Who uses a vpn?

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Im looking to get a VPN and was wondering if anyone here uses one.

Who do you prefer, and what speeds do you get.

Any info to help me make a good choice would be appreciated.
edit on 1/27/2014 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

I'm pretty syre OpenVPN is free, and decent. Any vpn service would be great. You could also look at i2p which is also free, maybe slower than a vpn though.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Seems openvpn is a pay service, but i2p is free. Im checking it out now. Hope it solves my blacklisting problems.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I use SecurityKISS in Linux and it has been pretty good for me. Here are a couple of links that might help you out with info on several others.

Which VPN Services Take Your Anonymity Seriously?

15 Torrent Freak approved proxies/VPNs by cost, speed, access to iPlayer/London Olympics and more!
edit on 27-1-2014 by zip33991 because: (no reason given)
edit on 27-1-2014 by zip33991 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

shaneslaughta
Seems openvpn is a pay service, but i2p is free. Im checking it out now. Hope it solves my blacklisting problems.

Just google free VPN services. You should come up with something. i2p is great but it can be slow. You can try TOR too, TOR is faster but beware of certain.. places on the internet you do not want to go. But works great for general browsing anonymously.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I use Cisco VPN Client

My speeds are no different, a tad bit of lag when loading something of great size. Other than that I think it works great! (not that the lag is bad, it's almost unnoticeable)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
i tried i2p, its got echelon written all over it. No really, its in the config files and everything. I couldn't get it to work. Still reveals my external ip to websites.

I may go with a paid vpn service. Not that i have something to hide or anything like that. Im trying to bypass some blacklists that are preventing me from using certain sites.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I got the free version of hotspot shield and it works great. It also cured my blacklist problems. I'm now able to browse all the sites i use!
Thus confirming my suspicions. Take that isp whom wont change my ip address. Only downside it i want from 15ms latency to 200ms and cut my throughput in half. Ehh ohh well.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
OHh and i can now access semperfortis.us WOOOOO HOOOO. Take that google!

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

"resove my blacklisting problems..."
An observation? Perhaps resolving your reasons for being "blacklisted" in the 1st place is a more fundemental procedure to move forward on instead of trying to go around-about way...without resolving those issues?

No dis-respect meant...just saying....

*PS c/o ABOUT.COM
"Note on VPN speeds: expect your internet speed to be reduced by up to 75% while you are using your VPN. VPN speeds of 2 to 4 Mbps are common for cheaper VPN's. Speeds of 5 Mbps per second are good. VPN speeds over 15 Mbps are excellent".
edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: none

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

None taken. I posted a rant the other day about my blacklisting. A pc infected with a botnet on my network sending spam emails.
I wiped the system and fixed the problem. I even found the software that caused it.

All is well now except for my isp claiming they cant change my ip or lift my blacklisting. They are however sending me a new modem?
I guess a new hardware mac addy on the network will receive a new ip? Speculating.

I will still use the vpn after i get a new ip addy. Only my servers will be allowed my external address directly.

I'm seeing 50-75% loss in speed, but with my isp its not noticeable.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Boy oh boy! Understood!

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Got a new modem today in the mail. Gave me a new ip. They claim the ips are dynamically assigned to the nat. I dont think they are. I think the device is given an ip when its mac is white listed on the network.

new topics
top topics

join