It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deciphering the Pagan Stones

page: 49
<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

PonderingSceptic

beansidhe
reply to post by PonderingSceptic

Princess Meda, from what little I can find about her, was the daughter of the Thracian King Cothelas. She married Philip II of Macedon, who had previously been married to Olympia, herself a princess of Epirus (an area around Greece/Albania) and mother of Alexander the Great.
The marriage , presumably, cemented relationships between Thrace and Macedonia? Meda herself would have become Alexander the Great's step-mother?

Epirus was important as alliance was needed. Thrace was important as a place of amphictyony with allies including Dacians, Getes, earlier with Troy (Ilion/Wilion, Wilusa) and more. Places beyond Danube were poorly known (Herodotus writes about it) to Greeks for a reason, they weren't allowed there. It likely changed and it may coincide with some of the old laws followed by Getes.
History about Princess Meda is not so widely known as most traces of it were erased from history. Claims come from Athenaios who writes, he knows it from Satyrus, which is disputed by Jordanes on the grounds, that she couldn't have accepted it in the first place. While at the same time all agree that Odessos goes from Cothelas (called by Greeks, while real name was likely Gudila) to Philip rather peacefully. Either way (despite opinions on marriage story) there were changes to amphictyony(-s) and archeology on large scale (widely outside The Area) from that point.

At around the same time period that the Romans were being attacked by the Celts, the Greeks were securing relations with Thrace via the marriage (willing or unwilling) of Princess Meda to the Greek Philip. From this point on, relations are altered, and the Greeks have greater access to these areas.
Hmmm.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Ramcheck
reply to post by beansidhe

Certainly gives good scope for building a wall the next time they ran into them.

A wall. It seems like such an anti-climax after centuries of bloodshed.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Yeah well, you have to put on a 1st century head to grasp the enormity of such a small project

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Ramcheck

See, now the Romans just seem like unreasonable neighbours to me, who can't be doing with any more 'nonsense'.
I'll need to shake that image of them.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Who could have imagined we'd have such hostile neighbours? Even 2000 years ago

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Wifibrains

I've had a read about toroidal fields and I'm not ashamed to admit they are way above my brain capacity. What are they?
And also, would one of these be useful in/near a toroidal field?

Tuning fork:

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Just saw that and laughed out loud. Lots.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I'm feeling...
kinda proud of my Celtic ancestors right now!
and
kinda... angry at the official history that's been accepted and handed down to me by one and all!
We need to get this thread "compiled" and put out there!
The truth will out!
LOL

Thank you so much! to all the contributors here. I'm getting so much closer to knowing who I am!!!

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

beansidhe
reply to post by Logarock

Let me see if I've got this right. Before the Etruscans, there were the Umbri, a Celtic clan, living in Italy and having over 300 cities; 300 being destroyed by the Etruscans - the Etruscans then going on to found Rome.
It is possible that these Umbri -a Celtic clan- were descendants of the Israeli king Omri, from the line of Judah. This is around 9th/10th c BC. Omri is said to have bought land and strengthened Samaria.

A couple of hundred years later, the Celtic Senones/Samnites booted out the Umbrians and established Sena Gallica. They then invaded Etruria leading to the Battle of Allia in 390 BC, a Roman defeat. Hence the Romans learned the art of war from the Celts.

Wow. And here's me thinking the Celts were raggedy bands of mercenaries, scratching out a living around the prosperous Mediterranean.

So the Romans had dealt with, and lost wars with, the Celtic tribes for centuries before they ever came to Britain. Ireland and Scotland were the Western edge, the last bastion of Celtic rule and safety from the sprawling Roman empire.

It looks like at one time the Senones, Samnites and the Umbrians all lived at the same time, eventually and with some differences between them lol, in Italy. Most maps only show the northern Senones as being Celtic but this is not the case. It looks like at one time most of Italy was Celtic. As well at this time the Celtic tribes controlled the Balkans just across the way there in Alba-nia land....just east of the Umbrians.

Yea the Umbrians separated the Samnites and the Senones.

You know as I set here, I realized there is a place in GB called North Umbria. Or remembered. Haven't even thought about making a connection yet. lol I am sure you guys saw that right off. That's Just down the road a spell from you guys.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Yeah if you take a glance at a Roman map of 'Britain' then you see a whole host of regional and town names 'named after' not necessarily related to, but linked only by their Roman / Biblical names, town and cities, regions and oh, even the main Islands themselves. Cast-offs of which we still use today. But the question is, as you know, what were they called before, and why?

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

beansidhe
reply to post by Wifibrains

I've had a read about toroidal fields and I'm not ashamed to admit they are way above my brain capacity. What are they?
And also, would one of these be useful in/near a toroidal field?

Tuning fork:

If personal toroidal fields can be attuned to other toroidal fields, much like electromagnetic feilds...

When an EM field (see electromagnetic tensor) is not varying in time, it may be seen as a purely electrical field or a purely magnetic field, or a mixture of both. However the general case of a static EM field with both electric and magnetic components present, is the case that appears to most observers. Observers who see only an electric or magnetic field component of a static EM field, have the other (electric or magnetic) component suppressed, due to the special case of the immobile state of the charges that produce the EM field in that case. In such cases the other component becomes manifest in other observer frames.

and it was a matter of frequency that was that difference between them, a tuning fork could well be useful.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I am not at all educated in the field of tuning forks. But could this possibly be an ancestor to the modern day Water Dowsing?

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

beansidhe
reply to post by PonderingSceptic

You are intriguing me with these stories, because this isn't readily available information in Scotland. I can dig about for it of course, and I certainly will now. I really appreciate your input here, this is an important part of the story.

There are numerous stories about events that might be related. Like this one:

"Upon the right of the Suebian Sea the Aestian nations reside, who use the same customs and attire with the Suebians; their language more resembles that of Britain." Tacitus, Germania 98AD

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Just one thing, I would have liked to have seem some more input from our history experts on ATS on this thread, perhaps a comparison of our Stone carvings to some they recognise from elsewhere? Or whatever. Maybe we covered it all ourselves, who knows? Still. Confirmation from a reliable source can save a lot of time.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Wow Ram. Have you even bothered to look at whats been presented on this thread or just being a smart azz?

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

I was being a smart azz last night yes. Apologies. I don't even know what I meant.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Logarock

Wow Ram. Have you even bothered to look at whats been presented on this thread or just being a smart azz?

You don't even know what you're talking about half the time though...

Why don't you make an apology to him?
It was very rude and unprofessional IMHO...

He was merely stating that he thought more well versed posters could have shown up.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Chillax man, s'all good.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Gordi The Drummer
I'm feeling...
kinda proud of my Celtic ancestors right now!
and
kinda... angry at the official history that's been accepted and handed down to me by one and all!
We need to get this thread "compiled" and put out there!
The truth will out!
LOL

Thank you so much! to all the contributors here. I'm getting so much closer to knowing who I am!!!

Two thing come to mind. Official Saxton history, the influence of German educational models on what is now the "English" speaking nations and the love and protection of the classical civilizations of Rome and Greece. Just about every time you read some history about contact between the Classical cultures and the Celts there are excuses or cover-ups made for Rome and/or the Celts are made to look like simple belligerent, pagan and superstitious.

edit on 16-4-2014 by Logarock because: n

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   

I hereby cite you with an azzbo

Seriously though, what we need to remember -and give ourselves some credit for, without getting all bigheaded an a that - is that, at this moment in time, to the best of my knowledge, this is the first in-depth, cross cultural investigation into the Pictish stones. Yes, there are other interpretations, focusing on individual stones or on individual symbols within a Scottish frame of reference but not an attempt to fully understand every stone, considering every possible external 'foreign' influence.
So although I can hear what you're saying, at this moment you, my friend, are the ATS expert

new topics

top topics

<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join