It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Make stars and flags relevant - Or: How to improve the quality of ATS and make people happy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I have seen many good well researched threads with few flags and few post, I never understand why,maybe it is because they have few flags, and people assume.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

ownbestenemy
reply to post by Mamatus

I can understand that, but I have seen well crafted posts fall by the way side because they don't invoke the emotional response as some others may; leading to a quality post not garnering flags and stars, but the more diverse arguments gaining notoriety.

I think the system in place has room for improvement, but giving away free stuff isn't going to increase the quality. That is decided by the community for the most part.

Indeed, more and more as of late emotional commentary is what garners attention over what used to be more of information sharing and denying ignorance.
Acknowledging the shift in the member "audience" or as some like to say "for the entertainment" too is good to think about.

To keep in mind for the newer members, ATS has not always had the star/flag system, though as brought up above and to add, the member "audience" has changed, reverting back to what was probably won't help. Perhaps even giving away free stuff in exchange for points won't either if the commentary mostly is in favor of emotional response which causes a lot of masked ad hominem attacks.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Evening,

No insult intended but who cares about stars and flags anyways?
I certainly don't pay any attention to them and they don't form my opinion on other members or the content they post.
But I'm funny like that...

-Peace-

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Sometimes, a thread is so comprehensive, that one can scarcely summon to mind an addition, or amendment to add to it, without that addition being superfluous. Perhaps the threads you mention fall into that category. It is also possible that the threads you mention, were authored at a time where there was a fast moving situation, or a vast amount of threads being authored on the same day, and thusly got caught up on the ebb and flow of the site traffic. That is unfortunate, but hardly normal.

In my experience, good threads which have been noticed get flags, and good posts get stars. There are exceptions, but not enough to change the rule.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Jumping back in here again...50% of the readers would like and agree with what you post, 50% wont. So what is the point trying to overly please the 50% that doesnt?

Its a pointless system with no real merits that I see. Not when all we are doing is sharing thoughts and ideas. So now, I should look for class credit everytime I say something?

They could do away with them entirely and we wouldnt lose a tiny drop in membership or the amount of content and replies.

My glovebox in my car is filled with FREE CHEESEBURGER coupons from Wendys I got form buying things there. So what?

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   
So peace to all and pm me to become my friend and I will show you the way .

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I really don't like tee shirts, but if anyone wants to send me Zimbabwe 1 Billion Dollar Notes, that'd be way cool.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Every star and flag you give someone is used to profile you. We now know what you are secretly thinking.

Lol, just kidding. I think they're only good for showing support to fellow members, so receiving them is their own reward... but accumulating them is useless.

Could maybe even remove them from profiles to remove the temptation of people asking for stuff?

You say you aren't in need, so why are the stars and flags not enough for you, as is? Do you really need a physical trophy to show off?

If they gave out real stuff, it would fuel feuds and spite, attract spammers, etc. It is problematic.

That's my opinion, anyway.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Firstly....Who the hell thinks stars and flags are for bragging? Its a completely pointless system...but I can see how some of these people who greatly appreciate the pat on the back for placing up some thread.....baffles me how small minded people are.

And a T-shirt? Who wants a t-shirt? I know that some on here can't afford a t-shirt and a free one might be of use to them but no one needs stuff for writing their nonsense on here.

Just enjoy it for what it is.....a simplistic way to feed your line of whatever to the rest of the people on here. NO REWARD NEEDED. relax and chill out.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

So you only want people to comment or make threads that appeal to the masses (and current mainstream) thinking?

I am confused with your request sir.

.....if we only want things to make us happy....how can we learn new things...?

But I find it odd that I was thinking something similar today.

Instead of awarding those with mainstream topic posts - why not have a free T-shirt prize for those who partake in the weekly ATS live topics? Work it like a radioshow would - 10th caller (correct caller) gets X points. At the end of the night - a single person wins a T-shirt. (but limit them to 1 shirt per month or something like that.) (can count the chat room points in too I guess)

I'd be willing to fund a single T-shirt to get this started ($26 buck limit). I understand that the ATS live shows are part of ATS, but are also funded by members in a way.

-CN

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Why not just adopt Dogecoin and use them for tips like Reddit, Twitter, Facebook and many other sites?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join