entire nation over......

876 years.

edit on bu312014-01-30T13:38:25-06:0001America/ChicagoThu, 30 Jan 2014 13:38:25 -06001u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Thank you for doing the math! So, 131,400 households per year doesn't sound quite as far-fetched as one household every four minutes. Of course, Obama would call it "impressive" and not far-fetched.

Amazing the effect of switching around a few numbers has on the psyche.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

kalunom

Thank you for doing the math! So, 131,400 households per year doesn't sound quite as far-fetched as one household every four minutes. Of course, Obama would call it "impressive" and not far-fetched.

Amazing the effect of switching around a few numbers has on the psyche.

Indeed!
If he had said this... 'If we continue with current rates, we will have every household in the nation converted to solar in

876 YEARS

It doesn't sound too impressive.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

chrismarco
reply to post by rickymouse

I'm just not sold on the wind power...a few in my area and they are seldom spinning, even on a windy day...and they look god awful in a populated area...

I was watching a news report on TV during a tornado and the tornado grabbed the prop off the windmill and they were flying around. I don't know if those should be put in areas that are prone to tornadoes and hurricanes. I've thought about getting one, but even a small one would be prone to lightning strikes. I know a guy who has a small one, it is wizzing all the time. He said he paid for it in about a year. It is on a pole on side his shop. It cancels out his shop bill consistently. He says he even makes a little profit on it half the time.

new topics

top topics

join