It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Little help with this Moon Photo?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   

onebigmonkey
Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but it's an Alan Bean painting:

www.astronautcentral.com...

Recognised the style as soon as I saw it.

Thank you..

I had a thought it might be artwork but was unsure, so i just wanted to ask..

Good job ATS folk

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by onebigmonkey

Cue the sad trombone.

I'm glad the "mystery" was solved so quickly though. Y'all can imagine the rush of thoughts I had when I first saw the Florida training picture.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   

onebigmonkey

So Alan Bean is kind of cheating a little bit with this painting, using the Florida picture as a foundation, just putting the scene on the moon. Now we know one of his tricks. The painting was done in 1984, and is sincerely so seriously signed "Senator Schmitt Samples Subsurface Soil", secretly secondhand solarly-singed seashore sand. Solved!

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Aleister

onebigmonkey

So Alan Bean is kind of cheating a little bit with this painting, using the Florida picture as a foundation, just putting the scene on the moon. Now we know one of his tricks. The painting was done in 1984, and is sincerely so seriously signed "Senator Schmitt Samples Subsurface Soil", secretly secondhand solarly-singed seashore sand. Solved!

He quite often themes his paintings by combining different Apollo events, or depicting an event that is documented from a different angle.

He also usually puts an Apollo footprint in the photos, and mixes in moon dust (ingrained in material he brought back and was allowed to keep) with the paint.

I attended a presentation he did recently and he spent some time discussing how he made them.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   

onebigmonkey

Aleister

onebigmonkey

He quite often themes his paintings by combining different Apollo events, or depicting an event that is documented from a different angle.

He also usually puts an Apollo footprint in the photos, and mixes in moon dust (ingrained in material he brought back and was allowed to keep) with the paint.

I attended a presentation he did recently and he spent some time discussing how he made them.

In this one, at least, he combined an Earth event with a moon-based backdrop. I've known of his work, and his originals will hang in museums in hundreds of years (which he likely knows) as historic artifacts of mans first feeble trips into space. I recall that the moon dust he uses in his paintings was originally from a dusty patch from his spacesuit which he still has.

And his presentation you were at, isn't it fun meeting one of the original moon-walkers! In the past I've urged everyone here to take the opportunity to do so, and if not, at least call one of them up on the phone. That "counting coup" is something only people alive now will ever get to do.

edit on 31-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Aleister
I recall that the moon dust he uses in his paintings was originally from a dusty patch from his spacesuit which he still has.

That's right - you could almost feel the inward gasp of horror from the audience when he described how he cut that patch up

top topics

<< 1   >>

join