It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake Snow? -- Internet Hoax

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I use BIC Lighters every day and Never Smell "Burning Plastic".

So if you folks really smell something, than something seems to be up.

Now that I think about it, I never smell my lighters fumes.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

muzzleflash
I use BIC Lighters every day and Never Smell "Burning Plastic".

So if you folks really smell something, than something seems to be up.

Now that I think about it, I never smell my lighters fumes.

Combustion is incomplete because the snow is interfering with it - so what you smell is the fumes of incomplete combustion - some unburned fuel, and some ancillary products that would probably not be formed in an uninterrupted flame.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
i watched the videos and put on my tinfoil hat..

hey, i think they're spraying us with some # too,
like the rest of you fine upstanding people

but i don't quite know what's going on here..

maybe that compacted ice still doesn't qualify as a solid..?
burn a lump of wood and we get normal fire
burn a handful of sawdust or talcum powder (dispersed into the air)
(and all that surface area is nullified) ..gone in a *poof*
/pause for elton john joke

..maybe that's why there was no water from the 'snow'?
in the same way burning dust/powder leaves nothing behind

for now, i'm going with that ..or chupacabra

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Currently it is snowing here. I just scooped up some snow and brought it in. I used my lighter and tried melting it, it did turn black and nothing dripped from it. If I let it melt in my hand, there was plenty of water in it. I am GUESSING the black is from the butane, I BELIEVE since snow is something like 80% empty air/space it evaporates quickly and also melts back into itself (wicks) rather than dropping. This MAY be just a kind of illusion, I don't know. Strange but it may have a logical explanation.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
You always wondered how snow is still there, after it is pretty warm for several days?
Same reason as in this videos.
Density.
Snow melts and directly freezes again at the coldr inside. Only the air is comming out first, rising the density of the snow. It will get smaller, but not melt as fast as you would expect it, since the core is still cold.
And snow turning black when you hold a lighter on it, is pretty common.
People that don't know that effect have never ever experienced snow in a cold enviroment.
When I see Americans behave as soon as they see a little snow and cold temperatures, I am literally laughin in front of my computer.
I don't want to insult you, but this is common knowledge, that snow does not melt as you expect it to melt when it is really really cold.
The energy you put into it with your lighter is just not enough to melt it right away.
I have tried this 20 years ago as a child and got the same result.

Btw. I am German, so I am used to cold weather, not as cold as Canada or Scandinavia, but pretty cold.
I have no temperature limit where this occurs, but I am pretty sure all lower than -10°C should do the trick.
The snow melts, but directly freezes again, but since the airbubbles are not longer there it appears to shrink. The density rises.
To the people that smell chemicals: hold your lighter to something unburnable and then smell on it. same smell. It is the fuel from the lighter.

Hope my English was ok to explain it
edit on 30-1-2014 by aLLeKs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

So the snow is interfering so much that it actually changes the flame to cold ?

Methinks more to this than meets the eye, it is like trying to believe jet fuel caused the towers to explode and act as if they had been burnt for years.

I can say that here, snow does NOT burn like in these videos.

Something is clearly different, and noticeable , JUST LIKE the CHEMTRAILS, errr CONTRAILS that people started noticing much more often, it is because something changed to cause more formation, and that something is being held out of the debate, just like here.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

ParasuvO

So the snow is interfering so much that it actually changes the flame to cold ?

How do you figure that??

If you something in the middle of a flame you interfere with the combustion - if it interferes enough you get incomplete combustion - you can try it with something like a candle and a spoon or something else that doesn't burn - you can get soot and smell just from passing it through the flame.

Methinks more to this than meets the eye, it is like trying to believe jet fuel caused the towers to explode and act as if they had been burnt for years.

I can say that here, snow does NOT burn like in these videos.

and since snow did not burn in those videos, you are quite right!

Something is clearly different, and noticeable , JUST LIKE the CHEMTRAILS, errr CONTRAILS that people started noticing much more often, it is because something changed to cause more formation, and that something is being held out of the debate, just like here.

The motto here is supposed to be deny ignorance, not demonstrate it!

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
If anyone else chooses to make a video, then I am with a few others that have mentioned placing it in a pan on the stove. Try melting it at variable temperatures starting with Low Heat up through to High Heat, of course note any odd odors (when is smell-o-vision officially hitting the market again?) ...I digress...

Please be so kind as to try a test using varying temperatures NOT from a direct flame. I would do my own test but alas Clearwater, FL didn't get the snow this year.

Looking forward to any videos as mentioned

edit on 1/30/2014 by UberL33t because: typos

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Hr2burn
Currently it is snowing here. I just scooped up some snow and brought it in. I used my lighter and tried melting it, it did turn black and nothing dripped from it. If I let it melt in my hand, there was plenty of water in it. I am GUESSING the black is from the butane, I BELIEVE since snow is something like 80% empty air/space it evaporates quickly and also melts back into itself (wicks) rather than dropping. This MAY be just a kind of illusion, I don't know. Strange but it may have a logical explanation.

And you are not the only person to find that - everyone who actually tries it finds eth same thing, as opposed those who say it must be something artificial because they don't know what they are talking about......

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

UberL33t
If anyone else chooses to make a video, then I am with a few others that have mentioned placing it in a pan on the stove. Try melting it at variable temperatures starting with Low Heat up through to High Heat, of course note any odd odors (when is smell-o-vision officially hitting the market again?) ...I digress...

Please try a test using varying temperatures NOT from a direct flame. I would do my own test but alas Clearwater, FL didn't get the snow this year.

Looking forward to any videos as mentioned

how about this one - it's a microwave

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

That's good enough for me...thanks for posting.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
found this video that gives a good demonstration of what is actually happening. As many have stated, the black residue and smell are the residue from the lighter fluid burning. He also melts some of the snow in a pot after showing that it doesn't appear to melt when the lighter is used.

Now, without having done any experiments myself, I can say that the snow we have where I live (Newfoundland, Canada) is much more wet and sticky than the snow shown in these videos. The snow in the videos looks very powdery and dry, so it is possile that any melting is absorbed very quickly by the remaining snow.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Butane' and unburnt fuel (black stuff on snowball) from a bic smells kinda like plastic......
90% air to10% water, to a hot flame.....quick evaporation.
Who's idea was it go burn snow with a bic lighter anyway??? Maybe people are surprised of the results because they have never tried to light snow with a lighter before......never been bored enough.

I am no scientist, but from a scientific standpoint these results seem normal... if you think about it.

I am a chemtrail believer all the way, but this looks like Snow just acting like good ol' snow to me.

Suppose we will get some snow here in NW Washington state tonight or tomorrow, I'll give it a try and post my findings.

edit on ThursdayThursday01pm2014-01-30T20:16:46-06:008Thu, 30 Jan 2014 20:16:46 -0600America/Chicago82014 by llmacgregor because: i am on a tablet.....and i put ”oil' snow" instead of "ol' snow"....

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Frank Dinkle

That's theorytically fine, But he held such long enough and his body heat still did not melt such and create a drip of water.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
EFFEN Good post WHAT IS THAT ???

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

steaming
reply to post by Frank Dinkle

That's theorytically fine, But he held such long enough and his body heat still did not melt such and create a drip of water.

And it doesn't because of the reasons already given - snow is 90% air (give or take) - most of any initial melt gets absorbed into the air part - wicked away like a sponge does.

It doesn't "drip" until that air is filled.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
METHANE - METHANE - METHANE

Come on folks, I've been screaming it from the roof tops. How much more weird sheet has to happen?

I'll say it again...METHANE!

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Sly1one

Apparently...up north (Michigan/Cleveland) the snow is acting pretty questionable...There are several of these videos circling around and I have a friend up north who confirmed this for me...he was a bit weirded out by it and I can see why as this is not like ANY snow I have ever seen...

Tested this where I am here in CO (snowed recently) and it doesn't do this...it melts and acts as expected leaving water behind...

Anyone else know whats up with this?

edit on 30-1-2014 by Sly1one because: (add more vids)

EDIT TO ADD VIDS:

edit on 30-1-2014 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

Great thread Sly! I just tried it in Charlotte, NC I get the same thing. NO MELT!!!! A little strange to say the least. Most of our snow is gone now, but I am telling everyone in the area to try it. They are getting the same result as well. Any chemists out there?

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

That just stinks.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

get a glass and hold the lighter really close to it like they did in the video... after a couple second you'll smell the same smell and you'll see some black accumulation.

edit - and the snow does melt! it in your hand, in sunlight, on the counter, and in the microwave like that video earlier
edit on 1/30/2014 by BrianESpilner because: left out a comment

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join