It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deciphering the Pagan Stones

page: 93
<< 90  91  92    94  95  96 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Wifibrains

Making the cauldron symbol just that, a symbol of regeneration and rebirth. If the crescent and V rod represents the quarter days as Log suggested, that could suggest that those were the most potent regenerative days - which they were, we think.

Let me dig out some more cauldron - grail? - stones for a look.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Hmm, hard not to see this as a grail!

With dog's head:

Incidentally, the one above reads 'the quarter days return, after the Kelpie send the floods.' Or the cycle of life continues. Good, eh?

A few to be going on with.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

We need to identify the cycles they were synching with and playing out in ritual. Are there cycles we are unawares of today?

A cross reference with the Phoenix, also a symbol of rebirth, rebirth rituals, and cross quarter (holy)days...

In Greek mythology, a phoenix or phenix (Greek: φοῖνιξ phoinix) is a long-lived bird that is cyclically regenerated or reborn. Associated with the sun, a phoenix obtains new life by arising from the ashes of its predecessor. The phoenix was subsequently adopted as a symbol in Early Christianity. While the phoenix typically dies by fire in most versions of the legend, there are less popular versions of the myth in which the mythical bird dies and simply decomposes before being born again.

The sun is reborn at the solstice, that much is obvious I would say.

Lughnasadh is mentioned in some of the earliest Irish literature and is believed to have pagan origins. The festival itself is named after the god Lugh. It involved great gatherings that included religious ceremonies, ritual athletic contests (most notably the Tailteann Games), feasting, matchmaking and trading. There were also visits to holy wells. According to folklorist Máire MacNeill, evidence shows that the religious rites included an offering of the first of the corn, a feast of the new food and of bilberries, the sacrifice of a bull and a ritual dance-play.

The Mithras sun king/god cults also sacrificed a bull. With the way that their religions and agriculture were overlaid and and synchronised it really should not be to hard to work out... Should it? Solstice is rebirth of the sun and the alignment with the new grange mound suggest the rebirth of a sun king ritual, but rebirth of the earth or nature (spring) is quarter of a year later, equinox.

What or who would be symbolised and synchronised as being reborn or sacrificed on the quarter days?... We are close I think.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

The "Old Scottish term days" corresponded approximately to the old Celtic quarter days:
Candlemas (2 February) (Imbolc)
Whitsunday (legislatively fixed for this purpose on 15 May) (Beltane)
Lammas (1 August) (Lughnasadh)
Martinmas (11 November). Samhain)
These were also the dates of the Quarter Days observed in northern England until the 18th century.[2]

Wiki Quarter days

Don't forget the bull stones at Burghead:

Burghead fort is the only Pictish fort where bullstones have been found. Thirty were found in the early 19th century but only six remain; two in the Headland Trust visitor centre, two in Elgin museum, one in the National museum in Edinburgh and one in London.

www.burghead.com...

What or who would be symbolised and synchronised as being reborn or sacrificed on the quarter days?... We are close I think.

Take Lughnasadh, because we know who Lugh is. Lugh of the long arm, whose weapon was a spear. Lugh is the grandson of Balor, one of the Formorians who arrived before the Tuatha. Balor was a giant with one eye, who wreaked destruction on the land. It was prophesised that he would be killed by his grandson and so he tried to kill all three as babies. One was saved by the druid priestess Birog, and was raised by Mannannan mac Lir (god of the sea) until he grew up, where he promptly killed the old man.

A giant with one burning eye could surely only represent the sun? In so many of these stories the theme is the same - the old will be killed and replaced by the new son (sun).

And what do you know? Balor of the evil eye was indeed a popular 'thing' back then...

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I'll do a new post because this is same but different.

Balor and his evil eye can be found around the celtic world.

Balkan Celts - evil eye pdf

In fact, recent evidence from archaeological sites in Bulga ria suggests that this particular kind of glass ‘evil eye’ charm has its origins not in the east, but in the west. In each case the aforementioned glass La Têne bracelets discovered at archaeological sites in Bulgaria (dating from the Late Iron Age – 3rd c . BC) have been found together with glass ‘Eye Beads’, which in turn have direct parallels from earlier Celtic sites across Europe. It should also be borne in mind that the Celts who settled in the Balkans during this period also established the Celtic state of Galatia in present day Turkey from 277 BC onwards (see main ‘Galatia’ article’) .

Modern Turkish evil eye bead:

See, now this makes me wonder ...

edit on 6-4-2015 by beansidhe because: eta

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I was wondering if due to the precession of the equinoxs if the quarter days as we know them today once fell on the solstice and equinox events.

I have a little theory about the sun kings and the rebirth regeneration rituals.

Many of the kings were said to have lived for hundreds of years... Suppose the king was a character like in a play... and different people assumed the role of that character over time, perhaps through a voting system or competition etc... While the people playing the character would come and go through rebirth/regeneration rituals the king/sungod character could survive for centuries, be reborn and resurrected. The character would be near immortal as long as its followers kept bringing him back to life!

The kings(characters) who turned out bad were sacrificed, discontinued. Ie, Not reborn/regenerated through rituals/belief...

The Hebrew words הֵילֵל בֶּן-שָׁחַר (Helel ben Shaḥar, "day-star, son of the morning") in Isaiah 14:12 are part of a prophetic vision against an oppressive king of Babylon. Jewish exegesis of Isaiah 14:12–15 took a humanistic approach by identifying the king of Babylon as Nebuchadnezzar II. Verse 20 says that this king of Babylon will not be "joined with them [all the kings of the nations] in burial, because thou hast destroyed thy land, thou hast slain thy people; the seed of evil-doers shall not be named for ever", but rather be cast out of the grave...

If they turned out good and served the people as expected ...

The Latin word lucifer is also used of Christ in the Easter Proclamation prayer to God regarding the paschal candle: Flammas eius lucifer matutinus inveniat: ille, inquam, lucifer, qui nescit occasum. Christus Filius tuus, qui, regressus ab inferis, humano generi serenus illuxit, et vivit et regnat in saecula saeculorum (May this flame be found still burning by the Morning Star: the one Morning Star who never sets, Christ your Son, who, coming back from death's domain, has shed his peaceful light on humanity, and lives and reigns for ever and ever).

edit on 6-4-2015 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

It's interesting that the evil eye amulet is used as protection from the the glare of a evil eye.

The evil eye is a curse believed to be cast by a malevolent glare, usually given to a person when they are unaware. Many cultures believe that receiving the evil eye will cause misfortune or injury. Talismans created to protect against the evil eye are also frequently called "evil eyes"

Is that like fighting fire with fire? Hehe

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Are you referring to Khamsa?

'The Hand (Khamsa), particularly the open right hand, is a sign of protection that also represents blessings, power and strength, and is seen as potent in deflecting the evil eye.'

en.m.wikipedia.org...

👣

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueMule

Nazar... But it's the same thing I guess...

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I was wondering if due to the precession of the equinoxs if the quarter days as we know them today once fell on the solstice and equinox events.

This is a nice way to think about it. The important days were cushioned by these markers, the season was of import, not the day alone.

The Celts believed major transitional days --- Solstices and Equinoxes --- should be enveloped by the time of year they signify, not stand for mere boundary markers! Celtic calendar keepers favored the Cross Quarters as bookends for every season under the sun.

archaeoastronomy/seasons

Which gives the wheel:

In fact, I wonder if that's what Mug Ruith's wheel alludes to? The wheel of the year, and he was somehow linkd to bringing in the seasons?

I have a little theory about the sun kings and the rebirth regeneration rituals. Many of the kings were said to have lived for hundreds of years... Suppose the king was a character like in a play... and different people assumed the role of that character over time, perhaps through a voting system or competition etc...

I think that's an excellent theory, and is just as plausible as father/son sharing the same name. King Duncan (for example) is a title, a role; not a name. It certainly makes sense.
edit on 9-4-2015 by beansidhe because: sp

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Well wiki has a interesting correlation if we just take out what applies to him and this theory...

Mug Ruith (or Mogh Roith, "slave of the wheel")...

...poets attributed the druid with extraordinary longevity (he lived through the reign of nineteen kings according to one story). His powers and long lifespan have led some to conclude he was a euhemerised sun

Lol.

I think that's an excellent theory, and is just as plausible as father/son sharing the same name. King Duncan (for example) is a title, a role; not a name...

...Nor a man, just a persona, actors mask, a job title?

I watched death race the other night, after I posted that. Jason stratham plays a role in the film in which his character assumes another role "frank" a driver who many have assumed to role of before him. He was chosen by the governess of the prison to be "frank" her number one driver, the car was even called the tomb stone... Haha. I

Kings back then could be killed and sacrificed, and not one man would need to be hurt in the process. The only death that occurred was the nessacery slaughter of the bull and the synchronised ritual death of the character(sunking) and the sun...

A sacred king, according to the systematic interpretation of mythology developed by Frazer in The Golden Bough (published 1890), was a king who represented a solar deity in a periodically re-enacted fertility rite. Frazer seized upon the notion of a substitute king and made him the keystone of his theory of a universal, pan-European, and indeed worldwide fertility myth, in which a consort for the Goddess was annually replaced. He came into being in the spring, reigned during the summer, and ritually died at harvest time, only to be reborn at the winter solstice to wax and rule again.

He wore a ox hide yes? The bulls were sacrificed, and there was a dark space between the death and the rebirth.(Go figure) As in Mithraism the spilling of the blood of the bull ensured the life of the people through this time (food). They appreciated the "life giving" not the "death" sacrifice which is why the animal was deified into the character and worshipped.
edit on 10-4-2015 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I was thinking about the competition, and sacrificing of bulls, and wearing a hide that symbolised being the sun god or king... I just thought of the Golden Fleece, yep Jason and the argonaught, so thought to take a looksee. Many renditions and adaptations... But there was this little gem riiiight at the beginning when it supposedly all started... Again.

Pindar employed the quest for the Golden Fleece in his Fourth Pythian Ode (written in 462 BC), though the fleece is not in the foreground. When Aeetes challenges Jason to yoke the fire-breathing bulls, the fleece is the prize: "Let the King do this, the captain of the ship! Let him do this, I say, and have for his own the immortal coverlet, the fleece, glowing with matted skeins of gold".

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
This i'm sure will explain a lot of what the pictures are about. The "stick men" figures are actually plasma discharges. This was caused by a very close conjunction between the planets above the ancient sky. This is also where the mythological versions of these planetary bodies got their fantastical stories that we're repeated all over the world, despite never being in contact with one another.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackhawk0044

Hi there, we theorised over this video and saturn a few pages back. Nice you see what I saw though.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

See Log! its not just me! Lol
edit on 11-4-2015 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Well Saturn could play big. So folks have speculated that Saturn was closer to earth at one time.....it had to be they say otherwise ancient folks wouldn't know about the rings.

Hay but I never said it was a bad idea!

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackhawk0044

This vid cover picture. Its a planet reflecting sun light and just notice how that light reflected makes a wheel.

"powerful gods ruled for a time and then went away".....Idea also found in Book of Enoch. The primeval gods taught man many things and then world catastrophic destruction.

To your last statement.....or all these cultures had contact with and mimicked, were colonies of a central well advanced culture. All of these stories about the gods and hero's, supermen ect were from the pre destruction era. The Sons of God interacting and breeding with human females, continual war.....fallen angles living on earth.

"their celestial habitat towered over the earth a model for temples and commemorative monuments of the earth" ....from vid.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Well let us just say for the sake of it and not that I have any issues with this guys conclusions, we do see, whatever else was carried over from the previous "age", the adaptation of the sun and moon as the center pieces in the new cosmology. And as this guy shows what he believes is the old cosmological phenomenon represented in art we see the new cosmology, sun and moon and much lesser planet signatures in the new era also represented in art and mythology.

Now taking the Pict stones in conjunction with sun and moon, seasons and their relationship with time measures and orbit ect its really not possible to conclude they represent anything practical or relevant but observations of time based on the sun and moon.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

Well Saturn could play big. So folks have speculated that Saturn was closer to earth at one time.....it had to be they say otherwise ancient folks wouldn't know about the rings.

Hay but I never said it was a bad idea!

I know, I was just tryin to coax you back into the discussion.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

Now taking the Pict stones in conjunction with sun and moon, seasons and their relationship with time measures and orbit ect its really not possible to conclude they represent anything practical or relevant but observations of time based on the sun and moon.

It could be there is more to the sun and the moon than time... If they were to represent energies, ie god/goddess, light/dark etc, the stones could highlight those energies as well as serve as a geological marker for the place. Similar to a shrine but not the object of worship but a sign post for a "otherworld" temenos perhaps.

"their celestial habitat towered over the earth a model for temples and commemorative monuments of the earth"
edit on 12-4-2015 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Well if this guys premise has any merit.....at some point folks looked up and these planets were moved back far away from the earth leaving only the sun and moon. So then we have the age of the sun worshipers and the development of the Sun and Moon stuff. The Solar Barge, the underworld, Thoth, ect.

Notice that he places the new developments, based on petroglyphs, after a major catastrophe that ended the golden age of Gods and men. Then the development of icons based on the conditions he mentions. Well we are still faced with answering how these planets went from sort of irregular orbital patterns to the stable paths they have today. What he doesn't point out is that all the major cosmologies 3000-2000 bc represent the heavenly orbs in their current situation.

The Maya for example, Venus, Egyptian, Venus.....its current setting and paths are observed. So if what he says is true then it was a reality that was transferred, transfixed onto modern, relatively speaking, iconography. The rest of it must have been preserved and passed down by a cult of priests because none of it has any demonstration today.

Maybe they believed that the Sun and Moon won the war and became to central sky gods.

new topics

top topics

<< 90  91  92    94  95  96 >>

join