It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Define evil

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

It is probably anyone doing any action that is unjust, but it might be anyone doing any unjust action and having pleasure in doing so.

It isn't only Christianity that has the rider of the white horse coming to bring justice.

Check this thread, you might find some answers there:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Thought Provoker

But every human needs a certain amount of selfishness to survive. I cannot just give away every bit of food I ever acquire to someone less fortunate. I'd starve. There is always a point where you have to put your needs above other people's needs. According to your definition, this means that the person needs to perform evil to survive.

You also said that rich people are evil because of their selfishness and greed as they horde wealth. What about Princess Diana? Is she evil? She was definitely wealthy, but she also used that wealth to spread goodwill throughout her lifetime. It seems like being rich is a poor judge of evil. The way wealth works is that it will accumulate somewhere. Are all inventors who get rich from providing some invention to humanity that vastly improves things also rich? Afterall they are hording wealth obtained through selling this invention.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

JokerThe1st

wow hold up, remove the word 'sin' from my answer and read it again, i used this word as in a biblical sense it translates as 'making a mistake' Christians and the bible in many cases have twisted its meaning in literal terms.
look a bit deeper before attacking the words i may decide to use

Attacking? I'm just asking some followup questions based on your original response. I'd hardly call that attacking. But ok, why is making a mistake evil? No one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes, sometimes they make the same mistake multiple times. History repeats itself, even locally among people.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

So what is evil? If Jesus rides down and starts smiting people left and right, what marks someone as evil? Would they have to be killers? Usurers? Racists? Slavers? Drug users? People who use swear words? Sure all of these things are bad, some more so than others, but these people aren't one dimensional. Sure someone could have killed someone else, but what if it was in self-defense, what about the rest of the person's actions throughout their life? If this person killed someone but spends the rest of their life donating to charity or helping their community? What about a drug dealer who uses his profits to build community centers or things like that.

What is evil?? Anything that’s not “good”?

I guess it varies depending on who you ask. I believe I’m able to spot evil but it’s a little hard to give anything but a broad definition.

The way evil is spread is through…

‘Fighting against evil’ is breaking that cycle…whatever that entails.

Religion itself is based on fear and control. Does that make religion evil? I don’t know.

Another issue I have is mental illness. Sociopaths (anti-social disorder) and psychopathy are now considered mental disorders, but these are two disorders that can cause people to do things that many consider evil. Same thing with schizophrenia. So are people with mental disorders that cannot help doing these things evil as well?

We can certainly define that person’s actions as “evil”.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
What is evil ... I think that evil, true evil, is pretty rare.

I think there are a lot of things that are wrong, sinful, unjust, bad, what have you, but that doesn't necessarily qualify them or people who engage in them to be evil.

I think true evil is rare the same way that true righteousness is rare. We can all think of people who do good things who are good people, but how many can you think of who are what you would call "righteous" ... good to the point where you remark on it, take note of it?

Now, if you can think of that one righteous person you hopefully have been lucky enough in your life to know, replace all their good traits with bad ones, hateful ones. And maybe it gives you some idea of what evil might look like in a fellow human being. Or maybe you don't have to because you've been unfortunate enough to actually know that kind of twisted, unfortunate kind of person.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Evil is denying the good that was done to you as if it never happened.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Krazysh0t
reply to post by Thought Provoker

But every human needs a certain amount of selfishness to survive.

That's the basis of original sin, as I mentioned. You cannot be a human being without providing for yourself, or you'll die. It's not our fault; hence, forgiveness. But if you hate doing it, you're resisting evil. All we can do is resist it or not; it can't be avoided entirely.

What about Princess Diana? Is she evil? She was definitely wealthy, but she also used that wealth to spread goodwill throughout her lifetime. It seems like being rich is a poor judge of evil.

Money is just a tool, like a hammer. It's how we use the tools we have available that matters. If you use your hammer to build a house for someone, you're doing good. If you use it to bash someone's skull in during a robbery, you're doing evil. If you keep your money to yourself for your own benefit alone, it's evil. If you donate some to Meals On Wheels, it's good. I can't say whether Lady Di was good or evil, but she seemed to be more the victim of evil than evil herself. But it's not that simple. If you donate to charity and make sure everyone knows it to make yourself look good, your motives are flawed. You're using your tools for your own benefit even if others benefit from it. Charity should be done out of the kindness of one's heart, without making a big deal out of it. So there's no telling whether Diana or Mother Theresa or Bill Gates are really, truly charitable or not. This is one of the reasons we're told "Judge not;" we have no way of truly knowing anyone's heart. That's how psychopaths avoid being lynched; they simply lie convincingly. Intent is the key, not actions, and there's no way to be absolutely sure about anyone's true intent even if you've known them all your life. It could all be deception... or not. Make sense?

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

reply to post by AfterInfinity

And what are all the sins? Is this like one of those contracts where there's more strings and drawbacks and conditions than there are benefits?

Google it.

The 7 deadly sins springs to mind.

Glut, greed, envy, hate etc

Wouldn't have a clue about the contracts.

Imagine a boss who knows your exact desires, gives you duties where those desires are experienced everyday. Holidays in paradise. That is the sort of contract that Yahushua gives.

Lucifer on the other hand, has a (string) chain around your neck where as a spirit you have to tempt as many mortals into sin everyday. If you don't comply, then you will endure some long hours in the mud (maggot filled) pits of Sheol where torturing yourself with many gadgets will not relieve yourself of the pain.

Been there, seen it happen in the company of a black goth dressed female witch who looked at me with a jagged smile cracking across her mouth as she listened to the screams.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Obama.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

ketsuko

True evil is deceptive and clever enough to not appear evil. It is much more prevalent than the naive mind can comprehend.

1 John 5:19..... We know that we are from God, and the whole world lies in the power of the evil one.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Justin Beiber

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   

So according to you and your definition of evil, Mother Teresa is currently burning in hell despite all the goodwill she performed during her lifetime?

If she had no faith in Jesus Christ (which i believe impossible) then yes, she is currently in Sheol (hell) awaiting Judgement Day.

Mt 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

As Jesus mentioned, only those who have faith in His name will find the path that will lead their spirit back into Heaven through the pearly gates.

If evil is the act of sinning, then please list all the sins then. Is drug use a sin? Drug dealing? Slavery? Racism? You may notice that all the things I just mentioned are acts considered wrong in modern society, but aren't specifically mentioned in the bible as sins. So if they aren't sins, is someone who does these things not evil?

Also not believing in God is considered a sin, yet the majority of the population of the world isn't Christian. Is an atheist who dedicates his whole life to helping his fellow man a sinner because he doesn't believe in God and therefore evil?

If a cave man got spaced out of his head whilst a natural bush fire rages through a opium poppy field, then that is not a sin.
If naughty cave man then uses some opium to seduce a woman for you know what then that would be classed as a sin.

The elite class hemp as a crime/sin because it shows peasants what evil scumbags they really are. Thats why they ban it.

The atheist will be judged by his deeds on Judgement Day. We all will.
However, his deeds will have to be amazing to be allowed to enter into Heaven.

A believer in Christ already has their name written into the Book of Life, before Judgement Day. Instant Pass.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Rapha

I am a mental health professional and I have a great interest in the paranormal... Schizophrenics and sociopaths are NOT possessed, perhaps there are some that are but in general no. You can say whatever prayer you want from here to eternity and it won't make a bit of difference.

In all my years there were 3 individuals that I encountered who when looked in the eye it was obvious to me at least that they were soulless. It's hard to explain, but it's something you'll just know when you see.

I've also come across those that were possessed. That you can tell by the way their eyes change. Again it's hard to describe but very apparent.

The saddest thing is that all my experiences I speak of are involving children. I used to think I had a firm grasp on the world and how it works, but the older I get and the more I experience I realize more and more how wrong I was. There's a WHOLE lot more going on around here than meets the eye. As I like to say... Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I somewhat disagree. Evil is deceptive, but the person being deceived is the person doing the evil or being led to it. You won't perceive it as evil, but it will appear evil to those on the outside who see clearly.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Rapha

What is the tipping point? How much of these sins do you have to do to become irredeemably evil and destined for hell? I can look at the seven deadly sins (by the way, hate isn't one of them) and seem them in just about anyone I meet.

Also, what about things like racism (promoted in the bible with the whole "God's chosen people thing"), slavery (also in the bible), drug use (they drink wine in the bible), or misogamy (the whole Catholic religion is built around this with original sin and all)? Are they all sins too? If so, what makes them sins? Actually to expand on that since you believe that the seven deadly sins are legitimate sins, who defines what a sin is? How do we know what is and isn't a sin? Some in this thread are saying that they are defined along morality. Well homosexuality is supposedly a sin, but who is that harming? Suicide is supposed to be the ultimate sin, again what is the moral wrongness of this act?

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Rapha

So according to you and your definition of evil, Mother Teresa is currently burning in hell despite all the goodwill she performed during her lifetime?

If she had no faith in Jesus Christ (which i believe impossible) then yes, she is currently in Sheol (hell) awaiting Judgement Day.

Mt 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

As Jesus mentioned, only those who have faith in His name will find the path that will lead their spirit back into Heaven through the pearly gates.

If evil is the act of sinning, then please list all the sins then. Is drug use a sin? Drug dealing? Slavery? Racism? You may notice that all the things I just mentioned are acts considered wrong in modern society, but aren't specifically mentioned in the bible as sins. So if they aren't sins, is someone who does these things not evil?

Also not believing in God is considered a sin, yet the majority of the population of the world isn't Christian. Is an atheist who dedicates his whole life to helping his fellow man a sinner because he doesn't believe in God and therefore evil?

If a cave man got spaced out of his head whilst a natural bush fire rages through a opium poppy field, then that is not a sin.
If naughty cave man then uses some opium to seduce a woman for you know what then that would be classed as a sin.

The elite class hemp as a crime/sin because it shows peasants what evil scumbags they really are. Thats why they ban it.

The atheist will be judged by his deeds on Judgement Day. We all will.
However, his deeds will have to be amazing to be allowed to enter into Heaven.

A believer in Christ already has their name written into the Book of Life, before Judgement Day. Instant Pass.

None of this makes sense. Mother Teresa is burning in hell despite her goodwill, using opium (a plant that grows naturally on this planet that God had to create) is wrong. Believers in Christ get instant passes? Hitler was a believer in Christ, he is in Heaven? Everything I just read here seems like you just defined evil to fit into your worldview. It contradicts itself (Mtoher Teresa who renounces her faith is burning, but an atheist can get into heaven with an absurd amount of good will), and is a TERRIBLE judge of character (all you have to do is believe in Jesus to get to heaven? I guess all those pedophile priests in the RCC are good to go still).

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

ketsuko

I think there are a lot of things that are wrong, sinful, unjust, bad, what have you, but that doesn't necessarily qualify them or people who engage in them to be evil.

I think true evil is rare the same way that true righteousness is rare. We can all think of people who do good things who are good people, but how many can you think of who are what you would call "righteous" ... good to the point where you remark on it, take note of it?

Now, if you can think of that one righteous person you hopefully have been lucky enough in your life to know, replace all their good traits with bad ones, hateful ones. And maybe it gives you some idea of what evil might look like in a fellow human being. Or maybe you don't have to because you've been unfortunate enough to actually know that kind of twisted, unfortunate kind of person.

So combining our discussion from the Jesus thread with this one, how does Jesus know when he rides down to smite all evil who to smite or not? If true evil is exceedingly rare, it seems like the smiting will be limited to very few places. Just like I asked to other posters in this thread, what makes someone irredeemably evil? There has to be a difference between this irredeemable evil and true evil, since if true evil is as rare as you suggest, Jesus would do next to nothing on his return. What is the difference?

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
It's interesting how many views there are on evil. Buddhists believe evil and good are like two sides of one coin, Hindus believe that evil is simply the karmic balance doling out the consequences of our actions, Satanists seem to hold a position similar to that of Buddhism, and Christians postulate that good and evil are polar opposite, easily distinguished, and invariably angled in service to one cause or another.

Thoughts?
edit on 29-1-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Krazysh0t
reply to post by Rapha

What is the tipping point? How much of these sins do you have to do to become irredeemably evil and destined for hell? I can look at the seven deadly sins (by the way, hate isn't one of them) and seem them in just about anyone I meet.

Also, what about things like racism (promoted in the bible with the whole "God's chosen people thing"), slavery (also in the bible), drug use (they drink wine in the bible), or misogamy (the whole Catholic religion is built around this with original sin and all)? Are they all sins too? If so, what makes them sins? Actually to expand on that since you believe that the seven deadly sins are legitimate sins, who defines what a sin is? How do we know what is and isn't a sin? Some in this thread are saying that they are defined along morality. Well homosexuality is supposedly a sin, but who is that harming? Suicide is supposed to be the ultimate sin, again what is the moral wrongness of this act?

To my understanding, sin is concerned primarily with how you treat yourself and your fellow human beings. Slavery and our notions of it are primarily shaped by colonial slavery. Slavery of Roman times was somewhat different and ran the gamut from slaves who were treated every bit as bad as colonial slaves could be to slaves who were quite wealthy and owned slaves in their own right. In fact, highly educated people could sell themselves into slavery with the hope of buying their way out and thus earning the Roman franchise for their posterity.

So to determine who much of a sin slavery in the Bible would have been, you need to study what slavery in those times would have been like and what types of slavery would have been available. Always understand a thing in the context it is being spoken of and not the context you understand it in. For that reason, I'm not calling Mohammad a pedophile as child marriage was a very common and culturally accepted practice in those times. In the context of the Koran and those days, he was not. Now, for those who wish to emulate him today, they are.

And as far evil ... well, one of the most powerful tools out there is sex. Now don't me wrong. Sex itself is not evil, but it is a powerful tool of temptation. People who wouldn't do anything wrong for almost any other reason will for sex. If it feels good, do it. Cheat, lie, steal, kill even ... for sex or because of sex. After all, where's the harm in it?

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Krazysh0t

ketsuko

So combining our discussion from the Jesus thread with this one, how does Jesus know when he rides down to smite all evil who to smite or not? If true evil is exceedingly rare, it seems like the smiting will be limited to very few places. Just like I asked to other posters in this thread, what makes someone irredeemably evil? There has to be a difference between this irredeemable evil and true evil, since if true evil is as rare as you suggest, Jesus would do next to nothing on his return. What is the difference?

Jesus is God. God knows how is with him and who isn't. If we go with the Book of Revelation, everyone left on earth at that time has either chosen to go with the Beast or not. Those who have not will either be dead at the Beast's order or a hunted remnant. Things are going to be pretty will divided up, either with Him or against Him.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join