It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI Candidate Signals List

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

Hey JadeStar,

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!

Is there anyway we can get a list update? Would be interesting to see exactly where that star is and if any other info is known about it. (Kepler Data etc.)

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Specimen
Normally, I'm not one for Astronomical documentation, mainly cause I don't have the attention span for it.

What happens if any E.T civ. doesn't use the same frequencies that we use for communication. I mean the endurance and strength of radio signals could go for quite a ways. The odds of an E.t race blastin their own top 20 hits, or some diplomat extremists making some speech could be good, considering we did it.

However, any E.t that capable of interstellar travel with easy, would be using Ftl communications. We couldn't pick it up, or maybe even notice it. While they could pick any signal we sent.

Better off wishing on a shooting star.

Well from what I've read, the hydrogen band isn't the greatest band to signal on. Interstellar hydrogen absorbs the radio waves and diffuses the signal. You want something with minimal interference and maximum bandwidth - optical for instance. Optical SETI is relatively recent, and I haven't heard much from it.

IMHO, I think we should look towards SETA (bracewell probes) and optics - for laser and for megastructures/astroengineering. The Benford beacon stuff seems to have really caused some waves in the field, and at least once article that I read suggested we'd already run into transient radio bursts from where Benford suggested we look. I'm curious if anyone has recorded one of these, or is watching for them with amatuer equipment. Signal analysis would make for a fun hobby.
A kickstarter cubesat could do some nifty work.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Apso78
a reply to: JadeStar

Hey JadeStar,

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!

Is there anyway we can get a list update? Would be interesting to see exactly where that star is and if any other info is known about it. (Kepler Data etc.)

Hmmm... I'll see what I can do. It looked like they stopped putting them on the FTP.

It should be noted all Kepler planets are listened to by SETI. Check out www.setilive.org... where you can classify such signals. Perhaps you will help them find ET among the stars.
edit on 26-6-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Hi JadeStar,

And thanks for the suggestion, been on there the past few nights and classified a few satellites and GPS signals! Had a few mysterious ones from Kepler archive data oddly enough so great suggestion! :-)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join