It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientific Facts In The Bible

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePro

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? And, you know what, the same argument can be made, regarding abortion. When does human life begin???

Society's morality meter is way off. It's ok to rip a child out of a woman's body; but throw one in the garbage can, and suddenly you're the world's worst criminal.

Do you see WHY we need a set of rules we all can abide by??? Toooooo many "exceptions to the rules." How can a society live in balance, with that logic??? The house is DIVIDED. United we stand.....Divided we fall!

BTW: who you rootin' for Sunday....Peyton or Sherman????

See the division?????????

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   

WonderBoi
reply to post by ThePro

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? And, you know what, the same argument can be made, regarding abortion. When does human life begin???

Society's morality meter is way off. It's ok to rip a child out of a woman's body; but throw one in the garbage can, and suddenly you're the world's worst criminal.

Do you see WHY we need a set of rules we all can abide by??? Toooooo many "exceptions to the rules." How can a society live in balance, with that logic??? The house is DIVIDED. United we stand.....Divided we fall!

doctrine is besides the point, but i agree, in my opinion, it is the most important part of Christianity.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by WonderBoi

Ok just so u know I didn't get any of what u just said. I'm not trying to insult anyone. I'm simply expressing what I thought of the quote "fools say to themselves "there is no god".

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   

WonderBoi
reply to post by dragonridr

Ain't nobody asking you to believe. Believe how you please. But, some truths we can't escape.

You know what else. It's funny how "there is no god", when it comes to existence. I mean, since there is "no god", why are people on death row? Why are there "rules". Why do we condemn the murderer, if there is "no god". God only exists when justice needs to be served. Other than that, He's nothing more than a "fairy tale". Isn't that a weeeee bit HYPOCRITICAL?

Homosexuality is "OK"....but whore mongering is strictly prohibited. Rules only apply, when they fit your need. God only exists when it's time to punish someone else.

Morality needs no 'God' to exist. That is your mistake in this train of thought you tried to push.

Do you need God to tell you not to burn yourself on the stove? Does God have to whisper in your ear to tell you not to abuse a child? Do you need God to let you know it is wrong to steal? Would you do all of these things if you thought there was no God because you don't fear eternal punishment? If the answer to any of that is yes; then I hope your faith is never shaken in the slightest.

I look at people equally, whether you are Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Athiest, genius or not, no matter the color of your skin or where you originate from. You can follow organized religion or just believe in a higher power. You can believe whatever you want. But what I do find ridiculous is when someone tries to be snarky with responses thinking they are making points, including being condescending or acting oblivious to the meanings of well written responses even if they disagree with personal feelings.

When you act like someone needs God(s) to be decent to another human, it shows how primitive we are socially, emotionally, mentally. You equate us to nothing more than instinctual ... and actually lower on the empathy, intelligence, and though scale as just about every animal on the planet since we have seen them act in good faith towards each other and other species the more we've studied and documented them.

Please list, in one response ... ALL truths we cannot escape. Sum up everything you believe, in depth, so it can be debated and discussed in a structured manner. So far all I've seen is petty squabbles and hyperbole statements that seem they are meant more to get a rise than actually engage in intellectual banter.

Rules are there, as control. Just as religion has rules past the '10 commandments', similarly, as control. Control is a 'bad word' today; but to some extent, it is a good thing. You set those rules to control your children, like don't stick a fork in a light socket ... to protect them; or don't play ball in the house ... to protect your furniture and windows; to not hit someone ... to prevent them from hurting someone or them getting hurt, as well as teach them to solve issues with through discussion and compromising.

These are similar to our societal rules. We condemn a murderer to death row because they took someone else's life for a toxic reason. If you kill someone 'in cold blood', for fun, for profit, out of anger, etc ... outside defending yourself/family; you have violated that person's right to live and their family's right to live their lives with that person. Now, debating the validity of the death penalty vs a harsh prison cell and never paroled life sentence is a valid topic of morality ... but in the OT, eye for an eye God would say

Justice isn't about God, it is about people being treated fairly. It is about respect for your fellow human. It is about equality.

Your true colors now show; comparing homosexuality very clearly to 'whore mongering'. Now, if you want to talk about promiscuity, fine. I couldn't begin to count how many promiscuous heterosexual people I've met in my life. But that was not your intent; you wanted to equate two people who love each other and want to spend the rest of their lives in a monogamous relationship to people who sleep with anyone and nearly everyone they meet. That, is judgement, and something 'the creator' in the '$10 book' speaks out against, and his Son, the one who is the savior of every Christian explicitly speaks out against.

As far as 'God only exists when it's time for punishment' ... completely false. Punishing those who've violated others rights requires no God. We don't take them to church to serve their sentences.

The bit about Earth 'floating in space, nothingness' ... well, what about Mars then? Jupiter? the moon? They are all in an orbit due to forces that are measured and described in ... -science-.

What would you say of a hot air balloon? A blimp? They are just 'floating in space/air'. Science.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   

WonderBoi
I love this part

we've only discovered a few hundred or thousand of the trillions of planets in the universe,
How do you know there are TRILLIONS of planets?

Science, namely Astronomy gives us a good estimate.

How Many Planets Are In The Universe?

With at least 200 billion galaxies out there (and possibly even more), we’re very likely talking about a Universe filled with around 10^24 planets, or, for those of you who like it written out, around 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets in our observable Universe.

Great article by the way that talks about how they came up with this estimate and how we find planets in the galaxy. FYI, that number is a billion times higher than trillions. So the person you quoted was (vastly) underestimating the number of planets in our universe.

So far, science has proven WE ARE THE ONLY LIFE FORM IN THE UNIVERSE; until further notice. They have found ZERO life, other than on planet Earth. Until they PROVE there is life, on another planet, that fact remains the same!!! You can't assume there is life, somewhere out there. How far do they have to dig before realizing, Earth is it!

Well with an estimated 10^24 planets in the universe, I'd say that the odds are QUITE high that life exists outside of our planet. While yes we haven't discovered life elsewhere, it would be rather foolish to assume that we are alone in the universe. Can you even visualize the number 10^24? I certainly have trouble doing it and I'm pretty good at math.

It's just hard to believe that Earth floats, in mid-air. We are surrounded by SPACE. Complete emptiness! Has anyone ever wrapped their heads around that?

You are right, that is hard to believe, mostly because none of what you said is true. First off, Earth doesn't "float in mid-air," there is no air in space for Earth to "float" in. Second, Earth doesn't float, it travels in three different directions. Third, space isn't empty. Apparently YOU haven't wrapped your head around it, because you just casually mentioned three over-simplifications about our planet that are so over-simplified, they are basically untrue.

Why is it so hard to BELIEVE that Earth is a special place? Why can't people comprehend that??? God aside, you have to say: Yeah, it is!!!

Because nothing astronomy tells us about how the universe works suggests that Earth is a special place. We are completely insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Here a picture:

That is JUST our Milky Way galaxy. There are 100's of billions of additional galaxies.

The better question is, why do YOU believe that the Earth is a special place? What makes a random blue planet that in order to find in the universe you'd have to know EXACTLY where to look, special? Not to mention you'd better get there quick enough since it is moving. Because there is life on this planet? Well with the current estimated number of planets in the universe, I'd say that probability is on our side that finding extra-planetary life is inevitable. If you honestly believe we are alone in the universe and that God created a VAST universe solely for us, you are being intellectually dishonest.
edit on 31-1-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   

I love this part

we've only discovered a few hundred or thousand of the trillions of planets in the universe,
How do you know there are TRILLIONS of planets? So far, science has proven WE ARE THE ONLY LIFE FORM IN THE UNIVERSE; until further notice. They have found ZERO life, other than on planet Earth. Until they PROVE there is life, on another planet, that fact remains the same!!! You can't assume there is life, somewhere out there. How far do they have to dig before realizing, Earth is it!

It's just hard to believe that Earth floats, in mid-air. We are surrounded by SPACE. Complete emptiness! Has anyone ever wrapped their heads around that?

Why is it so hard to BELIEVE that Earth is a special place? Why can't people comprehend that??? God aside, you have to say: Yeah, it is!!!

Well, let's sit here and think about this for a second, shall we?

When it comes to Earth there are mainly 4 things that we really really need as far as life is concerned.

1. Water (Hydrogen and Oxygen)
2. Carbon
3. Our Oxygen/Nitrogen atmosphere.
4. A safe but close enough distance from a star in order to provide heat.

Now, four of the bigger elements needed for life on this planet (nitrogen, oxygen, hydrogen, and carbon) are actually very abundant in the universe. All four of them are within the top 10 for most abundant in the universe. Hydrogen is by far the most abundant and it's pretty obvious why seeing as how it only has one proton. And it's easy to find out why the other 3 are quite abundant, since they also are quite low on the periodic table in terms of mass and protons.

So there's plenty of ingredients out there in order to create life with. At least the way life on this planet came to be with. There are billions of galaxies, and inside of these galaxies, there are billions of stars and planets revolving around those stars. The probability may be small, but it is actually more than you think. Within our own galaxy it's been theorized that millions (about 500 million) of planets may have the right conditions to support life. And that is in just our own galaxy. Once you do the math you get a pretty staggering number on all of the potential life supporting planets in our universe. Too many to even bother adding up. And not even one other planet out there would be Earth-like? Not even one? Come on..

Look, Earth is great and all, it's what we call home. But as far as the universe is concerned, we are almost nothing in the grand mess of things. Calling us a speck of dust compared to the universe would be extremely and intensely exaggerated.

Also, from a Christian perspective, Earth cannot be the only place that supports life. You guys do believe in Heaven right? Life after life. So this would have to be some sort of realm/place where people live once again for eternity. Or so I have been told quite frequently. So claiming Earth is the only place where life is wouldn't even really be very accurate compared to Christian dogmas. Just looking for a bit of consistency is all.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

WonderBoi
reply to post by ThePro

Here again you fail to see the fallacy of your own argument Wonderboi.

Who makes the rules? Who decides what is morally right or wrong? Where do you draw the line on sensitive issues?

You continually make statements on ATS regarding the NWO/Globalists/Elite and how they are trying to control us etc. Yet here you are advocating a set of rules that "we all can abide by". You are talking about a system of universal control, just one that you deem acceptable. And these "set of rules" come from an archaic tome written by men who as far removed from your life geographically, temporally and cognitively as could be possible. You are advocating one set of rules, while a Muslim or a Buddhist would advocate another set.

For example, how literally should we abide by the written rules that you seem to think we should live by? Do I need to post you examples in the Bible where death is the prescribed punishment for something like being gay? What do you think of that? Look at fanatical Muslims and how some of them interpret their holy book.

Actually, an easy way for the NWO(or whoever) to control people like you would be for them to come out and say "right we're all going to follow the Bible OK?", and they can take it from there. Why don't you join some religious cult, you seem like prime fodder for that mindset.

edit on 31-1-2014 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

WonderBoi
So, i guess all the animals on this planet; and all the insects, flowers, trees, oceans, mountains, etc, etc, just "appeared". Everything we see on Earth is all by pure luck? There was no divine intervention? No creator??? All the stars in the sky, that form pictures, just magically arranged itself, to appear as such?

That's harder to believe than any story i've ever read in the Bible. Matter of fact, if you look at some of the stories in the Bible, they're not as "far-fetched", as one may think.

God just was and has always been?

The universe just happened or god made it all?

If god just happened then so could the universe just happen
edit on 31-1-2014 by BrianG because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

seabhac-rua

WonderBoi
reply to post by ThePro

Here again you fail to see the fallacy of your own argument Wonderboi.

Who makes the rules? Who decides what is morally right or wrong? Where do you draw the line on sensitive issues?

You continually make statements on ATS regarding the NWO/Globalists/Elite and how they are trying to control us etc. Yet here you are advocating a set of rules that "we all can abide by". You are talking about a system of universal control, just one that you deem acceptable. And these "set of rules" come from an archaic tome written by men who as far removed from your life geographically, temporally and cognitively as could be possible. You are advocating one set of rules, while a Muslim or a Buddhist would advocate another set.

For example, how literally should we abide by the written rules that you seem to think we should live by? Do I need to post you examples in the Bible where death is the prescribed punishment for something like being gay? What do you think of that? Look at fanatical Muslims and how some of them interpret their holy book.

Actually, an easy way for the NWO(or whoever) to control people like you would be for them to come out and say "right we're all going to follow the Bible OK?", and they can take it from there. Why don't you join some religious cult, you seem like prime fodder for that mindset.

edit on 31-1-2014 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)
I wonder if people read their own words? You answered your questions, in one brief statement:

Look at fanatical Muslims and how some of them interpret their holy book.
How many different "set of rules" does HUMANITY need? We have the Christians, Muslims, Jews, Catholics, Protestants, Baptists, Four Square, Jehovahs, Krisnas, Atheist, uuuuuuuuh, errrrrrr.

Let's look at the 10 commandments. NO! BETTER YET, Let's look at the 2 left us, instead.

Mark 12:30-31

30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”
Let me repeat that

30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”
Love the Lord YOUR God (that's a spiritual relationship, between you and something greater than yourself) and LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF. You probably don't even know your neighbor's name. But you sure know you some Osama Bin Laden. lmfao

I'm all for the last 2 laws the "fairy tale" named: Jesus, commanded us.

Just for fun: The United States has over 9,000 laws a citizen is supposed to abide by. The Bible, in all of it's "wickedness", has about 600 or so. Well, actually, just 2 laws. Do the math.

Why do people want to do things....the HARD WAY.

The law we should ALL abide by, is the law of LOVE. Can't even get that right. Sure do know how to hate, tho'.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Like most deluded people you don't even bother to try and understand what others say to you.

So now it's just the ten commandments we need to follow, and not any other stuff in the Bible? It's like you make this crap up as you go along. You really need some direction kid.

Like I said, what you need is to join a religious cult, you'd love it

Best of luck.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

seabhac-rua

Like most deluded people you don't even bother to try and understand what others say to you.

So now it's just the ten commandments we need to follow, and not any other stuff in the Bible? It's like you make this crap up as you go along. You really need some direction kid.

Like I said, what you need is to join a religious cult, you'd love it

Best of luck.
Try not to speed read. I never said we need to follow the 10 commandments. Funny how you conveniently missed what i actually said.

If you call LOVE a religion, then what cult are you promoting?

I'll let you in on a little secret.....not everyone that mentions the word: "Bible" is some kind of religious freak. Religion was formed by people that have never studied a drop of what they hate, so much. They go into the read, with a bad attitude, expecting to "get something" out of it. So, let's address that problem, first.

1 Corinthians 13:1-8

13 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails.
Not sure how you interpret God's word to be "religious". The only way that happens is because you've never sought truth. You're too busy being religious.

Just for the record: I don't care what god people serve; i just care about the way we treat EACH OTHER. Muslims and Christians are nothing more than people with labels. And, stop wasting your time trying to pull me into a religious argument. Believe how you want. It's none of my business. I didn't make this thread, with the idea of changing someone's mind. Spittin' "Christianity" in your face.

As a matter of fact, Christian's themselves got it wrong. They're too busy believing someone else's interpretation, instead of getting their own revelation.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
There is no science in scriptures, simple as that...

The scriptures are not teaching science.

reply to post by Krazysh0t

Nop Sh0t, whole universe was created just for us...

I find it fascinating that people don't get how insignificant we are in grand scale of universe.

Here is a bit about largest galaxy in universe, IC 1101

And just for info of those interested, just to count stars in galaxies that have 1 trillion stars: if you count 24 hours per day, 1 number per second - it will take: 31,688 years 32 days 1 hour 46 minutes 40 seconds.
edit on 31-1-2014 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Tell me, who put pen to paper and wrote those quotes you keep posting, did God?

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

SuperFrog
There is no science in scriptures, simple as that...

The scriptures are not teaching science.
I'm supposed to be impressed by a person with a degree, wearing a priest's uniform? hahhahahahahah You're gonna have to do better than that. You say there is "no science" in scriptures, simple as that....ey?

Hebrews 11:1-3

Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. 2 This is what the ancients were commended for. 3 By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

NanoTech

Nanotechnology (sometimes shortened to "nanotech") is the manipulation of matter on an atomic, molecular, and supramolecular scale. The earliest, widespread description of nanotechnology, referred to the particular technological goal of precisely manipulating atoms and molecules for fabrication of macroscale products, also now referred to as molecular nanotechnology.

The National Nanotechnology Initiative, defines nanotechnology as the manipulation of matter with at least one dimension sized from 1 to 100 nanometers
Science is confirming that the aforementioned statement is true! Next question???

Wanna talk wealth and prosperity, or continue with this "religious" conversation. All of life's answers can be found in the most popular "fairy tale" on the planet. You know what it all boils down to? One word: FAITH.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

boncho

I'm going to stop here because there's too much information to cover in one post, and i don't want to "bore you" with scientific facts; that were written about, thousands of years ago.

Weird. I didn't see any of those.

Trying to prove christianity with science one day, trying to say science is all garbage the next. I just don't get the deal with christians. Science shouldn't threaten their position, but they are either trying to usurp it for their own means or claim it has no merit, for their own means…

I don't get the deal with people who group people together by their religion. "Christians" vary in ideals and beliefs just as much as you.

Team Science! I'll always back the under dog

(i'm asking for it there. sorry)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

You have to be well delusional to believe that this statement confirms your earlier quote. Care to explain - how.

I am also well interested to hear who wrote those scriptures.

And yes, I trust that well educated priest more than any fundamentalist.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

How does the idea of nanotechnology confirm that God made things out of the invisible? Are you suggesting that God created the universe with nanotechnology? That seems a little odd, why would an all powerful being need technology to create things in the universe? Shouldn't he be able to just create it by willing it into existence?

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Division is a critical element in progress. Unity is all about conformity. You have no ideas when everyone thinks and feels the same way. There's no improvement because no one thinks any further than exactly that which society already knows. United you stand...and stand...and keep standing...while the rest of the world passes you by.
edit on 31-1-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

Division is a critical element in progress. Unity is all about conformity. You have no ideas when everyone thinks and feels the same way. There's no improvement because no one thinks any further than exactly that which society already knows. United you stand...and stand...and keep standing...while the rest of the world passes you by.
edit on 31-1-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)
The world can freely pass me by. Why should that be a concern to me? Do you think i'm missing something because i choose not to follow the sheeple? I assure you, i am missing nothing by doing things God's way, as compared to the world's way. That, you can believe.

What kills me the most, is the double thinking/double standard in this "world", you speak of. Murderers walk freely, around our planet (George Zimmerman) while drug dealers are facing 25 - life. As i watch the world pass me by, it's not a pretty picture i see. Not a picture i'd want to be a part of. That's for sure!!!

Enjoy your journey through that world.

John 15:18-19

18 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. 19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.
Some good stuff, in that book you call "religion". 1John 3:13

13 Do not be surprised, my brothers and sisters,[a] if the world hates you.
Let me know when you stumble upon some religious stuff. Matter of fact, there's a fairytale about that too.
Matt 23:1-12

Jesus, at this time, was thronged with pilgrims from all over Israel who had come to celebrate the Passover feast. Addressing Himself to them and to His own disciples, Jesus solemnly warned them concerning the scribes and Pharisees (cf. Mark 12:38-40; Lk 20:45-47). This discourse, as a whole, is found only in Matthew. Jesus began by acknowledging that they were seated in Moses’ seat. While not saying it in so many words, He implied that they were usurpers who were not truly successors of Moses. But nevertheless, their position must be recognized. Accordingly, He told them, “All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do” (23:3).

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

So did this thread stop being about science in the bible and start being about proselytizing?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join