It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A glorious idea, must read

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This site has become almost unusable lately with all of these terrible ads splattered across each page. I have 5 tabs open for 5 different threads on here, maybe i am listening to music in the background through my headphones...why in the world do you insist on ads that autoplay and ruin the posters train of thought? I've been startled numerous times with an unexpected HEY THERE BLAH BLAH AD going on switching between tabs trying to find which of the 57395739457 ads is playing sound without my permission

Is it even remotely possible to have a function for each user to MUTE SOUNDS BY DEFAULT?

oh and btw it's pretty stellar when 3 or 4 ads are running at once

(post by Jarring removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

ThinkYouSpeak
reply to post by Jarring

same, it blocks youtube ads and every popup/ad on other sites but has no effect on here
also not every person here uses chrome or firefox with adblocker enabled

Odd, I haven't gotten a single ad while I was here.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
You can mute browser sounds from Mixer if you have Windows. Not sure does the option appear when ads are playing, but at least when you are watching video from YouTube, you can mute browser without muting everything else.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I don't really get ads on this site anymore. Though I use Opera. Have you tried just muting the sound on your computer?

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
We are not supposed to use adblockers on ATS. It is a violation of the terms. However my friends computer uses Firefox and when I when I asked him how come he did not have a mass of ads on ATS he said it was an extension that could be added for free to Firefox called AdBlocker.

Seemed to work for him.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I do not use an ad-blocker on ATS (they are against T&C!) but when I'm logged in, I rarely see any ads.

There is no way for a web site to alter the sound settings on your computer, you might want to see if there is a setting in your browser preferences to block sound from web pages (there is not such a setting on Safari for MacOS, something that I've never understood them leaving out.)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

There is a way! Just the other day I was on a site that had an embedded video. Every time I turned off the sound (on my toolbar not theirs) it popped back on in a few seconds. No other sites have ever done that to me so I have to make the assumption it was not my setting but something the website did.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
**ATTENTION**

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

ATS Terms & Conditions

Please do not use ad-blockers on ATS. If you have a problematic ad that opens sound in auto play or anything else that's not standard, please see this thread:

Worst Ads Ever!

Otherwise you can file an alert with staff. As a member of ATS, you generally will see less ads then non-logged in members.

As well the more you contribute, the less ads you will see, until they are basically entirely gone.

For more information please visit the thread above, or file an alert with staff.

Thread Closed.

~Tenth
ATS Super Mod

new topics

top topics

join