It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama vows to pursue gun control ‘with or without Congress’

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

buster2010

Guess you overlooked that the ruling only applies to a persons self defense within their home. Not packing a gun around like Wyatt Earp.

You do realize that gun crime was very very low in the "Wild West" and that "shoot outs" were not even close to what Hollywood has made the numbers out to be, right???

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

macman

buster2010

Guess you overlooked that the ruling only applies to a persons self defense within their home. Not packing a gun around like Wyatt Earp.

You do realize that gun crime was very very low in the "Wild West" and that "shoot outs" were not even close to what Hollywood has made the numbers out to be, right???

I don't know about anyone else but Wyatt Earp is one of my heroes. In fact I'd go as far as to say if most US citizens were open carrying a pistol we'd have a lot less crime and thuggish behavior.

Yeah there may be a certain painful adjustment period for the gangbangers and criminals but IMO that's OK. In the end we'd be better off by far.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
U.N. Treaty Requires US To Hand Over American Gun Registrations

Several places in the treaty text, including Article 5, require all countries to “establish and maintain a national control system, including a national control list.” Moreover, it declares, “Each State Party is encouraged to apply the provisions of this Treaty to the broadest range of conventional arms.”

Article 5, Section 4 says each State Party “shall provide its national control list to the Secretariat, which shall make it available to other States Parties.”

Gun Control is in the works. It will take at least another generation to do it peacefully in the US. The younger people are more in favor in gun control and our education system is very pro gun control.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008), was a landmark case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held in a 5-4 decision that the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution applies to federal enclaves and protects an individual's right to possess a firearm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. The decision did not address the question of whether the Second Amendment extends beyond federal enclaves to the states,[1] which was addressed later by McDonald v. Chicago (2010). It was the first Supreme Court case to decide whether the Second Amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear arms for self-defense.[2]

On June 26, 2008, the Supreme Court affirmed the Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit in Heller v. District of Columbia.[3][4] The Supreme Court struck down provisions of the Firearms Control Regulations Act of 1975 as unconstitutional, determined that handguns are "arms" for the purposes of the Second Amendment, found that the Regulations Act was an unconstitutional ban, and struck down the portion of the Regulations Act that requires all firearms including rifles and shotguns be kept "unloaded and disassembled or bound by a trigger lock." "Prior to this decision the Firearms Control Regulation Act of 1975 also restricted residents from owning handguns except for those registered prior to 1975."

District of Columbia v. Heller

reply to post by buster2010

protects an individual's right to possess a firearm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home
The "Home" reference was an example (observe the ", such as" part) as stated in the Court's response, not limiting anything else.

This may be the better part with more meaning and perhaps precedence.....;

It was the first Supreme Court case to decide whether the Second Amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear arms for self-defense

The cases are complicated.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I laugh every time I think about Obama taking guns away from most of the people I know. lol It will never happen people. Don't worry. He can "by-pass congress" all he wants to. It means squat.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

CTFD, gun control is not gun confiscation. Why do all of the gun nuts immediately take everything to an extreme. The man wants screening, and bans on automatic weapons. The last time I checked, deer, antelope and wild boar don't need to be taken down with AR-15s. Nor do those animals wear bullet proof vests. The gun lobby is beyond retarded. With statistics from all around the world showing how skewed their perception is they still cling to a line in your constitution that was written in a time where the wild was just past your front doorstep and the nation was in danger of being invaded by aggressive external powers. None of those conditions exist anymore including the fact that the most dangerous of weapons was a musket. 30 round mags, automatic weapons, high powered rifles (50cal) exist only for one reason... to kill human beings and frankly the notion that more than 70% of your nation is armed and roughly a quarter of those have weapons of that nature is mind boggling.
Get a grip, not on another gun but on your freakin' common sense.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Wiregrab

The last time I checked, deer, antelope and wild boar don't need to be taken down with AR-15s. Nor do those animals wear bullet proof vests.

Last time I checked you or Obama weren't the ultimate arbitrators on rifle style or calibers either. For your information the Remington .223 (AR15) is one of the best varmint rounds available. Also a hoot to shoot or are you part of the fun police as well?

With statistics from all around the world showing how skewed their perception is they still cling to a line in your constitution that was written in a time where the wild was just past your front doorstep and the nation was in danger of being invaded by aggressive external powers.

Obviously you're not American, am I right? Believe me we've got tons of wilderness and barrens here.
ETA - It's not the "external powers" that most of us are concerned with.
ETA2 - We love our Constitution and that "line" is very important to us.

None of those conditions exist anymore including the fact that the most dangerous of weapons was a musket. 30 round mags, automatic weapons, high powered rifles (50cal) exist only for one reason... to kill human beings and frankly the notion that more than 70% of your nation is armed and roughly a quarter of those have weapons of that nature is mind boggling.

So you're saying you it's preferable to be shot by musket than .50 caliber? You're probably not saying that but here's the deal, musket or .50 caliber weapons are ultimately used for the same thing, defense, hunting or sport shooting. That you think this is wrong is fine, everyone's entitled to an opinion. Just don't try forcing it on other people.

I've been shooting since I was a young boy, through my time in the military and for decades beyond. I'm quite well trained in firearms as many of my fellow countrymen are. I suspect you are not.
edit on 179pm4242pm92014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

The man wants screening, and bans on automatic weapons.

Automatic firearms are already banned under the National Firearms Act (NFA). You can only buy an automatic weapon if you have a ton of cash to throw around, and get approved by the ATF. Plus, there's very few machine guns for sale nowdays.

en.wikipedia.org...

An automatic rifle is a type of magazine-fed rifle that uses either its recoil or a portion of the gas propelling the projectile to remove the spent cartridge case, cock the rifle, load a new cartridge and fire again repeatedly, as long as the trigger is held down or until the magazine is exhausted.

en.wikipedia.org...

Machine guns—this includes any firearm which can fire more than 1 cartridge per trigger pull. Both continuous fully automatic fire and "burst fire" (i.e., firearms with a 3-round burst feature) are considered machine gun features. The weapon's receiver is by itself considered to be a regulated firearm. A non-machinegun that may be converted to fire more than one shot per trigger pull by ordinary mechanical skills is classed as a machinegun, such as a TEC-9 pistol (pre-ban ones are "grandfathered").

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Bassago

The last time I checked, deer, antelope and wild boar don't need to be taken down with AR-15s. Nor do those animals wear bullet proof vests.

Last time I checked you or Obama weren't the ultimate arbitrators on rifle style or calibers either. For your information the Remington .223 (AR15) is one of the best varmint rounds available. Also a hoot to shoot or are you part of the fun police as well?

With statistics from all around the world showing how skewed their perception is they still cling to a line in your constitution that was written in a time where the wild was just past your front doorstep and the nation was in danger of being invaded by aggressive external powers.

Obviously you're not American, am I right? Believe me we've got tons of wilderness and barrens here.
ETA - It's not the "external powers" that most of us are concerned with.
ETA2 - We love our Constitution and that "line" is very important to us.

None of those conditions exist anymore including the fact that the most dangerous of weapons was a musket. 30 round mags, automatic weapons, high powered rifles (50cal) exist only for one reason... to kill human beings and frankly the notion that more than 70% of your nation is armed and roughly a quarter of those have weapons of that nature is mind boggling.

So you're saying you it's preferable to be shot by musket than .50 caliber? You're probably not saying that but here's the deal, musket or .50 caliber weapons are ultimately used for the same thing, defense, hunting or sport shooting. That you think this is wrong is fine, everyone's entitled to an opinion. Just don't try forcing it on other people.

I've been shooting since I was a young boy, through my time in the military and for decades beyond. I'm quite well trained in firearms as many of my fellow countrymen are. I suspect you are not.
edit on 179pm4242pm92014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

And I'll bet he doesn't even know that the two main musket models used during that "old period" were .69 caliber (French Charlevile) and .75 caliber (Brown Bess), both of which are LARGER bore calibers that his dreaded .50 caliber. Also, being smooth bore, they were actually more dangerous since they were inaccurate beyond 30 yards!

Just another mis/uninformed fear monger anti-gun "nut" that trembles and hides from every shadow.

Sad really...

ETA: And, that is not even mentioning the really DANGEROUS and most LETHAL weapons of the day, the long rifle and field cannon (which, btw, you can legally own a black powder musket replicas that are 100% functional, as well as a field cannon too).

edit on 1/30/2014 by Krakatoa because: Added addendum thoughts

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   

pyramid head
reply to post by Bassago

I knew he was going to say it, but I still didn't believe it when I heard it. The whole address was more vile than I could have imagined. He basically said he is going to do what he wants, congress be damned, and they stood and clapped.........
THEY ALL STOOD AND CLAPPED.
I really hope I am over-reacting, but history does not bode well for us as a nation. It is so nauseating to see the monsters lie and clap and applaud each other for an entire hour. Then they trotted out the TEN tour vet, had to turn it off, treason...treason.

I'm not doing the "Obama is bad as Hitler!" but I do a lot of history research and was watching thousands applaud to a man that started out 'for the people' then slowly took more and more control from the people until they were enslaved by his regime..... and grew to hate him, we might wonder how that can happen but all we have to do is take a look around us, it's happening in America! As usual we STILL have the Obama lover's that is either embarrassed they voted and still support him or else they continue to believe his lies as he slowly disassembles our country!

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Wiregrab
reply to post by Bassago

CTFD, gun control is not gun confiscation. Why do all of the gun nuts immediately take everything to an extreme. The man wants screening, and bans on automatic weapons. The last time I checked, deer, antelope and wild boar don't need to be taken down with AR-15s. Nor do those animals wear bullet proof vests. The gun lobby is beyond retarded. With statistics from all around the world showing how skewed their perception is they still cling to a line in your constitution that was written in a time where the wild was just past your front doorstep and the nation was in danger of being invaded by aggressive external powers. None of those conditions exist anymore including the fact that the most dangerous of weapons was a musket. 30 round mags, automatic weapons, high powered rifles (50cal) exist only for one reason... to kill human beings and frankly the notion that more than 70% of your nation is armed and roughly a quarter of those have weapons of that nature is mind boggling.

No, gun control is not gun confiscation.

However,gun control IS victim disarmament.

...and just so we're clear, the Second Amendment isn't solely about protecting ourselves from wolves, bears,outside intruders, etc.. It's about providing the people with a set of checks and balances on overreaching power and ultimately a path towards overthrowing a tyrannical government if need be. Recent events show that the Second is more important than ever.

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
edit on 30-1-2014 by wills120 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Krakatoa

Just another mis/uninformed fear monger anti-gun "nut" that trembles and hides from every shadow.

Sad really...

This is hilarious..a gun nut talking about someone living in fear. Gun nuts are the one who are the cowards or that's how they love to make it sound.

No more from me...the gun nuts get their panties in a bunch when their manhood gets threatened to be taken away.

I do love the usual lies..."guns stop crime.."guns help protect us from government"...etc.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Onslaught2996

This is hilarious..a gun nut talking about someone living in fear. Gun nuts are the one who are the cowards or that's how they love to make it sound.

No more from me...the gun nuts get their panties in a bunch when their manhood gets threatened to be taken away.

I do love the usual lies..."guns stop crime.."guns help protect us from government"...etc.

Naww I disagree.

The real gun nuts are the criminals that use guns to commit crimes.

And sometimes those nuts get scared when confronted with their own medicine.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Onslaught2996

Krakatoa

Sad really...

And being from Regina, Saskatchewan Canada you're an American gun and societal expert exactly why?

I guarantee you guns stop crimes at my house. Your mileage may vary.

edit on 256pm4343pm112014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Onslaught2996

Krakatoa

Sad really...

I see, because I disagree with you, I am a "gun nut". Thanks, if that means I respect and honor the Constitution of the United States, then, I wear it as a badge of honor. The only thing I fear is that you and those that want to trample the Constitution might be successful. If the goal is to repeal the 2nd Amendment, then there is a valid an legal way to do that. Unfortunately, it is long and messy and makes some peoples head hurt.....and, being impatient, they want to forgo all the legalities and rip it to shreds because "they think it's for the best" and "for the children".

Sad really...

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Onslaught2996

Krakatoa

Sad really...

Then maybe we should focus on taking guns away from those "law enforcement" gun nuts. Those cowards don't need guns to stop crime, and they sure as heck kill more people than random lunatics shooting up schools and malls.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Bassago

Onslaught2996

Krakatoa

Sad really...

And being from Regina, Saskatchewan Canada you're an American gun and societal expert exactly why?

I guarantee you guns stop crimes at my house. Your mileage may vary.

edit on 256pm4343pm112014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

I would like to know how you know my city, province and country since I have never divulged any of that information. Are you using some type of tracking software on members?

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Onslaught2996

I would like to know how you know my city, province and country since I have never divulged any of that information. Are you using some type of tracking software on members?

Er, no. You put that info into your introduction post.

Your Introduction Thread

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Let me apologize for accusing you of malicious behavior...my mistake. Rarely post and forgot. Mods forget my alert...it was my idiotic fault.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join