It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Wallpaper Competition Entries

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I know people are getting frustrated and to be honest I can relate as I have several submissions in the contest. The fact that the judging hasn’t started yet has nothing to do with the perceived quality of the submissions or lack of respect for the members (and staff) that worked hard on their images.

We had a server change and somehow that messed up the administrator’s ability to do some necessary coding required for the contest. I hate to say it again but please be patient as I’m sure they are attempting to correct the problem. The contest hasn’t been thrown away or forgotten.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
The contest wasn't thrown away, just missplaced!!

Please accept my sincerest apologies for this tremendously overdue announcement.

Based on the user responses from this competition, I am very pleased to announce the winners for each category as:

Thematic: Seth76

Artistic: Durden

Deny Ignorance: kinglizard

Each lucky winner has been topped up with 15000 ATS points.

Well done everyone, all the entries were brilliant examples of the wide imaginations of the ATS community.

[edit on 28-6-2005 by SimonGray]

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Well done!!!!

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Blimey, that was quick. Well done all.

JAK

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Congratulations to the winners and to everyone who took part for the high standard of work all round.

Here are the winners entries:

Seth76

Durden

Kinglizard

Jak

SMR

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
That was very quick...too quick.
Congrates to all winners

I thought there was going to be a vote by members on this?
It seems that judging was based on the few member responses which really isnt a vote is it?

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SMR
I thought there was going to be a vote by members on this?
It seems that judging was based on the few member responses which really isnt a vote is it?

We received a very substantial amount of U2Us which is how the judging was done. All U2U "deliverences" were forwarded to me and the three brilliant graphic artist winners came out as Seth, Durden and the lizard.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimonGray
We received a very substantial amount of U2Us which is how the judging was done. All U2U "deliverences" were forwarded to me and the three brilliant graphic artist winners came out as Seth, Durden and the lizard.

niiice job everyone

BTW simon, niiice avatar

i cannot say where its from because i might get a warning

SMR

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I guess I didnt get the memo on sending U2U for voting....

Oh well, my vote may have not changed the results anyway...

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Congrats to the winners!! WOOOOHOO!!

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Wow, that was anti-climatic! I didn't even have a chance to start fuming again!

A BIG HUGE thank you to everyone who responded! Thank you to all the ATSers that provided the inspiration, and putting the image of an alien surfing the internet into my mind. Thank you to the moderators for listening to my complaining. And thank you to SimonGray for making it all possible by starting this board. I would give my girlfriend a big thank you for understanding(?) the time that I put into this however, we split up (thank god.)

I'd like to give everyone the opportunity to download a large copy of the desktop. It's not quite visible in the smaller copy of the image, but the abovetopsecret.com web page was translated into "alien." I'm actually rendering a big copy right now so I'll post it when done. Probably after dinner...

Also, if anyone is interested I can post a short walk through of the steps that I made to create the image.

SMR, I was under the understanding that it was going to be voted on too. I didn't get that memo either. I hope nobody has any hard feelings about how the contest ensued and ended. Everyone's entries were great.

[edit on 28/6/2005 by Seth76]

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
what do they win?

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Apologies again for the confusion on this contest. Server changeovers are always a great way to create confusion and turn procrastination into pure forgetfullness.

Anyway, the Runners-Up have been tabulated and....

2nd Place finishers, winning 5000 points each:

Thematic: ZeddicusZulZorander

Artistic: Superduperman

Deny Ignorance: Xphiles

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Congrats ALL, they are all very very good!

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Congratulations everyone......I really enjoyed all the submissions entered in the contest. We have some really talented people here at ATS. Good job all......

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   
As promised, here is the larger desktop if anyone wants to get it. It shows the good and the bad in more detail.

Click to Open (1600 x 1200 pixels)
899 KB

Also, while this image is rendering tonight I wrote an outline of what I did to create the image. I hope I'm not gloating. If I am, I'm allowed to a little right?

The picture was created, for the most part in Lightwave 3D. I started with the alien's head; why not get the hardest part done first. I moved on to the body and hands after I thought the head looked right.

No endomorphs or bones were created to animate the aliens because this is just a still shot. An endomorph in the world of computer animation is a second set of geometry that can be used to modify the first. The gestures and facial features were individually setup on two separate models.

The inside of the alien craft is simply a stretched out toroid (doughnut) shape. All of the colors on the inside of the craft were mostly added with lighting. This had the dual purpose of adding semi-realistic lighting and making a smooth eerie glow in the background. Getting the lighting to look right ended up being a pain in the rear.

The floating screen is simply a square with an image map on it. I went into my web browser and changed the default font to an "alien" font and took a screen shot. The image was then cropped (with Infranview I think, if anyone is keeping track) and then loaded into Lightwave. The glow around the outside of the screen was an after effect filter.

I left a lot of specifics out
, but that is the basic outline in less than 300 words.

Enjoy!

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I'd like to thank all who voted, the ats-staff, the jury and most of all my family who stood by me during the difficult times of creative anguish throughout this exciting competition.

Looking at the high creative level of all the entries, I can only say that I'm honored and proud to be part of the ats-community.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Very well done everyone and congrats to the winners and runners up!

The members of ATS never cease to surprise me with their skill. I've got a bunch of these sitting in a folder on my computer, they really are fantastic.
AWESOME job.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Good job guys.

Congratulations to the winners. This was fun competing against talented people.

Big thanks to the members of ATS and to the staff who put this together.

Nice little walk through Seth76....

(Hmmm take note.... get a 3D program for next time! hehe
)

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seth76
Wow, that was anti-climatic!

lol. yes indeed

yep, congrats to all the winners and losers.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join