It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is a Hydrogen fed sustained nuclear fusion reaction possible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I haven't found any threads discusing Hydrogen fed sustianed thermonuclear reactions. Can anyone give out some links on the subject?
How could this type of reaction be contained? I've heard alot about electromagnetism , but doesn't heat affect magnetic feilds ? Correct me if i'm wrong about that . I'm trying to imagine just how a reaction might be fed , and contained .

I'm not pretending to know anything but why not some how use 3He to feed the reaction at least initaily as 3He+ 3He reaction gives = 4He + 1H + 1H thereby giving the reaction a chance to then have fusion again with the free 1H protons.

The problem that I am trying to understand is how this Might be possible , and if anyone has any ideas or opinions. I guess this isn't the right forum for that !

Lost_Shaman

[edit on 21-11-2004 by lost_shaman]

[edit on 22-11-2004 by lost_shaman]

[edit on 22-11-2004 by lost_shaman]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   
The high level of heat required to create this type of fusion makes it impossible to contain the components in any known material. It would melt through any material we can make.

However, plasma is a good conductor of electricity, which makes it possible to be held, guided and accelerated using magnetic fields. From what I have heard this is much harder to do then people first thought. I have heard it be described as trying to hold jelly with rubberbands.

Here are some links that be helpful on the subject

science.howstuffworks.com...

www.science.uwaterloo.ca...

new topics

join