It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientific Facts In The Bible

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
if you're really interested in the subject, i would just suggest picking up a copy of Isaac Asimov's guide to the Bible. I'm sure it's got all the scientific facts in it you'd ever need.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

Isaac's books are pretty cool.
How you been 'Jay', got some inspiring art coming out for the world to view soon?
Anyway 'long time no see'.
Stay fresh

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   

TheDualityExperience
reply to post by Jarring

Isaac's books are pretty cool.
How you been 'Jay', got some inspiring art coming out for the world to view soon?
Anyway 'long time no see'.
Stay fresh

I don't read a lot, but I love this guy. He keeps me interested.
As for the art, I haven't really been working on much lately, I should be doing some soon though.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I'm new to posting. I would just like to say it is refreshing to see someone actually applying thought in a meaningful way. I have a very large interest in scientific pursuits and also have read the Bible all my life. I can say that there are many scientific facts in the Bible. The book of Job clearly describes the hydrological cycle (not fully understood until the 19th century), the destruction of the dinosaurs and the description of them, the placement of the planet earth and its suspension on nothing, etc. The book of Colossions also describes the fact that through Jesus all things are made and that through him all things hold together. Then you see a picture of Laminin (cellular adhesion molecule) and it takes the form of a cross. As a contrary point, many things championed by anti-Bible scolars(?) can not possibly be proven(evolution, etc.). The human body is the most complex machine moving through the most complex, perfectly balanced ecosystem. If one thing is added to the wrong place or taken out then everything goes crazy. (Nutria in Louisiana, take plants away life dies, etc). Also it considers its beginning, and surroundings and is aware. Scientists still trying to make that one happen(AI). The very elements of life reeks of design. If in the future, all men were dead and some alien race was to come down and find the remains of our civilization, not one would question if it was random. Those house are not rock formations, they were designed. The way you know is they share common characteristics. It is because someone made them all using the same blueprint, not because that just happens that way. There are variations of course, but the shared characteristics of many of the life forms on the planet give it away clearly for all who would think to look for it. It is not hidden, it is in plain sight. What is going on today goes deeper than science. Don't let evil rob your life of its meaning. It is the most precious gift one can receive, from One who clearly loves more than we understand.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by pleasethink

Welcome to ATS Pleasethink! I really hope you enjoy your time here!

That's quite the wall of words for a first post!

One question occurs to me though: if everything that is must have a Designer to exist, and God exists, then Who designed God?

Many thanks in advance for your response.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
That is a great question, in a sense. It all is based on perception. As a finite being, I think of all things in terms of beginnings and ends, because I have a beginning and an end. It is therefore difficult to comprehend something that has neither. I have wrestled with the same question and that is the answer that my father lead me to. I don't know if that is satisfactory or not. It is also kind of a perception thing when one considers time. Would there be a thing called time to us if we never died?

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Also, I don't know if everything that is needs a designer, I just know that the elements presented to me through my desire to learn have lead me to the conclusion that design is present. And I forget to thank for the warm welcome. Thanks in return.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   

pleasethink
That is a great question, in a sense. It all is based on perception. As a finite being, I think of all things in terms of beginnings and ends, because I have a beginning and an end. It is therefore difficult to comprehend something that has neither. I have wrestled with the same question and that is the answer that my father lead me to. I don't know if that is satisfactory or not. It is also kind of a perception thing when one considers time. Would there be a thing called time to us if we never died?

What a delightful answer pleasethink! Thank you so much for not repeating typical belief-based BS but something that reflects your (clearly evident) actual thought and consideration of the subject!

I would respond by saying that if a "being" were infinite in scope ... that is according to your description, infinite in time (being eternal with no beginning and no ending) ... then that "being" bears no resemblance to anything we humans have ever experienced. There is nothing that we know of that is outside of the effects of time. We can imagine what that might be like, and describe our imagination, but, that yields no real proof, no concrete reality, no measurable quantity or quality. It's like imagining Superman who can fly through outer space and into the sun ... I can imagine that quite clearly, and I've even seen it in comic books, but does Superman, therefore, really "exist?"

Yes and no. In my own paradigm, I would say that Superman exists SUBJECTIVELY rather than OBJECTIVELY which many would claim is mere semantics.

At any rate, welcome. You may have to toughen up a bit in the future here, as many will challenge your posted thoughts to the limits of endurance. You seem honest to me, however, which counts for a lot. Best.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   

pleasethink
Also, I don't know if everything that is needs a designer, I just know that the elements presented to me through my desire to learn have lead me to the conclusion that design is present. And I forget to thank for the warm welcome. Thanks in return.

Imagine if each of us (humans/whatevers) were made up of trillions/gasquillions of self aware molecules that we (Individually) are the designers for.
Wouldnt that be a trip. Might explain multiple personalities and the fact people question their own free will.
I dunno just throwing this out there

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I would also say that time itself only exists in the way an inch or a foot exists. It is not a actual "thing", but a system of measurement brought on by our own understanding of life. I here many people describing it in physics as if it was an actual thing. My beliefs are also brought on by analysis and application. Taking myself out of the equation so to speak. Looking from outside the box. If in fact this universe were random, then laws would not exist. The laws themselves give away the design element. Random things do not possess laws, as they are random. Thats why they are random. If they possessed laws then we need to start calling them something else. Its kind of like the "Freedom isn't free" statement I hear a lot of people saying after 9-11. This to me was an infinitely interesting confirmation of the whole 2+2=5 way of thinking. If freedom isn't free, than it by definition is not freedom. Therefore a need to call it something else arises. But anyway, intelligent discourse is appreciated. And I would not disparage anyone for thinking a certain way. Just trying to call it like I see it. Try an overlay of the golden spiral against any one of the galaxies. Pretty triply stuff. Don't know about multiple personality disorders except that most of the time it is trauma based.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   

WonderBoi
So, i guess all the animals on this planet; and all the insects, flowers, trees, oceans, mountains, etc, etc, just "appeared". Everything we see on Earth is all by pure luck? There was no divine intervention? No creator??? All the stars in the sky, that form pictures, just magically arranged itself, to appear as such?

That's harder to believe than any story i've ever read in the Bible. Matter of fact, if you look at some of the stories in the Bible, they're not as "far-fetched", as one may think.

Well when you sit down and think about it, saying that a god created everything is actually more confusing and harder to explain.

It's hard enough trying to explain how something can come from nothing. But saying that something came from nothing, and then turned around and created something out of nothing ends up getting overly complicated. And by that same train of thought, you'd think that that same 'nothing' could create even more out of nothing that the nothing just created. You'd just go down an even bigger rabbit hole where answers would be harder to find.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Also another interesting thing, it says in the Bible that God spoke the world into existence. It also says that he made us in his image. When I speak, my vocal cords vibrate producing sound. Thus speech is a form of vibration. It is becoming more understood that all things have fingerprint like vibrational frequencies. This is what scientists today are playing around with causing all types of mischief. Tesla showed that by tuning into these vibrational frequencies, he can do some interesting things. It also says in the Bible that all creation sings out to Him. It was recently posted on this website the many vibrational frequencies of different planets translated to audible sound. I saw this post in it occurred that this is confirmatory of a book that was written by farmers/slaves/fisherman about 7000 to 2000 years ago. One of the most scientific(and to me meaningful existence-wise) books of the Bible is Job. People are finding out today that it possibly predates Moses and Solomon. The more you peer into the rabbit hole so to speak, the more it becomes clear that whatever is at work here is far greater than I am, and I am mindful of this fact. One of the most profound things is the way God himself identified himself. He said "Tell them I Am sent me to you". For some reason it brought tears to my eyes.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   

the universe is specifically tweaked to enable life on earth

I find this premise to be, in a word, stupid.
99.9999999999999999999999999% of the universe will kill people instantly.
Even much of our planet is completely hostile to human life. When you add up all the oceans, the poles, and deserts, that's probably 2/3 of our own planet that is uninhabitable by us, so how is that 'fine tuning" the universe for us?

Not to mention we've only discovered a few hundred or thousand of the trillions of planets in the universe, so how the hell can you claim that the universe is designed just for us to live on this planet?

And didn't they say Mars had water and may have been habitable in the past? So how can you say the universe is designed just to support life on earth?

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   

CB328

the universe is specifically tweaked to enable life on earth

I find this premise to be, in a word, stupid.
99.9999999999999999999999999% of the universe will kill people instantly.
Even much of our planet is completely hostile to human life. When you add up all the oceans, the poles, and deserts, that's probably 2/3 of our own planet that is uninhabitable by us, so how is that 'fine tuning" the universe for us?

Not to mention we've only discovered a few hundred or thousand of the trillions of planets in the universe, so how the hell can you claim that the universe is designed just for us to live on this planet?

And didn't they say Mars had water and may have been habitable in the past? So how can you say the universe is designed just to support life on earth?
I love this part

we've only discovered a few hundred or thousand of the trillions of planets in the universe,
How do you know there are TRILLIONS of planets? So far, science has proven WE ARE THE ONLY LIFE FORM IN THE UNIVERSE; until further notice. They have found ZERO life, other than on planet Earth. Until they PROVE there is life, on another planet, that fact remains the same!!! You can't assume there is life, somewhere out there. How far do they have to dig before realizing, Earth is it!

It's just hard to believe that Earth floats, in mid-air. We are surrounded by SPACE. Complete emptiness! Has anyone ever wrapped their heads around that?

Why is it so hard to BELIEVE that Earth is a special place? Why can't people comprehend that??? God aside, you have to say: Yeah, it is!!!

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by WonderBoi

I have a question why do you feel your beliefs need to be vindicated with science? See im afraid to say your argument is not logical so therefore proves nothing. You cant expect science to prove there is a god no more then you can use it to disprove god. See for thousands of years we used god to explain things we didnt know like what causes lightening rain or even the sun. Your trying to prove there id s god by playing something known as god of the gaps. Anything we dont know god did it. So the universe is fine tuned to support life well it would have to be or we wouldnt be here.Was there other attempts how many failures how many universes just cease to exist before even starting? Id argue its not as fine tuned as you would think however considering we recently found out the Higgs Boson is unstable for example. And eventually will destroy the entire universe not very stable and not conducive to life. But thats nether here nor there. Now ill tell you since i said your logic is flawed and the fact that we exist doesnt mean god did it. However along those same lines it also means he could have there is no way to answer this and i dont believe there will ever be proof of god. I think thats the reason they call it faith. So you started this thread to either argue or your questioning your faith and went looking for proof which is it?

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by WonderBoi

It's just hard to believe that Earth floats, in mid-air. We are surrounded by SPACE. Complete emptiness! Has anyone ever wrapped their heads around that?

You know you do keep me laughing so I keep reading your posts for these tidbits of comedy.

Anyway hey its great you have faith I wouldn't even try to shake it but faith isn't evidence. Embrace your faith except it for what it is but don't try to present it as proof or evidence because it isn't.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

Ain't nobody asking you to believe. Believe how you please. But, some truths we can't escape.

You know what else. It's funny how "there is no god", when it comes to existence. I mean, since there is "no god", why are people on death row? Why are there "rules". Why do we condemn the murderer, if there is "no god". God only exists when justice needs to be served. Other than that, He's nothing more than a "fairy tale". Isn't that a weeeee bit HYPOCRITICAL?

Homosexuality is "OK"....but whore mongering is strictly prohibited. Rules only apply, when they fit your need. God only exists when it's time to punish someone else.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   

WonderBoi
Psalm 14:1

Fools say to themselves, "There is no God." They are corrupt and commit evil deeds; not one of them practices what is good.

Anthropic Principle

Scientists are now finding that the universe in which we live is like a diamond studded Rolex, except the universe is even more precisely designed than the watch. In fact, the universe is specifically tweaked to enable life on earth. A Planet with scores of improbable and inter-dependent life- supporting conditions that make it a tiny oasis in a vast and hostile universe. The extent of the universe’s fine-tuning makes the Anthropic Principle perhaps the most powerful argument for the existence of God.

These highly precise and interdependent environmental conditions (which are called “Anthropic Constants” make up what is known as the “Anthropic Principle.” “Anthropic” comes from the Greek word that means “human” or “man”. The “Anthropic Principal” is just a fancy title for the mounting evidence that has many scientists believing that the universe is extremely fine-tuned (designed) to support human life here on earth.

It’s not that there are just a few broadly defined constants that may have resulted by chance. No, there are more than 100 very narrowly defined constants that strongly point to an intelligent Designer.

Astrophysicist Hugh Ross has calculated the probability that these and other constants (122 in all) would exist today for any planet in the universe by chance (I.e., without Divine design). Assuming there are (10 to the 22nd power) planets in the universe (a very large number: 1 with 22 zeros following it), his answer is shocking; one chance in 10 to the 138th power, that’s one chance in one with 138 zeros after it. There are only about 1070 atoms in the entire universe.

In effect, there's zero chance that any planet in the universe would have the life-supporting conditions we have, unless there is an intelligent Designer behind it all. Here are fifteen of them.

Physicist Paul Davies comments, “The conclusion must be that we live in a world of astronomical unlikelihood.”

Donald Page of Princeton’s Institute for Advanced Study has calculated that the odds against our universe randomly taking a form suitable for life is one out of 10 to the 124th power, a number beyond imagination.

Dr. Robin Collins states in The Case for a Creator, “Over the past thirty years or so, scientists have discovered that just about everything about the basic structure of the universe is balanced on a razor’s edge.” Over 35 different characteristics of the universe and its physical laws must be precisely fine-tuned for physical life to be possible. Following are six of those characteristics

Time and Space

Most people read the very first verse in the Bible, without giving it another thought. However a closer examination of this verse reveals that the author of Genesis verbalized exactly the same sophisticated principle that scientists use thousands of years later. Science expresses the universe in five terms: time, space, matter, power and motion. So does Genesis 1.

"In the beginning (time) God created (power) the Heaven (space) and the Earth (matter)... And the Spirit of God moved (motion) upon the face of the waters." [Genesis 1:1,3 … written some 3450 years ago

The Beginning

The word "beginning" refers specifically to the beginning of time. However, for many years scientists were convinced that the universe was infinite (without end), and that time had always existed. The COsmic Background Explorer (COBE), also referred to as Explorer 66, was a NASA space mission designed to test the Big Bang theory of the origin of the universe and apparently provided evidence that supported the idea that the universe had a beginning.

An Initial Void

A Time Magazine article dated Dec. 1976 said: “Most cosmologists… scientists who study the structure and evolution of the universe, agree that the biblical account of creation, in imagining an initial void, may be uncannily close to the truth.”

Expanding Universe

The prophet Isaiah who lived almost 3,000 years ago stated: "It is He that . . . stretches out the heavens as a curtain, and spreads them out as a tent to dwell in." [Isa. 40:22] Scientists are beginning to understand that the universe is expanding, or stretching out. At least seven times the Scriptures clearly tell us that God stretches out the heavens like a curtain.

I'm going to stop here because there's too much information to cover in one post, and i don't want to "bore you" with scientific facts; that were written about, thousands of years ago. All one has to do, is read that $10.00 novel, some call a "fairy tale"; and all questions will be answered!

Feel free to continue your study of science found in the Bible

Full Definition of SCIENCE
*knowledge about or study of the natural world based on facts learned through experiments and observation

*the state of knowing : knowledge as distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding
"Seek and ye will find.

Well I'm insulted by the first one. This simply isn't true. First of all there is no evidence to support "god", and to say that we are fools for not believing in "god" is madness. Let me ask something: who created god?

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
The amount of ignorance in this thread is way, way, way too high. I'm glad you got something to put your faith into wonderboi, I really am. Something that get's you up in the morning, day after day. And gives you hope that even though today might have just been terrible, tomorrow might be better. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Actually, that's a really amazing thing that something you put your faith into can make you feel that way. But after reading your so called "facts" and how you've replied to the other users in this forum.. Kind of hard to tell if you're trolling. You can seriously sit there with a straight face, and say, "God created this ENTIRE universe, just for us humans. We are the ONLY sentient beings out of the countless amount of galaxies that make up what we know as the universe." ?

"why are people on death row? Why are there "rules".

^ People are on death row because they committed crimes that were against the "law". Law's are here so that there can be order. People are on death row because they just raped and murdered an entire family. People are on death row because they walked into walmart and shot 17 people to death. People are on death row because it makes sense for them to be there. Your logic however, doesn't appear to have any sense whatsoever.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   

ThePro

WonderBoi
Psalm 14:1

Fools say to themselves, "There is no God." They are corrupt and commit evil deeds; not one of them practices what is good.

Anthropic Principle

Scientists are now finding that the universe in which we live is like a diamond studded Rolex, except the universe is even more precisely designed than the watch. In fact, the universe is specifically tweaked to enable life on earth. A Planet with scores of improbable and inter-dependent life- supporting conditions that make it a tiny oasis in a vast and hostile universe. The extent of the universe’s fine-tuning makes the Anthropic Principle perhaps the most powerful argument for the existence of God.

These highly precise and interdependent environmental conditions (which are called “Anthropic Constants” make up what is known as the “Anthropic Principle.” “Anthropic” comes from the Greek word that means “human” or “man”. The “Anthropic Principal” is just a fancy title for the mounting evidence that has many scientists believing that the universe is extremely fine-tuned (designed) to support human life here on earth.

It’s not that there are just a few broadly defined constants that may have resulted by chance. No, there are more than 100 very narrowly defined constants that strongly point to an intelligent Designer.

Astrophysicist Hugh Ross has calculated the probability that these and other constants (122 in all) would exist today for any planet in the universe by chance (I.e., without Divine design). Assuming there are (10 to the 22nd power) planets in the universe (a very large number: 1 with 22 zeros following it), his answer is shocking; one chance in 10 to the 138th power, that’s one chance in one with 138 zeros after it. There are only about 1070 atoms in the entire universe.

In effect, there's zero chance that any planet in the universe would have the life-supporting conditions we have, unless there is an intelligent Designer behind it all. Here are fifteen of them.

Physicist Paul Davies comments, “The conclusion must be that we live in a world of astronomical unlikelihood.”

Donald Page of Princeton’s Institute for Advanced Study has calculated that the odds against our universe randomly taking a form suitable for life is one out of 10 to the 124th power, a number beyond imagination.

Dr. Robin Collins states in The Case for a Creator, “Over the past thirty years or so, scientists have discovered that just about everything about the basic structure of the universe is balanced on a razor’s edge.” Over 35 different characteristics of the universe and its physical laws must be precisely fine-tuned for physical life to be possible. Following are six of those characteristics

Time and Space

Most people read the very first verse in the Bible, without giving it another thought. However a closer examination of this verse reveals that the author of Genesis verbalized exactly the same sophisticated principle that scientists use thousands of years later. Science expresses the universe in five terms: time, space, matter, power and motion. So does Genesis 1.

"In the beginning (time) God created (power) the Heaven (space) and the Earth (matter)... And the Spirit of God moved (motion) upon the face of the waters." [Genesis 1:1,3 … written some 3450 years ago

The Beginning

The word "beginning" refers specifically to the beginning of time. However, for many years scientists were convinced that the universe was infinite (without end), and that time had always existed. The COsmic Background Explorer (COBE), also referred to as Explorer 66, was a NASA space mission designed to test the Big Bang theory of the origin of the universe and apparently provided evidence that supported the idea that the universe had a beginning.

An Initial Void

A Time Magazine article dated Dec. 1976 said: “Most cosmologists… scientists who study the structure and evolution of the universe, agree that the biblical account of creation, in imagining an initial void, may be uncannily close to the truth.”

Expanding Universe

The prophet Isaiah who lived almost 3,000 years ago stated: "It is He that . . . stretches out the heavens as a curtain, and spreads them out as a tent to dwell in." [Isa. 40:22] Scientists are beginning to understand that the universe is expanding, or stretching out. At least seven times the Scriptures clearly tell us that God stretches out the heavens like a curtain.

I'm going to stop here because there's too much information to cover in one post, and i don't want to "bore you" with scientific facts; that were written about, thousands of years ago. All one has to do, is read that $10.00 novel, some call a "fairy tale"; and all questions will be answered!

Feel free to continue your study of science found in the Bible

Full Definition of SCIENCE
*knowledge about or study of the natural world based on facts learned through experiments and observation

*the state of knowing : knowledge as distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding
"Seek and ye will find.

Well I'm insulted by the first one. This simply isn't true. First of all there is no evidence to support "god", and to say that we are fools for not believing in "god" is madness. Let me ask something: who created god?

Let's just say that it's a lot easier to deny God, and be ignorant to Him. Just so that you may understand where "fool" comes into place.
As for your question, it's age old...I'm not sure what answer is universally accepted if there is one. It may have only been His will in the beginning. But that doesn't sound very logical either, does it? For a will to exist by itself, alone? I'm not sure how to answer the question, but I can assure you, no one else created Him. I can tell you that no other model of the beginning of existence has a logical answer to the very same argument.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join