It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

internet is slow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   
i noticed during the last two or three weeks that my internet browsing is slow. meaning, web pages that use to load quickly now take a noticeably longer time. this is happening to all four computers i use. (Including a computer at work) talking to a few friends about it and they too are noticing a slowdown of web page loading. i'm in the United States maybe it's a regional thing?

so my question is:
are any of you having a similar experience?
if so did you find a source of the problem? a fix or work around?
just curious.
Thank you

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by subfab

Try running Malwarebytes and see if it comes up with anything.
Malware is notorious for putting a load on your internet connection.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by subfab

Have you run a speed test on your connection to see if it matches what you are supposed to be getting ?
Try speedtest.net or something similar.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Yea, both of the above.

Check your broadband speed.
If that checks out, run Maware bytes, CCleaner, Hitman Pro, if all else fails try disk defrag.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by subfab

try changing your DNS routers too. Use one of the public ones like 8.8.8.8 (Google) and see if you get a speedup. Sometimes the slowdown is local DNS.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Slow downs can be caused by many things but since this occurs at 2 locations the cause will more than likely be something upstream of your house, quite often slowdowns are caused by lack of maintenance so the fast link between a and b has gone down due to a digger ripping up the cable for example and the slower backup line has kicked in but due to everyone arguing about who's fault it is and possibly the work required to fix it as you may need to dig up roads etc which takes time nothing seems to get done for ages

might be worth asking your isp and your works techies to speak to their isp and find out if theres any problems that they know about

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by subfab

www.internettrafficreport.com...
This can give you an overview of the current network. While it's not perfect and I've noticed some places have been down for a long time.
www.pingtest.net...
This site can test the quality of your connection not just the speed.
Another useful tool is one that is only available to windows. It's called pathping. It's similiar to ping except it does a more thorough testing of each connecting point. This command has to be run through a windows command prompt. I would pick a website that you are having issues with, do a pathping to that address. (ex. pathping google.com) If you are able to do this from both locations that you are having an issue, you might be able to find a common point of failure.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by subfab

It most always you and something you are doing, viewing, stored cookies, apps etc.

Check 10 people in 10 locations on 10 computers and you'll see its never the internet is slow...not at all. Its pretty much the same most of the time around the world...in general.

If there is some common problems affecting the world wide web itself, then everyone, everywhere and in everyplace's internet connections would be slow.

Look at it this way. You've got to realize the speed is something at your end, home, office, link, PC, laptop, DSL, Hi-speed connections...whatever.

Its not the Internet as a "thing" going slow...its you and your end, house, pc, laptop, school whatever with something slowing your connection down.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by subfab

PS Ask some of your friends if their Internet connections are slow. I doubt they are. Its you.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

tried running speed test and this is the result:

6.48mb download
5.69mb upload

I don't know if this is good or bad because I have nothing to compare these values to.

I ran ccleaner and malwarebytes. no issues on either.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   

subfab
reply to post by gortex

tried running speed test and this is the result:

6.48mb download
5.69mb upload

I don't know if this is good or bad because I have nothing to compare these values to.

I ran ccleaner and malwarebytes. no issues on either.
while not brilliant speeds they are not that bad unless downloading movies for just general surfing they should refresh pretty quick

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Could be DNS issues resolving. You use the same internet connection for all computers you tested?

top topics

join