It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our next ride to space?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Cool video of Seirra Nevada Corp's (SNC) plan for the space shuttle replacement, the Dream Chaser. They hope to have an unmanned test flight to orbit in 2016:

Aviationist

Who can tell me what the airplane is with the super long wing span is at 1:48?

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Sammamishman
Cool video of Seirra Nevada Corp's (SNC) plan for the space shuttle replacement, the Dream Chaser. They hope to have an unmanned test flight to orbit in 2016:

Aviationist

Im sceptical of the dreamchaser. Unless its a SSTO Im sceptical of space planes. Im more hopefully for the Dragon Capsules and the CST-100 as capsules seem to be the safest and cheapest way to get people into orbit.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
That brief clip of the extra long wing.. is a drone. Runs on nuclear power. Fat fuselage. 2 propellers. Launches from a large cart. The tail wings point downward. I have it in my data base somewhere. If you Google map....you'll see its tail sticking out of a hanger..

Can't remember if its Boeing or Lockheed.

Gimme a bit I'll search for it. It was unveiled last summer..no buyers yet!

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Sammamishman

Aviationist

OK found it. It's the Boeing Phantom Eye. Its a whopper of a drone.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
BOEING PHANTOM EYE. its run on hydrogen not nuclear. That's your mystery plane at 1:48

edit on 29-1-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

Based at Edwards.

Edit: trying to link the BOEING PHANTOM EYE. But the linking is kicking my butt right now.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The Dreamcatcher looks cool, nice post

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigburgh

Thanks, I knew I'd seen it before but could put my finger on it.

I didn't realize it was so big till I found pics of people standing next to it.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Bigburgh
BOEING PHANTOM EYE. its run on hydrogen not nuclear. That's your mystery plane at 1:48

Based at Edwards.

Edit: trying to link the BOEING PHANTOM EYE. But the linking is kicking my butt right now.

I can't add any input as to the new space shuttle or vehicle. Just wanted to say thanks for finding out what the aircraft on the ground was. Didn't even know that thing had existed and what a size it is ! I want one

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
You guys are welcome.
sorry I couldn't link it...but there I see a nice pic. Thanks Sam

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
What pray tell is the mission for the Phantom eye
stealthy reconnaissance or long cruising range and time aloft?
It looks like the wings are designed for maximum lift and longevity of flight duration for spying on whatever is below it....
It reminds me of the" U2 propeller version.."..who will they use it on.........?

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

4 days aloft. 450 lb payload. My guess its suitable for un-manned AWAC missions/data interceptions..honestly I don't know. Can't imagine it could be used for explosive ordinances. Only recon.

Edit: hey Samm. Maybe start another thread on phantom eye. I know this thread was in 2 parts. But the dream chaser is the main story.
Sorry I feel I drowned out dream chaser..not my intention. I swear.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Not a problem, I kind of asked about it in the OP so it should be OK.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Sammamishman

Not a problem, I kind of asked about it in the OP so it should be OK.

OK then.

Phantom eye was stalled but appears the project was picked up again as of this month.
Has a ceiling of 65,000 ft. Can relay signals 400 nautical miles. Don't know if that includes satellite links. That's all I got. Lol

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Sammamishman

Wow, you gotta good eye. Stared and stared at that thing, and just can't place it ( that's unusual for me ). Looks like the ' wings ' are very narrow, possibly even tubular ( ? ) . A mock-up of some sort is just a guess. The T-38's provide some scale...

Lokked at Edwards, but suspect this area is in the ' white out ' zone . Very lazy photoretouching IMO. Can't see the major tarmac & hanger areas... but, Skunkworks is wide open ( with a very interesting airplane collection laying about - even a Canberra ). B1B and B-2 , probably mock-ups parked out back semipermanent.

Anyhoo, thanks for the post.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Sammamishman

Thanks, completely stumped me !

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Bazart

Sammamishman

Thanks, completely stumped me !

Lol..its rather a big Q-TIP with wings is it...only this Q-tip can take a photo of your pineal gland and read your thoughts...

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Still waiting for them to release the full footage of the crash they had a few months back, and of the resulting damage that occurred? Whilst this ship may be capable of carrying crew to the ISS what else can it be used for? seems too small to take much else like satellites into space for launch? And not big enough to carry as large a contingent of joyriders to make it financially viable?

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

I think that's pretty much it. I think they can turn it into a autonomous cargo hauler but ferrying personnel to LEO is it's primary job.
Also, that the two competing projects pretty much do the same things and are only able to ferry stuff back and forth to the ISS. I think maybe NASA is looking for a cheap way to get stuff to and from the ISS without relying on the Russians or creating some hugely expensive government run program.
Of the three I think this one has the most character, who doesn't love a baby shuttle?

edit on 30-1-2014 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Struggling to keep track here, just forgetting the large glider....

The aircraft in the OP looks too small to carry any decent load into space and doesnt the ISS have a limited life, almost unworthy of designing a specific craft for just now?

I still find it such a shame that we couldnt unite the world for a International Space Program, I know that weapon technology, aerodynamics, rockets, comms, radar, computing and all manner of things would all be advanced in making that possible which means access to everyone (so it wont happen).

But when everyone is a super power...no one is.

Its just shame we humans are the way we are (wrt war, selfishness, greed, power, etc.), or else, we might see even more amazing things!

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Sammamishman

So at really high altitudes, where the air is thinner and thermals probably finish being warmer than the non existent air - when does a long thin gliders wing design become inefficient?

Also, those engines seem a little bulky, if a glider can climb on warm air, why does it need two large turboprops? Surely just tow it behing a B52 or something and then it will have much more payload??

top topics

join