It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deciphering the Pagan Stones

page: 78
<< 75  76  77    79  80  81 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe
a reply to: Logarock

Let me try and get this right. The Urnfield culture were the forefathers of the Hallstat culture. Your source says they were essentially proto-Etruscans, and in a sense proto Celts too.
This culture was THE place to be for metal production and work - the hub in the wheel, if you like. This gives (me at least) a very different perspective - cultures feel a bit less isolated, somehow, with a central commercial (?) ironworks.

Certainly worth travelling to. So the proto Etruscans and the proto -celts might have been as good as the same people? Or near enough.

He is simply pointing out that the Urnfield people were present in Italy at a time with and were present during whatever was going on at the proto stage. Apparently that's from an Italian archeologist and historian.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   

a reply to: Ramcheck

Ok, the double headed eagle could have a thread of it's own really, there is little consensus as to it's meaning. Known to the Hittites, Babylonians, Chaldeans -it is truly ancient.

Lagash, oldest known example and apparently was a city emblem, at the gate of. Without getting into the meaning.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Aztlan2545

Hi, Zazzafrazz is talking about your stones...over on this page (click link)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

It's also, strangely, the emblem of Perth splat bang in the middle of Pictland. Again, no one's sure why.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Now here's a thing.
In 2011 a celtic 'stonehenge' burial mound was found in the Black Forest, Germany by researchers at Römisch-GermanischesPress Zentralmuseum in Mainz (MAINZ??).

The order of the burials around the central royal tomb fits exactly with the sky constellations of the Northern hemisphere...
Whereas Stonehenge was orientated towards the sun, the more then 100 meter width burial mound of Magdalenenberg was focused towards the moon. The builders positioned long rows of wooden posts in the burial mound to be able to focus on the Lunar Standstills. These Lunar Standstills happen every 18,6 year and were the ‘corner stones’ of the Celtic calendar.

The position of the burials at Magdeleneberg represents a constellation pattern which can be seen between Midwinter and Midsummer. With the help of special computer programs, Dr. Allard Mees, researcher at the Römisch-Germanischen Zentralmuseum, could reconstruct the position of the sky constellations in the early Celtic period and following from that those which were visible at Midsummer. This archaeo-astronomic research resulted in a date of Midsummer 618 BC, which makes it the earliest and most complete example of a Celtic calendar focused on the moon.

Archaeology News Network

So now we know which constellations were definitely known of in 618 BC (is it just me, or is that exciting?!) and secondly, that the summer/winter solstices were important dates.
Can any one read German? What is the name of the constellation at 9 o'clock, just behind Delphinus? It seems to have a Z in it. Just a thought...

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I think the constellations are as follows, from 12 o'clock:

Draco (dragon)
Ursa major (great bear)
Coma Berenices (Bernices' hair)
Bootes (Herdsman/Hu Gadarn)
Corona Borealis (Northern Crown)
Serpens (Serpent) (or bit of scorpio/Afanc)
Hercules (Helith?)
Lyra (the lyre)
Cygnus (the swan)
Delphinus (dolphin)
Cepheus (the King)
Cassiopeia (the Queen)

Constellations of Words

Under a Celtic Sky

edit on 23-6-2014 by beansidhe because: sp

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   

It's also, strangely, the emblem of Perth splat bang in the middle of Pictland. Again, no one's sure why.

You probably posted that but could you do it once more?

By the way I feel like I have abandoned you. But fear not!

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Oh, thanks Log! We've been doing this for so long, I can't expect everyone to keep it up indefinitely every single day! I'm mulling things over at the moment, wondering how all the bits fit together and wondering about some loose ends. Just keep checking in, though!

Here is the emblem of Perth:

edit on 26-6-2014 by beansidhe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Some interesting connections which may be something or nothing.

Three of the above constellations have equivalents in the Welsh Mabinogi: the Corona Borealis (Caer Arianrhod /Fort of Arianrod), Lyra (Arthur's Harp/David's Harp) and Cassiopeia (Court/House of Don).

Welsh constellations

Don was essentially a mother goddess figure, mother to Arianrhod amongst others. She may have been the equivalent of the Irish Dan's as in the Tuatha de Danaan -folk of the Dans. Back to Dan links again.
Aberdeen, as we know, has two main rivers the Dee and the Don. This Dannishness just doesn't go away.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Mmm.
According to some sources, Encyclopaedia Brittanica included, the House of Don and the House of Lyr were constantly at war:

Llyr, in Celtic mythology, leader of one of two warring families of gods; according to one interpretation, the Children of Llyr were the powers of darkness, constantly in conflict with the Children of Dôn, the powers of light. In Welsh tradition, Llyr and his son Manawydan, like the Irish gods Lir and Manannán, were associated with the sea.

The forces of darkness versus light sounds very like the summer/winter cycle so popular in these stories. Where Dan/Don is the 'light'.

Hearing of Matholwch’s maltreatment of Branwen, Brân and Manawydan led an expedition to avenge her. Brân was killed in the subsequent war, which left only seven survivors, among them Manawydan and Pryderi, son of Pwyll.

Bran was Lyr's (dark/winter) son i.e. summer 'defeats' winter and comes back. The seven survivors must be the Pleiades, if we're thinking astronomically.

wiki pleiades

To the Bronze Age people of Europe, such as the Celts (and probably considerably earlier), the Pleiades were associated with mourning and with funerals, since at that time in history, on the cross-quarter day[dubious – discuss] between the autumn equinox and the winter solstice (see Samhain, also Halloween or All Souls Day), which was a festival devoted to the remembrance of the dead, the cluster rose in the eastern sky as the sun's light faded in the evening. It was from this acronychal rising that the Pleiades became associated with tears and mourning.

Pleiades then are the 'leftover' stars that rise in winter.
edit on 26-6-2014 by beansidhe because: Added pleiades info

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Oh, thanks Log! We've been doing this for so long, I can't expect everyone to keep it up indefinitely every single day! I'm mulling things over at the moment, wondering how all the bits fit together and wondering about some loose ends. Just keep checking in, though!

Here is the emblem of Perth:

What needs to be determined is if the use of this bird represents concept or a blood line that follows itself all the way back to la la land.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Mmm.

Pleiades then are the 'leftover' stars that rise in winter.

Pleiades big in Hebrew world. Twice, in Hebrew literature, their God claims to be the maker of Pleiades.

It is indicated by the prophet Amos that the Pleiades were important to the Hebrews so much so that he, repeating what God said, points out who made these stars i.e. however they venerated them they shouldn't forget, because they had, who the maker was. My point is that these folks held Pleiades as primary importance otherwise the admonition wouldn't have had much effect as a point of communication.

Another of the prophets points out how the sun, moon and stars had become all important to the Hebrews. They were indeed at some point big time worshipers of the heavenly bodies on the level with the surrounding cultures. The prophet, speaking for God, mocks them, asking them to consult the stars as the judgment comes form He who made them.

They are also criticized for how much they had fallen in love with the Syrian/Assyrians. They are likened to whores that cannot be satiated by the horse sized, figuratively, Syrian love tools. They are warned that their lovers would turn on them. I bring this up to point out the degree of Syrian/Assyrian icons on the Pict stones.

My opinion to this point is that the Pictish kingdom, the folks that commissioned the stones, can be followed back to one of the tribal Hebrew clan leader families probably Gad.

According to tradition, Gad was born (and died) on the tenth day of this month, Cheshvan (Shemos Rabba 1: 5). He was named Gad by Leah, who had been Zilpah's mistress. "Gad" means Mazal Tav, "good luck" (Rashi). According to another opinion (Ibn Ezra), "Gad" means a "troop" (as Gedud), and this is what Leah meant when she said Ba Gad-for her sons now made up a whole "troop" (Gen. 3 0:11) .

At the time when Jacob and his family of seventy souls came to live in Egypt, Gad was the father of seven sons. When our Patriarch Jacob blessed his sons before his death (Gen. 49:19), he prophesied that the tribe of Gad will provide brave troops who will lead the children of Israel to victory in the conquest of the Promised Land, then return to their inheritance on the eastern side of the Jordan.

Moshe Rabbenu, when blessing the Tribes before his death, likened Gad to a lion. This was an allusion to the mighty warriors of this tribe who will strike down Israel's enemies. He also prophesied that in Gad's portion would be hidden his (Moshe's) grave (Dent. 33:20-21).

The tribes of Gad and Reuven faithfully carried out their pledge. When most of the land of Canaan had been conquered, Joshua confirmed their inheritance in Transjordan, and set the borders of the lands given to these tribes. Gad received the area of Jazer, a substantial part of Gilead, part of the land of Amon and of the kingdoms of Sihon and Og, bordering on the Sea of Kinnereth in the north (Joshua 13 :24-2 8).

High praise indeed.....

During the years of Philistine invasions, especially in the early reign of King Saul, before he was able to muster a fighting force to repel the invaders, many Jews crossed the Jordan to seek refuge in the land of Gad and in Gilead (I Sam. 13:7). Some of the mighty warriors of Gad joined David when he was a fugitive from Saul's jealousy yet was fighting his own successful battles against the Philistines. The Gadites were described as "men of valor, men of war fit for the battle, who could handle shield and buckler, whose faces were like the faces of lions and were swift as the barts upon the mountains . . . captains of the host; the least of them commanded a hundred men and the greatest, a thousand" (I Chron. 12:8-14).

Gad

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

What needs to be determined is if the use of this bird represents concept or a blood line that follows itself all the way back to la la land.

A bloodline is interesting, and very much in keeping with the link Gordi posted a while back. It shouldn't be too hard to track (famous last words...).

Pleiades big in Hebrew world. Twice, in Hebrew literature, their God claims to be the maker of Pleiades.

I shouldn't really be surprised by now, but I didn't expect so many similarities to be so obvious. I was thinking about the Tuatha de Danaan and the argument that they're named after the Goddess Danu, rather than tribe of Dan. But where does Goddess/mother Danu come from then, if not Dan? I haven't found an answer to that one yet.

You see this is just too much:

Gad received the area of Jazer, a substantial part of Gilead, part of the land of Amon and of the kingdoms of Sihon and Og, bordering on the Sea of Kinnereth in the north (Joshua 13 :24-2 8).

Because Tir Na nOg (land of the young) is the Otherworld realm of eternal beauty and youth, home to none other than -you've guessed it - the Tuatha de Danaan, over in Ireland...

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

...not forgetting our old friend Angus Og! (Aengus Óg)

...a member of the Tuatha Dé Danann and probably a god of love, youth and poetic inspiration.
( from wiki)

and am I waaaay off track when I think that "Gad" and "God" are strikingly similar? (especially when you say say Gad with an irish accent!! LOL)

Speaking of which - Say "BEER CAN" out loud in your best, poshest English accent.

(I've just taught you how to say "bacon" in Jamaican!! LOL)

PS- forgot to add that "sea of Kinneroth" reminded me of "Kinross" which happens to be in Perthshire! Dun Duun DUUUUHNNNN!!!! LOL
G
edit on 27-6-2014 by Gordi The Drummer because: i wanted to add a PS

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

Oh yes, Angus Og, I'd forgotten about him. Eegads was one of my grandmother's expressions, for when things were terrible, but not bad enough for blasphemy (Catholic).

Kinneroth is interesting - it sounds very Scottish, doesn't it? It says here that the word means 'harp' in Hebrew - I think Hebrew and Scots gaelic are incredibly similar.

Also much obliged for the Jamaican teaching - I'll use it should I visit!

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

You are most welcome! [bowing graciously]

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gordi The Drummer

and am I waaaay off track when I think that "Gad" and "God" are strikingly similar? (especially when you say say Gad with an irish accent!! LOL)

The word God may derive from Gad.

bibleanswerstand.org...

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gordi The Drummer

...not forgetting our old friend Angus Og! (Aengus Óg)

(I've just taught you how to say "bacon" in Jamaican!! LOL)

PS- forgot to add that "sea of Kinneroth" reminded me of "Kinross" which happens to be in Perthshire! Dun Duun DUUUUHNNNN!!!! LOL
G

For the love of....Gad....does it never end?

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   

A bloodline is interesting, and very much in keeping with the link Gordi posted a while back. It shouldn't be too hard to track (famous last words...).

I shouldn't really be surprised by now, but I didn't expect so many similarities to be so obvious. I was thinking about the Tuatha de Danaan and the argument that they're named after the Goddess Danu, rather than tribe of Dan. But where does Goddess/mother Danu come from then, if not Dan? I haven't found an answer to that one yet.

You see this is just too much:

Gad received the area of Jazer, a substantial part of Gilead, part of the land of Amon and of the kingdoms of Sihon and Og, bordering on the Sea of Kinnereth in the north (Joshua 13 :24-2 8).

Because Tir Na nOg (land of the young) is the Otherworld realm of eternal beauty and youth, home to none other than -you've guessed it - the Tuatha de Danaan, over in Ireland...

Just wow. Angus Og, Tir Na nOg. Just wow.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Some other notes.....when Hebrews go into Canaan Gad tribe are under the banner of Rubin who was first born. In Celtic Israelite study Rubin is generally accepted as the French Gallic people. French Scot connection.

Note how the Gadite warriors came to be leaders, officers in the Israelite core leading troops of all tribes. And how they came to the service of King David. Think scot black watch and the history of service to royals of other countries as guards, body guards and military trainers the scots can boast of.

Also read the prophecy of Gad, concerning the tribe...."Raiders will raid you but you will end up raiding them" ...Romans. Something like that. There are some others.

Plus the "arm" prophesy. Armstrong. The arm icon.

edit on 27-6-2014 by Logarock because: n

new topics

top topics

<< 75  76  77    79  80  81 >>

join