It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake Snow? -- Internet Hoax

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

just experimented with snow here in nj. It melted and reacted to flames as expected... melted to water.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Fake Snow!!! What will they think of next.

Holly jebus lebus mebus there are some crazy a things happening on planet earth eh! All unbeknownst to the majority of its inhabitants. It may start snowing up here tonight or the next few days, may try this experiment on it just to see. I demand real snow god damit, not that cheep fake ass snow they got there. I would feel totally cheated if it turns out to be fake snow.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Ah hell I knew this would be here.

I've seen this posted on social media... first from the chem trail people, and then it hit the liberty networks.

The amount of gullibility is ridiculous.

Someone makes a video trying to melt snow with a lighter with a predetermined theory, does ONE little experiment and some people took it as gospel. They took it for what it was without duplicating the experiment, and/or adding other heat sources to the experiment. Not to mention, no chemical testing done either. Just observations done by someone with a predetermined theory. at least that's how I saw it when it first came out.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Nah not really, like others have said, pick up the snow and make a little snow ball. All you would have to do is hold it in your hand and the heat from you hand would melt it. I didn't watch many vids but one lady made a snowball out of it compressing the snow crystals/mass density and all that jive them scientists were saying, and yes pretty much same results, it didn't melt.

The second vid in the OP first page I believe it was, I have actually tried melting snowballs with a lighter years and years ago, and yes they do melt, and fast, in fact even though I was wearing gloves there was leakage, bare handed regular snowballs like the lady made in the vid would melt pretty fast.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

I'm in Cincinnati and I tried it. I got the snow from my backyard where it wasn't exposed to any chemicals used for the roads or walk ways and the snow didn't melt at all. It left a black residue behind and it kind of smelled like burnt plastic. I tried it on ice cubes and they melted just fine without a residue.

Very, very strange.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Boy, oh boy....some of the comments i'm seeing are MIND-BOGGLING. Snow melts...and returns to it's liquid state. Some of the water will evaporate, under a fire, but you'll still have a puddle of water. As a matter of fact, that snow should have started melting, the moment it entered the house. Room temperature is enough to melt ice. Geesh.

Note to add: Ice cubes you see being used, in commercials or magazine adds are not real ice cubes. They're made of plastic. Why? Because the lighting would melt them.
edit on 31-1-2014 by WonderBoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I am really just guessing here, but I think this may not be due to people willingly throwing chemicals in water and bioengineering snow, but rather all the plastic that we throw away that accumulates as tiny particles in the water and soils.

Maybe when water evaporates, plastic joins up and eventually rain and snow are made out of plastic particles and this would explain why the snow doesn't react normally and why it blackens and smells like plastic.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Casuwall
I am really just guessing here, but I think this may not be due to people willingly throwing chemicals in water and bioengineering snow, but rather all the plastic that we throw away that accumulates as tiny particles in the water and soils.

Maybe when water evaporates, plastic joins up and eventually rain and snow are made out of plastic particles and this would explain why the snow doesn't react normally and why it blackens and smells like plastic.

Just my 2 cents.
Highly unlikely. Unless this video is fake, something aint right; and it has nothing to do with plastic. I wonder how many people understand the science behind CHEMISTRY? Conspiracy theories aside, do you know anything about mixing chemicals???? I mean, that's basic HIGH SCHOOL material. Why people think they can't be doing chemistry experiments, in an atmosphere filled with chemicals is beyond me. Water is made up of HYDROGEN and OXYGEN; and let's not talk about the other chemicals found in our atmosphere. Why has chemistry become such a conspiracy, when they taught us this stuff in their school system.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   
The smell comes from an incomplete burning of the lighter fluid .

It is real easy to test.

Take a lighter and a metallic kitchen spoon or butter knife and burn it the same way they did the snow. (from the side not top)

It will smell like burnt plastic. No snow necessary.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Grimpachi

It is real easy to test.

Take a lighter and a metallic kitchen spoon or butter knife and burn it the same way they did the snow. (from the side not top)

Explain to a guy, raised in a snowy environment, why didn't the snow MELT? It sat there, and didn't MELT. Fire can melt steel, according to our government; but snow, impossible? lol

I feel like EVERYTHING i was taught in high school, college and technical school, was all ONE BIG LIE. And they want me to pay back my school loans? LMFAO

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I'm in Colorado, and it's been snowing here lightly on and off for the past couple weeks. Just got some fresh snow tonight, so I put my lighter to it. It just melted, no black residue or funky plastic smell. It seems pretty normal to me. However, I wish I would have seen this thread last week cause we got the weird "pellet" type snow here last week and it looks like plastic pellets. (almost like styrofoam) It happens now and again. It doesn't look right though so I'm always a tad suspicious when it snows like that haha. I'll try to remember to put a flame to it next time.

ETA - Also, I did pack it into a dense snowball. No residue or plastic smell.
edit on 31-1-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Grimpachi

It is real easy to test.

Yeah that's what seems to be the case. Not really anything mystifying about it.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Been reading this site for years, but I joined just to post my findings when I tried this.
I just now tried this in GA with some snow from outside and a bic lighter, and it turned black and smelled like burning plastic. Then I tried it with a match, same thing. I wish I had an alcohol lamp to try. But I'm pretty sure there is something odd with the snow.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by WonderBoi

It has to do with the density and structure of snow crystals.

When burning the snowball some of the h2O is instantly absorbed back into the snowball but the majority is instantly vaporized.

The people in the vids were comparing snow to ice cubes. Obviously ice cubes hold far more H2O and are densely packed to where they cant absorb water. Snow is also a good insulator think of igloos. the air pockets are part of that insulation.

I checked and you can also test the lighter on a cube of ice and get the smell but you have to burn it from the side not the top.

Those who have snow right now can pack a snowball 5 times bigger than an ice cube then put each in a plate and let them naturally melt they can then see the difference in the amount of actual H2O each has.

Edit to add. If you go to page 4 of this thread there are plenty of posts explaining it.
edit on 31-1-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Here is an easy and simple answer to what your seeing...

Sorry not fake snow. It is caused by sublimation...

S: (n) sublimation ((chemistry) a change directly from the solid to the gaseous state without becoming liquid)

wordnetweb.princeton.edu...

Sorry if this has already been posted, just didn't have time to go through the whole thread right now.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Frank Dinkle
Simple physics

saw this here

www.youtube.com...

Taking into account the percentage of oxygen, I would think that it would then melt FAST. Oxygen is by far more easily heated than water; so the rate of melt and vapor would increase.

That said, the reason it turns black is because of the fuel burn in the lighter. Also, if the air is dry it can easily absorb the heated water, which would logically explain why there's no puddle.

I would like to see a video where the snow is left in a sealed container and left to melt. Like snow in a boot, it should leave water. The lighter could very well be heating the snow so quickly it's vaporizing and humidifying the dry air. The dryer the air, the less likely you will see steam.

I think it's just science myself, but it's still intriguing and I'd be curious to see others trying different things. If this is fake snow that doesn't melt then how will it be removed? Likely with the first rain when it dissolves. Soooooo, drop it in a measured container of hot water and see if the water lever increases; my guess is yes.
edit on 31-1-2014 by GenerationGap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by WonderBoi

I feel like EVERYTHING i was taught in high school, college and technical school, was all ONE BIG LIE. And they want me to pay back my school loans? LMFAO

Or could it be you just didn't pay attention in school..

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   

darrellabbott
Been reading this site for years, but I joined just to post my findings when I tried this.
I just now tried this in GA with some snow from outside and a bic lighter, and it turned black and smelled like burning plastic. Then I tried it with a match, same thing. I wish I had an alcohol lamp to try. But I'm pretty sure there is something odd with the snow.

Not really - it depends how you hold the lighter - seriously - see www.abovetopsecret.com...

And if you want to know WHY that is the case rread this

edit on 31-1-2014 by Aloysius the Gaul because: fix link

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Dont know if anyone has said this,

but if you put a lighter to snow, it DOES NOT drip water.

But its very weird that the snow turns black??

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   

ypperst
Dont know if anyone has said this,

but if you put a lighter to snow, it DOES NOT drip water.

But its very weird that the snow turns black??

It's not weird at all.
It's called carbon and it's deposited on the snow from the yellow lighter flame.

I can't believe this thread has gone on for so long!

Here's a pretty comprehensive and scientific explanation of what's going on.
www.metabunk.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join