It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine Prime Minister Azarov Resigns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovich has accepted the resignation of PM Nikolay Azarov and his cabinet, according to a decree on the presidential website. The cabinet will continue to work until a new government is formed.

The prime minister submitted his resignation earlier Tuesday, explaining that his move was motivated by efforts to peacefully resolve the current crisis in the country.

Ukraine Prime Minister Azarov Resigns

So, looks like the Ukrainian people have reached a turning point, this opens up for early elections and (hopefully) an end to the violence, although I seriously doubt that.

The only thing I can hope for now is that the extremists don't take power and a reasonable Government is put in place.

I will keep this short and sweet because the story speaks for itself!

Good luck to our Brothers and Sisters in the east, I wish them all the best.

Mettā ~

Note to mods - Could not find story on search, please delete if a duplicate
edit on 28-1-2014 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Yea! That seems like good news on the surface anyway. I slept in today and have to read up on whether before resigning that horrible law was repealed though. (edit: I am reading that they repealed it!) Something had to give before things deteriorated into martial law, which was the threat made yesterday. There is so much internationally recognized corruption at the top in that country. Maybe now everyone can catch their breath and allow constructive solutions to emerge. Ukraine is divided almost in half by the Dnipro River, which traverses Ukraine north to south and thus divides the country into east (pro-Russian) and west (pro-EU). The people of Ukraine have fought long and hard to become independent and deserve to determine their own fate.

The Canadian parliament met in an emergency session last evening in order to determine what actions/sanctions it could impose etc. Canada has a large Ukrainian diaspora who have been demonstrating in this frigid weather. So here's hoping and praying that order returns and that their next government proves to be more representative of their population's wishes.
edit on 28-1-2014 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

A few updates:

15:42 GMT:
Deputy Prime Minister Sergey Arbuzov will serve as acting prime minister until a new government is formed, a press secretary for Azarov told the Interfax news agency

15:42 GMT:
Azarov has said that he made “a very difficult decision” to resign from his post in order to provide an opportunity for all political forces to come to a compromise and end the political crisis in Ukraine.

16:34 GMT:
European Council President Herman Van Rompuy has strongly condemned the violence in Ukraine and called for those responsible to be prosecuted. He also urged for freedom of assembly and expression to be respected in the country. Van Rompuy’s statement comes after the EU-Russia Summit in Brussels.

I will keep you all posted
edit on 28-1-2014 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

I was heartened when I read this as last night someone was interviewed that said they would not stop protesting until the man whose luxurious lifestyle and comfort they were no longer prepared to provide left politics.

For me its the first blow against the elite and those who think they can live off the backs of the people. Well done Ukrainians. Pleased you got what you worked so hard protesting for. Hope this is making some of the disliked wealthy politicians - Yes David I mean you - sit up and think that the people do have the power to get rid of you and your ilk.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Shiloh7

Yes we can only hope, however I feel that the elite getting scared of us is not a good thing, they will be better prepared and better armed...

At least we know it's possible.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

18:01 GMT:
Catherine Ashton, the EU’s foreign policy chief, is to meet Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovich and the opposition on Wednesday, Ashton’s press service said. Ashton, who is High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and European Commission Vice-President, has traveled to Ukraine to mediate negotiations between the country’s government and the opposition.
(sic)

I am interested to know who this 'opposition' is that they are meeting with.. If it's the right wingers, then it could definitely be interesting...

top topics

join