It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your insight into life in New Zealand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I'm in the US, and have always heard wonderful things about New Zealand -- from a tourism standpoint.

Am wondering what it would be like to actually leave the US and reside there?

Any US expats in NZ now or in recent past?
Anyone planning to make the move?
I'm someone who has 25 years experience in communications/PR type of work. Am a senior manager. For those who live in NZ, is it even remotely possible to find an employer willing to look at a CV/resume from someone out of the country?

Pros/cons of NZ life?

Best places to live/work? (I'd have to be a renter)
Pros/cons of North vs South?
Crime? Hazards? Concerns?

Would just be me, my kids are over 18 and wouldn't join me.

It's probably a real pipe dream, but I've always been interested in NZ, but suddenly tonight I went on the immigration site and signed up for emails/info.

Would love to hear feedback...thanks!

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Galadriel

I'm very interested in this as well. Will definitely be watching this thread.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

The biggest pro for living there I've heard is the fly fishing for Brown trout. Absolutely fabulous if you're into that kind of thing.

And if you're not into fishing there's always the Hobbits.

ETA - I'm in the US but live in NZ in my dreams.

edit on 117pm0404pm72014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ArrowsNV

Are you from the US or elsewhere? Just curious.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Bassago

The biggest pro for living there I've heard is the fly fishing for Brown trout. Absolutely fabulous if you're into that kind of thing.

And if you're not into fishing there's always the Hobbits.

Well, seeing that I'm "Galadriel" from Lord of the Rings, I guess Hobbits would be grand!

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Galadriel
reply to post by ArrowsNV

Are you from the US or elsewhere? Just curious.

Yeah, US here. Hoping to one day move to NZ.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Hi I'm in NZ. Answer some of your questions. Pretty much if you can contributed to NZ society your welcome and allowed in. We have a lot of immigrants from Polynesian area all the time which is cool. North island more people and warmer. South island is cold in winter but vast areas untouched by humans. When a murder happens here it is national news. Cops don't carry guns and will wave and say hi if you do the same .
I feel safe walking down the street at night but as everywhere there are some areas I wouldn't go walking at night.
Our government has just started selling the countries resources ( deep sea drilling blah blah) and a lot of protests about that.
But all in all awesome place to live.
We are pretty layed back. If your not a wanker and can take a joke you will be fine.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Ahh NZ! Definately a favorite vacation spot for me and the wife. We visited recently for a few weeks in November and often debate trying to relocate there ourselves.

Pros: Comfortable weather temps year round, gorgeous mountain views, beautiful clear blue water - basically a dream place if you enjoy being outdoors. The locals are very nice easy-going people (even to americans
) and I've found them to also be open-minded, for example on conspiratorial topics. Here's a pic I snapped in the south island near Lake Pukaki:

Cons: Not many. The cost of living is little higher than the US. It's a very long flight. I would also say the food -but I've never had much of a taste for english food so I guess that one's debatable.

If you're trying to find a job in your field, then certainly hit the larger cities first - Auckland, Nelson, Christchurch. If you're just trying to get your foot in the door to relocate then you might consider something in the tourism industry; we've come across many American tourguides. Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   

ZeussusZ

Hi I'm in NZ. Answer some of your questions. Pretty much if you can contributed to NZ society your welcome and allowed in. We have a lot of immigrants from Polynesian area all the time which is cool. North island more people and warmer. South island is cold in winter but vast areas untouched by humans. When a murder happens here it is national news. Cops don't carry guns and will wave and say hi if you do the same .
I feel safe walking down the street at night but as everywhere there are some areas I wouldn't go walking at night.
Our government has just started selling the countries resources ( deep sea drilling blah blah) and a lot of protests about that.
But all in all awesome place to live.
We are pretty layed back. If your not a wanker and can take a joke you will be fine.

Thanks for the insights. Are you North or South? A citizen or from elsewhere? Just curious. How do you feel about the economy there and cost of living? If you could live in another part of the country, where might that be and why?

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Galadriel
I'm in the US, and have always heard wonderful things about New Zealand -- from a tourism standpoint.

Am wondering what it would be like to actually leave the US and reside there?

Any US expats in NZ now or in recent past?
Anyone planning to make the move?
I'm someone who has 25 years experience in communications/PR type of work. Am a senior manager. For those who live in NZ, is it even remotely possible to find an employer willing to look at a CV/resume from someone out of the country?

Pros/cons of NZ life?

Best places to live/work? (I'd have to be a renter)
Pros/cons of North vs South?
Crime? Hazards? Concerns?

Would just be me, my kids are over 18 and wouldn't join me.

It's probably a real pipe dream, but I've always been interested in NZ, but suddenly tonight I went on the immigration site and signed up for emails/info.

Would love to hear feedback...thanks!

Hey! I just recently moved to Auckland, NZ and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life. I'm currently finalizing my residency process as we speak.

New Zealand is kind of like what the U.S back in it's golden age. The country is full of opportunity for all types of people, it's a very eclectic place to live.

I would suggest you look into Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, and Nelson as possible places to live. Auckland is the largest city, yet still has this great "big town" feel to it (despite it's growing population)

The weather is perfect, not too hot or cold. The air is phenomenal, and unlike the coast of Northern Cali I am not getting blasted by radiation fallout (from 60+ years of bomb tests + fukushima) --- The hazards are basically the fact that when you move anywhere, your body needs to build new antibodies so getting sick will happen once or twice. Yeah, that's it.
Even the tap water here is amazing.

The people here are extremely friendly, almost naively so. When they hear my American accent, I'm all of a sudden treated like royalty in some areas- which I find really funny.

I was not even financially stable, I'm 24 years old and my main skill was music theory- I'm now a part time dental assistant making a little under 2,000 dollars a month living in a GREAT apartment. The food is great- but everything here *IS* expensive. There is a 10% currency exchange rate from USD to NZD, which helps if you are bringing in cash- but that does not compare to the 40% it was 5-6 years ago unfortunately.

I highly suggest the move, if you're ready.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Oh yeah, South Island = cheaper to live, but closer to Antarctica so therefore colder. I cannot wait to get down there and snowboard, it seems like a really mysterious and beautiful place.

The North is where industry is, but the cities are distributed really well on the island- there's plenty of nature surrounding you wherever you go. Auckland is nestled in the upper North, Wellington taking the south side. Wellington is also a fairly inexpensive place to live I hear, and I may end up living there in the coming years.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   

cleverhans
Ahh NZ! Definately a favorite vacation spot for me and the wife. We visited recently for a few weeks in November and often debate trying to relocate there ourselves.

Pros: Comfortable weather temps year round, gorgeous mountain views, beautiful clear blue water - basically a dream place if you enjoy being outdoors. The locals are very nice easy-going people (even to americans
) and I've found them to also be open-minded, for example on conspiratorial topics. Here's a pic I snapped in the south island near Lake Pukaki:

Cons: Not many. The cost of living is little higher than the US. It's a very long flight. I would also say the food -but I've never had much of a taste for english food so I guess that one's debatable.

If you're trying to find a job in your field, then certainly hit the larger cities first - Auckland, Nelson, Christchurch. If you're just trying to get your foot in the door to relocate then you might consider something in the tourism industry; we've come across many American tourguides. Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

Lovely pic!
Yes, I'm a nature lover - and really need to be outdoors to feel well. I'm not a foodie, so as long as I can eat fresh fruits/veggies, I'm good.

A drawback for me would be the cost and length of flights to visit the family back in the States periodically.

I love Ireland myself, and have been there many times, but not sure I could handle the dreary winter or all the rain. I've thought about living there many times, but wasn't able to make the move for a variety of reasons, and now the economy isn't strong. I met a French woman there who ran a B&B who was just about as depressed as one could be come winter, and had to go back to France often to get some sun and cheer.

NZ seems (from afar and only from the comfort of my living room on the internet) to be "cheerful" and a bit more sunshiny

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   

ThinkingCap

Galadriel

Hey! I just recently moved to Auckland, NZ and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life. I'm currently finalizing my residency process as we speak.

New Zealand is kind of like what the U.S back in it's golden age. The country is full of opportunity for all types of people, it's a very eclectic place to live.

I would suggest you look into Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, and Nelson as possible places to live. Auckland is the largest city, yet still has this great "big town" feel to it (despite it's growing population)

The weather is perfect, not too hot or cold. The air is phenomenal, and unlike the coast of Northern Cali I am not getting blasted by radiation fallout (from 60+ years of bomb tests + fukushima) --- The hazards are basically the fact that when you move anywhere, your body needs to build new antibodies so getting sick will happen once or twice. Yeah, that's it.
Even the tap water here is amazing.

The people here are extremely friendly, almost naively so. When they hear my American accent, I'm all of a sudden treated like royalty in some areas- which I find really funny.

I was not even financially stable, I'm 24 years old and my main skill was music theory- I'm now a part time dental assistant making a little under 2,000 dollars a month living in a GREAT apartment. The food is great- but everything here *IS* expensive. There is a 10% currency exchange rate from USD to NZD, which helps if you are bringing in cash- but that does not compare to the 40% it was 5-6 years ago unfortunately.

I highly suggest the move, if you're ready.

First - awesome that you are so young and made such a huge decision and move!
And congrats on the job and apt. Would you mind me asking roughly what you pay for rent - assuming it's a 1 bedroom or studio apt?
Would love to have you pop into the this thread down the road and provide a few updates on how you are finding your transition going and what you've learned.
Best of luck!

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

I'm in the north island. Born here. Cost of living is OK. Our dairy products are very expensive considering we make a lot of it here, something to do with international prices or something that's how they justifie it.
Rent is cheap out of the cities.
If I could I would live Taupo or Queenstown. Both have Huge lake for swimming, fishing, boating etc in summer and a mountain 1 hour away for skiing/ snowboarding in winter. They are a tourist town though so prices are high, but once your a local you soon find where to get " local prices".
edit on 28-1-2014 by ZeussusZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Hi,

I'm a Brit but moved to New Zealand in 2008 on a 2 year work to residency visa. I am an intensive care nurse. I spent 6 months in Whangarei (pronounced fongeray), about 2 hours north of Auckland. Paradise is an understatement. If you are into outdoor healthy living I can thoroughly recommend it. I met quite a few British families with young children there and they said it was the best thing they ever did moving there.

Being a single traveller it was a bit too quiet for me so got a job in Christchurch. The 4 day road trip to get there was just amazing. Christchurch has a British feel to it and although a city, I never had problems with traffic jams or parking. Drive 10 minutes west and you hit miles of beautiful beaches. Drive 10 minutes east and you are in countryside which can only be described as what God intended, ie untainted.

I found the cost of living slightly more than the UK but house prices are a lot cheaper. Healthcare is government funded and very advanced. You cannot sue anyone in NZ and everyone pays 1% of their salary into an accident fund. if you have an accident the fund pays your salary. I worked with a Texan nurse in Christchurch and she and her husband and kids have been there years. I know that IT professionals are in demand. Have you tried approaching an agency for employment. That is what I did and secured employment after a telephone interview (common in NZ). My work to residence visa took 48 hours!

Unfortunately I had to come back as my stepfather developed cancer and it was too far away to support my parents. He died 2 years ago today. I think once my mum has passed on I will return but will go to Wellington instead. I loved the atmosphere there but it can be windy!

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Born and raised in New Zealand for 20 mellow years. Best part besides all the pretty stuff, turning 18 and being able to go to all the 'underground' bars in Wellington, (finally legally being able to drink), and checking out all the amazing live NZ bands and musicians here hidden and undiscovered. If you ever move, go to Wellington if you want a wide range of cultural and creative diversities and acceptance. One night out in Wellington will send you on an unexpected journey of meeting the most interesting people ever.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by earthblaze

earthblaze - lover the avatar name!

Thanks - that's a great deal of insight and I appreciate it.

My parents are in their 80s so I'm not sure if I can go yet or not. We had a small scare recently which revealed just how dependent they are becoming on having me nearby. I put off travel and moving away many a time for my kids and parents, so I'm more than ready for some type of new adventure.

Sounds lovely. Wellington does sound interesting. I'm not sure Auckland would work for me, but it's probably where the most jobs are that I might be able to find.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Sphinxxx
Born and raised in New Zealand for 20 mellow years. Best part besides all the pretty stuff, turning 18 and being able to go to all the 'underground' bars in Wellington, (finally legally being able to drink), and checking out all the amazing live NZ bands and musicians here hidden and undiscovered. If you ever move, go to Wellington if you want a wide range of cultural and creative diversities and acceptance. One night out in Wellington will send you on an unexpected journey of meeting the most interesting people ever.

Okay, you have just made me laugh out loud for real! I'm not quite as young as you - meaning I have a kid your age - so I wouldn't be heading to underground bars but it sounds pretty fun
Although I'm a big fan of all sorts of music, the more indie type, but again, you would all point and laugh and tell me to go home!

Wellington in general from what I'm reading sounds like a place I'd enjoy.

join