It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truck Snow Shoes (Track N Go)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I saw this on Dude I Want That. I was watching the video just imagining all the places it could work. I am in Florida so I am good with imagining the snow. I have seen plenty of track mods, but they all looked like they wouldn't last very long. These look like they would be pretty durable.

Anyway I thought this was cool.

Track-N-Go site

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Yes it's pretty cool. I suppose there might be a limited market, but I carried tire "chains" around in my trunk for many years in case I ever needed more traction, and I never did need them, though I wasn't doing any off-roading. They weren't actually chains but a more modern design using cables, lighter and easier to install.

If you were trying to drive off-road, these tracks would be a lot better than chains, but my gosh did you see how much space they take up in the trucks flatbed before installation?

At the end of the OP video click the lower left link to see the installation video. Also I'd say it took a lot of muscle to get the tracks out of the flatbed and onto the truck. When you're done using them, I doubt most people could lift the tracks back onto the truck by themselves without risking injury...they look pretty heavy, so you'd probably need help to remove them. In fact I'm not sure how you take them off...the video doesn't show that part. It does show him driving around in them before the are secured, so obviously you can't just drive out of them. Maybe there is a locking mechanism that permits that though.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I wondered the same thing; watched after the install vid and they did have a removal vid:
Removal video on youtube

but good point as far as putting them back into the bed of the truck. Seems heavy to start with, and im sure built up snow/ice/etc will make this a bit too much for one guy to square away when finished.
edit on 29-1-2014 by ljcsponger87 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ljcsponger87

Thanks for the removal vid link.

Yes, it doesn't show him putting them back in the bed of the truck!

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Definitely one of the coolest things ive seen for a while.

Snow chains? pfff

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this, definitely one of the most useful and coolest things I’ve ever seen.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   
for the limited advantages [ lower ground pressure over snow ] it gains over a true AWD vehicle [ ie diff lock and cross locks ] fitted with chains - the additional baggage this brings is not worth it

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   

ignorant_ape
for the limited advantages [ lower ground pressure over snow ] it gains over a true AWD vehicle [ ie diff lock and cross locks ] fitted with chains - the additional baggage this brings is not worth it

i would like to watch the "top gear" team try to get to the pole with these and normal tires.

Real;ly pout it through its paces because i have my doubts on its true reliability if im being perfectly honest.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
That is freaking awesome!

I could of used that a few weeks ago when we got 2 feet of snow! My truck was stuck in my garage for 4 days! I was used to my GMC Envoy that had 4-wheel drive and refused to get stuck anywhere, unfortunatlry i totaled it when visiting Michigan a few months ago while on vacation. I bought a F-150 (2WD) and thought id be ok in snow...and its's useless!

new topics

top topics

join