It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York congressman threatens to throw reporter off balcony

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Realtruth

masqua
Grimm has apologized, which, of course, makes everything just peachy. The reporter has accepted the apology and decided both should 'move on'.

You bet he apologized because this is assault with intent.

And could land his butt in jail, which should have happened right there on the spot.
edit on 29-1-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

Ahh but that would require the reporter to press charges against Grimm. Now if the reporter did that, I wonder how many other politicians would talk to him then? Agreed that charges should've been pressed at the time but I can see why the reporter is probably very hesitant on that mark.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

xavi1000
And people are wondering why Republicans will dont have president in the next 20 years.

mark my words, your next president will be a republican.

its thier turn...

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Wouldn't you think CNN should be filing charges on behalf of their reporter?

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

He's a reporter, it's not his job to be physically strong or intimidating, but to do just what he did here, which is to ask those in power uncomfortable questions. If Grimm wasn't mentally prepared for the question then that speaks volumes about his judgement and shows the only job he's fit for is back as a grunt marine or bent cop, he should never have got in front of the camera if he had something to hide. Using threats of physical violence because of a mere question is just totally out of order.

You're thinking of this as some skinny kid shouting abuse at some aggro jock, way to totally misread the reality of the situation.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I would of laughed in his face and watched him rage.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   

I'm sorry but if I ever found myself in that position I would call his bluff in a heartbeat. Especially knowing the camera was running...he could get all agro and uppity in my face all he wants. My only response would be to re-ask the question while pointing out how he is obviously dodging the question and following up with the "why are you trying to dodge the question?" "what are you worried about...do you not want to tell your constituents the truth?". I would love to be physically attacked by a senator or congressman...not only would I have a chance to release my aggression, frustrations, and sheer anger where it belongs. Also having the benefit of it all being captured on camera...oh and the law suit and criminal charges I would press and push into the media for all to see. This fool must be one of the dumbest politicians on the hill!
reply to post by RickyD

It's too bad the young reporter didn't push his buttons. Maybe if he was a seasoned reporter with more years under his belt, he could of made this congressman do something he would have regretted. Who knows how far this guy would have went, considering his background in the FBI and the military. Now this congressman is apologizing. Not because of what he did, but because his threat received so much attention in the media. Now he knows his time in office may be coming to a close. Hopefully New Yorker's don't forget what kind of a brute this guy is if he runs for another term in office.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

Something else to think about with Grimm. This whole affair has taken the light off of the investigation into his campaign finances. Maybe he (Grimm) saw this as more of an opportunity then an issue of "momentary anger".

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I have two thoughts on this. The first is that one of the founders definitions for tyranny was that if certain things were legal for those in power, but not for the ordinary citizens. Seems we hit that mark here. Assault, intimidation, threat of bodily harm and there's no charges at all. I'm pretty sure if I rushed him and told him I was going to do his state a favor and drop him I would be in jail for at minimum the next 10 years.

The other thing is even more troubling. Going by the comments it seems this is routine. The press has to make agreements to not ask about certain issues, reporters frequently have these types of exchanges off camera, and there's no prosecution because it's career suicide to actually stand up to it, since no one else will give you an interview afterwards, even the company the reporter works for can't press charges because it will just create a boycott of that media outlet. How is that in any way, shape, or form a free press?

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Guyfriday

Just a few more things about New York Rep. Michael Grimm:
Today Allegretti doubled-down, accusing Grimm of further confusing matters by blaming his commanding officer and an army administrative mix-up on the error, instead of answering the fundamental question: why did Grimm pass out campaign photos of himself wearing the wrong ribbons?

Further on in the report;

Reached for comment, Grimm said, “It’s very simple. At the time that picture was taken, I was authorized to wear those ribbons. It wasn’t like I made an error. That is what I was rated…What is his assertion? That I should never use photos of myself in military uniform? That is absurd.”

Interesting. Why would he no longer be authorized to wear the ribbons? Was he reprimanded on duty and they were taken away from him? Is that why he blames his commanding officer? And an "army administrative mix-up"? I thought he was a Marine?

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

WeRpeons

For all we know there was an agreement that questions about the ALLEGATIONS would not be asked. At any rate it was a set up to discredit any criticism of Obamas speech. Just the press batting for the administration.

When was the last time you saw the press ask about allegations pending during an interview with one of their dem darlings? And a lot worse allegations than this guy is under right now.

Who is really the bully here? The reporter was engaging in passive aggressive type bullying. That type is far more prevalent in the press than hot heads that pop off.
reply to post by Logarock

First of all, there shouldn't have been an agreement. There shouldn't be any behind the scenes agreement when it come to a public official, period. To justify this congressman's actions and threat because of a broken agreement between this reporter and congressman, is showing your contempt for the reporter that this congressman couldn't get his licks against the presidents speech.

There were enough conservatives giving their criticisms of Obama's speech. I don't think missing one, would have made any difference. No public official has the right to lash out at a reporter when they're being question about their misconduct or criminal activity. This is exactly why our founding fathers wanted a free press. The press is what keeps our government in check and our citizens informed. This tough guy was simply caught off guard and didn't have a planned response.

You talk about the founders now and the rights of the press and all this.....like they never try to set up some easy mark for their own party azz covering ends. As if these guys are a bunch of monks in the press. Timing is everything.....like interviewing a republican under investigation for his opinion on the address is very clearly an attempt to smear opposition even if this guy had not popped off. If it was all about Obama then why bring up the investigation at all?

Like we are to expect some sort of founders original intent with the press out of bunch of tools.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

roadgravel
This is not the type of person to hold a seat in the US Congress. And people wonder why Congress rarely accomplishes anything worth while for the citizens country. High school should have ended years ago for this man.

Yea he forgot for a moment that its all a big soap opera now.

You want a good laugh at how someone reacts to the press watch Obamas self-righteous metro-sexual press chief. Now there is a guy that just chaffs and bristles under fire like a petulant snoot.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

WhiteAlice

Ahh but that would require the reporter to press charges against Grimm. Now if the reporter did that, I wonder how many other politicians would talk to him then? Agreed that charges should've been pressed at the time but I can see why the reporter is probably very hesitant on that mark.

What really concerns me with this episode is the lack of "Awareness".

Here is what I mean.

People are way to forgiving, dismissive, submissive and fail to see that this politicians mind is highly toxic, and unruly. When a man or woman has a negative, destructive mindset, it eventually permeates into his/her external world. This event is a classic example.

Let's hug and make up, is only for each persons self interest, yet the underlying cancer is still there.

People with mindsets like this do not belong in any type of office, let alone any authoritative position.

Unfortunately a good majority off our society is afflicted with this toxic mindset, so dismissing it is very easy to do, because acknowledgment would mean there actually is a problem with oneself.

Chaos in the mind, means chaos in the world.

edit on 30-1-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

I saw this on cnn yesterday.

Very disgusting.

Mark this man...he must never win an election again.

He is drunk mad with power.

He is republican.

So is bridgegate governor chris Christie.

So is coke congressman Trey Radel.

So is Georgia governor Deal who is being made to eat crow today.

This is what they do when they're not grandstanding to block the path to universal healthcare and the minimum wage increase for americans.
edit on 30-1-2014 by reject because: (no reason given)

Did he mean "boy" in a racial way? omfg

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
What I find odd his his line "I'll break you like a little boy".

I can honestly say that if I were to tell someone I'm going to "Break them like...", "Little Boy" would probably be the LAST adjective and noun that pop into my head.

Freudian slip, maybe?

edit on 30-1-2014 by CaliMayh3m because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

You know, they call this The Empire state for a reason.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

In The State of Kentucky We Call That
TERROSTIC THREATNING

Wonder if He will get anything from those words
I'm betting NOT.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I'm not trying to be cute here, but. Suppose this was Florida, the reporter had a concealed gun, and shot and killed the congressman. Stand your ground?

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   

My only wish is that one day the media betray the governments and reveals all the bad things they have done. We need the medias on our side, theres already independent medias on the internet but I don't think that they will be able to keep going like this any longer, the governments will probably create laws about it and/or will jail them for terrorism.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   

pheonix358
So tell me. Turn the tables. What if the reporter threatened the Congressman. Would he still be walking around as a free person or would the SS, Homeland security, FBI etc ad infinitum, arrest him.

The answer to that question will tell you how free your country truly is, or is not, as the case may be.

P

First thing that came to my mind was the guy that got 2+, almost 3 years for the comments he made to his utility company and the outrage that caused
This guy was face to face with him, how he wasn't arrested that night I am still wondering. Should see a pretty big backlash on this I hope. With some felony charges or all faith in the justice system is gone for me.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   

masqua
Grimm has apologized, which, of course, makes everything just peachy. The reporter has accepted the apology and decided both should 'move on'.

O man isn't that just so nice?!
Always nice to see a victim getting strong armed by someone....
How can one accept an apology for something like that? And since when does that negate a violent threat?
As the other posted stated, if the shoes were flipped the reporter would not have gotten out of this without a couple right stripping felonies.
I feel like the reporter could have used this situation to at least get the answer to the question that he asked in the first place though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join