It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google acquires human-like AI company for $500 million, Skynet is now a real possibility!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Scary, and also incredibly intriguing!

Continuing its rather intimidating streak of acquisitions, Google has acquired the British artificial intelligence company DeepMind for around $500 million. There is no doubt that this acquisition is linked to Google’s hiring of futurist and inventor Ray Kurzweil, and the string of eight robotics acquisitions that ended last year with the purchase of Boston Dynamics, one of the world’s biggest names in robotics. We would not be surprised if there was also a connection to Google’s acquisition of Nest, Google Glass, and its Calico life-extension project. All the pieces are now in place for a Google-created Skynet and the robotic Judgment Day apocalypse that would surely follow.

Despite the exorbitant price tag of $400 million, there’s sadly very little public information about DeepMind. In the last few years I have noticed a slightly worrying trend where many acquired companies don’t even have a functioning website — and DeepMind is no different. According to our own in-house neuroscientist, John Hewitt, DeepMind appears to be in the business of creating artificial general intelligence (AGI). The co-founder and apparent brains of the operation, Demis Hassabis, has published some papers on AGI.

Link

I actually own Ray Kurzweil's book The Singularity is Near (mentioned in the article), and he has a very incredibly mind. If anyone is going to predict future technology, it's this man. If you don't already know about him, I highly suggest reading up on his career and ideas.

As for the article, it does really seem as though Google is trying to "monopolize" on future technological advances that will be both unimaginably incredible feats of mankind's mechanical minds, as well as potential threats to the race and planet in it's entirety.

I, for one, am very welcoming to the prospect of a biological-technological convergence, in which technology becomes so advanced that we can transfer our minds into technological bodies and essentially live forever (and even within the last few generations' lifetimes).

What are your thoughts on the matter?

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost147

This AI company, the eight robotics acquisitions plus the company working on extending the Human life an extra 100 years....I'd say Google are the NWO....or very scarily something headed towards what the world is like in the movie Elysium.

Nevertheless....it is only going to be good for the top 5%. The rest of us will no doubt suffer shortened lifespans and policing by AI Robots. They'll leave the planet and wage war with us through their remote controlled systems.

It's not looking pretty.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Google is becoming too powerful.
The sci fI movies used to be so far fetched, but now they are becoming a looking glass into our future.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
My thoughts are we don't need all this tech, even though I'm typing on one right now. It's cool and I need it, but did I really?

I wish life could go back to how it was before it changed into this. Younger generations wouldn't understand this.
Nothing is real anymore and it's sad

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost147

Well you know, remember that " A Corporation is a Person" legislation.

Keep it into consideration when mulling over A.I.

S&F

P.S. Put some lipstick on that pig Avatar of yours.
HooHaa

Link : en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 27-1-2014 by Wildmanimal because: Add Link

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I agree with a previous poster & think google have some NWO/illuminati kind of motives? I find this really disturbing i dont know why i just do, advances in technology are great and everything and alot we can really benefit from but AI and all that i dont think we will benefit from all them old SCI FI movies are all really coming to life now arent they!

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I am an ardent supporter of artificial intelligence and transhumanism so I am more than happy a group as wealthy and influential as Google is taking interest. I hope they invest much.

Google is trying to "monopolize" on future technological advances

Oh I am sure. Such is the nature of big business. At least in the public sector we will reap the benefits if we pay the fee. If this was exclusively done within the military complex where does that leave the average consumer. I think it's inevitable that big business will get behind these types of things and capitalize the crap out of it. Still, for me the most important thing is just to get them developed to begins with. Necessary evil perhaps.
edit on 27-1-2014 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

My thoughts are we don't need all this tech, even though I'm typing on one right now. It's cool and I need it, but did I really?

Well consider that technology is integrated into all fields. Isolate medicine. All the life saving and prolonging advancements technology has brought to us and will continue to. I'd say we not only want it but truly need it.

I wish life could go back to how it was before it changed into this.

You can get pretty darn close. If you really want that.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

" I wish life could go back to how it was before it changed into this"

You can get pretty darn close. If you really want that.

I didn't mean my life, me personally. I meant the whole planet. So it's not possible.

Of course advancements in the medical field are great, but it is also up for being misused

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I hate to say this but....
told you so.
If people spent as much effort in researching as they do ruining posts on here you would have understood ages ago.
'Yes Iridium is a massive conspiracy'
Satan
satellite and tri axial network
cloaking the planet using frequencies.
as for the rest thats coming I can't be bothered to share but hey maybe look at my post above.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   
You should really read my post
Iridium Massive Conspiracy
Its your choice though.
take it or leave it, but one thing is certain
I was right and I am right.

The thing is it may not be their intention but put it this way,
Google as it is, holds a lot of knowledge and information added by every user.
The US intending to replace military with robots, but combining the lot leaves you woll many robots that are or will be independent and following not orders but a program.
What if a program becomes so self aware and takes everything into account and decides we are the enemy because of the destruction to our habitat which in turn would also ruin their place?
Skynet.
Yes I believe you are right and I am pleased that you posted this.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   
You should really read my post
Iridium Massive Conspiracy
Its your choice though.
take it or leave it, but one thing is certain
I was right and I am right.

The thing is it may not be their intention but put it this way,
Google as it is, holds a lot of knowledge and information added by every user.
The US intending to replace military with robots, but combining the lot leaves you woll many robots that are or will be independent and following not orders but a program.
What if a program becomes so self aware and takes everything into account and decides we are the enemy because of the destruction to our habitat which in turn would also ruin their place?
Skynet.
Yes I believe you are right and I am pleased that you posted this.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

Of course advancements in the medical field are great, but it is also up for being misused

That's been true since the dawn of technology and will continue to be. Paralleled with that however is going to be amazing game-changing, life-changing, scientific achievements. Perhaps you don't want to upload to a robot body, but I'm sure you could appreciate the great wealth of knowledge simulated human AI is projected to bring to neurological research and subsequently curing neurological diseases among other things.

This is coming from someone who has in the past largely escaped the modern world by living in self-sustaining 'hippy communes'. I'm one to appreciate the disconnect. Still, technology is going to be the solution to many of our World's problems, and that includes advanced computing as frightening as the imagery make look at the moment.
edit on 28-1-2014 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

There is another thread going about this right now and I commented on it yesterday ,I totally agree with you and will be reading you iridium mass conspiracy peice ,i actually seen a video about weapons technology not long ago about six months and the scary thing is ,the government actually has a robotics company that is called sky net they did name it that on purpose too ,both my boyfriend and I looked at each other jaws dropped and thought no freaking way.all these people who are embracing technology yeah we get it technology is nice it makes things alot easier, quicker and gets things done that humans can not do sometimes, but at the same time technology is only making human life and relationships more difficult and resulting in more wars cuz everyone can't wait to try out their new top secret weapons,like I said in the other thread did anyone even see I robot or terminator ,oh and # robots

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I would actually love to try out an ectoskeleton, robotic arm or leg. Something I could wear over my body parts that don't currently work. If it meant putting a chip in my brain to operate it. Then of course. That's exciting stuff for people with disabilities.

Wouldn't upload my brain or conscience into a robot body though. That would feel like you're trapped.

edit on 28-1-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

That is actually the only acceptable brach of robotics that should be used , prostetics and for other health related issues, for that technology can be useful and is great ,such as the computer Steven hawking uses to talk and move that's fantastic ,even to use technology for fixing enviromental problems and fossil fuel consumption thats fine ,but I'm talking about making full blown robots who move and talk and walk and listen and learn and use tools perform tasks and do as commanded ,we do not need that # in this world,I just think like why don't humans work on their own relationships with other humans, animals,plants ,nature,the earth itself the planet we live ,on communicating with extraterrestrials,working on ourselves instead working on creepy shiny metal pals like they are trying to create some weird cold zombie like companion who they can just tell what to do all the time and it will listen.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

I think the US already has replaced soldiers with robots. Why not?

S&F
edit on 28-1-2014 by game over man because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by game over man

They have a few different kinds out from drones to mules to little wall-e looking things that do recon and can fire,why not exactly it makes it so much easier for them ,less casualties and wicked deadly accuracy.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Great thread
As for the AI forms,if the goal is to free mankind great,but this kind of power can be abused.It will be one or the other I think.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawg61

Precisely! Essentially the human race will either end or progress at unimaginable speeds within the next 100 years. Here's hoping the second.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join